Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #1

Aqua-Hot

I just purchased a 2001 Monaco Dynasty with the Aqua Hot. When in the diesel mode it works great but turn the diesel off and try to run it on electric and the circuit breaker in the bedroom trips (labeled insta hot) Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, I would like to leave the electric heat on wile plugged into a dedicated 50 amp service.
dairybar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #2

Commercial Member

RE: Aqua-Hot Electric

Probably one of the wires, connectors or thermostats inside of your Aqua-Hot has burned up.

What is the model number of your Aqua-Hot and I will tell you where to look.

- Roger Berke -
Moderator - HydronicRVHeating : Hydronic-RV-Heating
Roger Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Here is a link to an excellant writeup on servicing your AquaHot.
How to Service Your AquaHot System
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #4

Does your MH have a Insta-Hot faucet at the kitchen sink? If it does then is it turned on and do you get hot water out of the smaller Insta-Hot water faucet on the sink? If so then that single circuit breaker cannot support both the Insta-hot heater element and the Aqua-Hot heater element and will trip. If you have a Insta-Hot then either look for a small switch that is labeled Insta-Hot and turn it off or go into the cabinet under the sink and unplug the Insta-Hot from the 110v outlet. My switch is located on the side of the cabinet that the sink sits in. Once you have turned off or unplugged the Insta-Hot then try the Aqua-Hot again and see how it works. If you don't have a Insta-Hot then I would recommend paying attention to Roger Berke previous post. He can walk you through the troubleshooting.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Berke View Post
Probably one of the wires, connectors or thermostats inside of your Aqua-Hot has burned up.

What is the model number of your Aqua-Hot and I will tell you where to look.

- Roger Berke -
Moderator - HydronicRVHeating : Hydronic-RV-Heating
Roger, The model # is AHE-100-01S-12VDC. I looked at your schedule but unfortunately you are on the other side of the country, I would have loved to schedule an appointment with you.
Thanks
Dave
Old 11-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #6

Mike, My MH does not have a insta-hot faucet at the kitchen sink. There is a switch beside the Aqua-Hot diesel burner switch labeled "Water Heater 110V". Do you know if the Aqua-Hot automatically goes to electric mode when plugged into shore power and "Furnace" is selected on the thermostat?
Thanks
Dave
Old 11-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #7

The Aqua=Hot does not do anything automatically as far as turning it on. The Aqua-Hot 110V switch turns on just the 110v electric heater element in the unit. This 110v heater is mainly to supply you with hot water and a little heat if it doesn't get too cold if plugged in to shore power or the generator running. The Aqua-Hot will still work with just the diesel burner if either the 110v switch or the circuit breaker is turned off providing there are no other problems. So right now with this problem you can turn off that circuit breaker and just run it in diesel burner mode for heat and hot water. If you don't need the heat then you can turn on the diesel burner about five minutes before you need the hot water.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #8

Commercial Member

Dave

The electric heating system in your Aqua-Hot is pretty simple. The 110-volt power comes from the circuit breaker in your A/C panel to a relay that is usually somewhere near the A/C panel in your Monaco. The switch near diesel burner switch turns this relay off and on. The A/C power then travels directly to your Aqua-Hot goes through a control thermostat, then through a high limit thermostat, then directly to the electric element.

You can turn off the “Water Heater 110V” switch, then try to turn the circuit breaker back on. If the breaker trips immediately, then you should look at the 110-volt relay. If the breaker trips after you switch on the “Water Heater 110V” switch, then the problem is inside your Aqua-Hot.

I have written a troubleshooting guide for the electric system that is available on Yahoo group below in the “Files”-->
“Troubleshooting” --> “No Electric Heat” area. Use the guide titled “No electric heat model 941”. Requires membership in the group to access the “Files” area.

If you need someone to do work for you, then let me know where you are located and I will try to make recommendation.

Parts are readily available online. Search for “RV hydronic parts”.

The Aqua-Hot system is not “automatic”. To get heat for the furnace, you either need the “diesel”, “electric” or both switches on to put heat into the Aqua-Hot. When you select “furnace” with your thermostats, the Aqua-Hot will provide the heat.

One further point. The diesel burner is the primary heat source as it provides about 50,000 BTU of heat. The electric element will provide about 5,000 BTU of heat and was intended only to keep the coolant at operating temperature, provide enough hot water for a quick shower, or to wash some dishes. If you are trying to heat your coach with the electric element only, you will have very poor results. The diesel will bring your Aqua-Hot to operating temperature in about 20 minutes. The electric element will take several hours.

- Roger Berke -
Moderator -
HydronicRVHeating : Hydronic-RV-Heating
Old 11-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #9

Roger, I am located in Manassas VA, just outside Washington DC, If you know anyone out this way that works on Aqua Hot that would be great. I have talked to two rv dealers here about Aqua Hot and they look at me like I have three heads, they know nothing about it. I guess this option is just to high end for most of the locals.
I am trying to keep this motor home heated while parked at home so I can use it this winter for a couple trips. I thought the electric heat should be enough to keep things from freezing, do you think this is possible without having to run the diesel burner continuously all winter?
Thanks again,
Dave
Old 11-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Disconnect 110 volts (the tripped breaker) and pull the electrical cover off of the heater element cover under the main cover and see if the high limit is blown out. Simple fix if it is. It just unscrews off the side .
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #11

Commercial Member

Dave

There are no authorized service centers close by. The closest are listed below (information from Aqua-Hot authorized service locator), here: Aqua-Hot Heating Systems Inc. .

Ranger Trailer & Coach Sales
125 Theobold Ave
Greensburg, PA 15601
(724) 837-2753

Risco INC.
25 WEST HIGHLAND AVE
Atlantic Highlands, NJ 07716
(732) 872-7722

KASTCO RV
MOBILE SERVICE
CRANFORD, NJ 07016
(908) 875-6375

Tom Johnson Camping Center
www.tomjohnsoncamping.com
6700 Bruton Smith Blvd.
Concord, NC 28027
(704) 455-1440

You need to make absolutely sure that your Aqua-Hot does not freeze. If it does, the fresh water loop will burst. This requires a very expensive remanufacturing by Aqua-Hot. You can also fill all of the water lines in the coach with RV anti freeze, which will prevent damage.

If you keep the electric element turned on (and it is working), then your Aqua-Hot won’t freeze.

- Roger Berke -
Old 11-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #12

I just had mine replaced at annopolis rv as that is where the factory said they were a authrized repair facility. It took about 6 weeks to get one buolt an installed . You might want to give them a call thir ph #410-280-0800. I also live in Manassas Va.
bulldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #13

Commercial Member

Correction

Annapolis RV Center
http://WWW.ANNAPOLISRV.COM
117 FERGUSEN RD
Annapolis, MD 21409
(410) 280-0800

Is an Aqua-Hot authorized service center. They were not on the Aqua-Hot website the last time that I updated my listing.

- Roger Berke -
Old 11-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #14

Thanks for all the help. It is sure nice to have a site like this with people so willing to share their knowledge and experience. It has been about fifteen years since my last RV, and boy what a difference in technology. I'm sure I will have many more questions, so again I really appreciate the advice.