Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Aqua Hot electric side limits?

Our Aqua Hot works great on the diesel side but the electric side seems to only work above about 50 degrees. Below that blows cold air and no hot water. I was told that this was not unusual for the electric side of the unit. Just had it serviced by factory tech and everything supposedly is working as it should although have never experienced unlimited hot water on the diesel side. Just wondering....
Peterson143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Different models have different elements. I have a 600D which has two 1500 watt elements. With both on it draws 30 amps, 15 from L1 and 15 from L2. For just normal water use I run one, but If I need real heat I turn both on (if on 50 amp service) and the burner. The electric element(s) are not designed to provide all the heat necessary.
My rig is stored beside the house. I turned on one element and set the thermostat at 45° on all three zones. This heats the wet bay. Last night it was 35° but my wet bay is 50°.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Different models have different elements. I have a 600D which has two 1500 watt elements. With both on it draws 30 amps, 15 from L1 and 15 from L2. For just normal water use I run one, but If I need real heat I turn both on (if on 50 amp service) and the burner. The electric element(s) are not designed to provide all the heat necessary.
My rig is stored beside the house. I turned on one element and set the thermostat at 45° on all three zones. This heats the wet bay. Last night it was 35° but my wet bay is 50°.
Understood however my unit, do not know the model number at this point, has no provison for an L1 and L2 element selection. Two switches, diesel and electric. Last night it got down to 22 degrees outside and coach was showing 55 degrees inside and wet bay was about 50. I understand it is what it is just wanted to make sure this was normal operation. People keep referencing "mixing valves". I have nothing like this on my manifold. Just a direct line to each feature (shower, kitchen sink, first bathroom, second bathroom, etc.) and they are either on or off. Not even sure if it has a winter and summer valve. Although in the summer the water is super hot and even the cold side is warm which makes me believe that there is a winter/summer or mixing valve somewhere. Limited reference material has been no help at this point.
Peterson143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson143 View Post
Our Aqua Hot works great on the diesel side but the electric side seems to only work above about 50 degrees. Below that blows cold air and no hot water. I was told that this was not unusual for the electric side of the unit. Just had it serviced by factory tech and everything supposedly is working as it should although have never experienced unlimited hot water on the diesel side. Just wondering....

The electric element works fine for keeping the coolant tank up to temp when there is no demand but isn’t designed for sustained demand. Prolonged hot water demand or coach heat will cool the tank down fast. If you don’t have unlimited hot water with the diesel burner on, then you have an issue of some sort. I’m guessing that the tech just ensured that the burner was firing and the electric element was ok but if he had checked hot water output, he would have seen there was a problem.

The AquaHot is designed to product about one gal a minute at 50 degrees above the input water temp.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Understood however my unit, do not know the model number at this point, has no provison for an L1 and L2 element selection. Two switches, diesel and electric. Last night it got down to 22 degrees outside and coach was showing 55 degrees inside and wet bay was about 50. I understand it is what it is just wanted to make sure this was normal operation. People keep referencing "mixing valves". I have nothing like this on my manifold. Just a direct line to each feature (shower, kitchen sink, first bathroom, second bathroom, etc.) and they are either on or off. Not even sure if it has a winter and summer valve. Although in the summer the water is super hot and even the cold side is warm which makes me believe that there is a winter/summer or mixing valve somewhere. Limited reference material has been no help at this point.

Your temps and operation seem normal to me and my experience with my AH-100-4s, which is single element elec. your mixing valve should be located at the AH, not the water manifold. Following your inbound cold and outbound hot, they come together on the outbound side controlled via a grey valve. If memory serves, the adjustment ranges from approximately 140 - 160 degrees. This is a non-scalding feature, but can be turned up.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Experience we have had is that when we are trying to Heat COLD water it needs the Diesel not so much when the water is warmer - above say 40 degrees or out of the Tank.

Might need to turn up the Mixer to be a little Hotter on both the Heater and the Shower.

We would always just turn on the Diesel when we showered - then just a few hours in the Evening to get everything warm.

Worked great.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think you did pretty well with 55* inside, on electric alone.

I've never had to adjust my mixing valve, but believe it's on the backside of the unit. You need to get the model number off the sticker on the cover. AH has all the manuals on line, for all of their discontinued models.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Your temps and operation seem normal to me and my experience with my AH-100-4s, which is single element elec. your mixing valve should be located at the AH, not the water manifold. Following your inbound cold and outbound hot, they come together on the outbound side controlled via a grey valve. If memory serves, the adjustment ranges from approximately 140 - 160 degrees. This is a non-scalding feature, but can be turned up.
True, The mix/anti-scald valve is under the pump/blower motor on the A/H and may need to be twisted hot to cold back and forth several times(with water running thru it) to clear the valve..(there "should be" a line painted on the mix valve for the factory setting of the temp mix) but in my case I have no need for hot water @ the outside faucet anyways.so just shut that one hot water line off.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:

With your vintage AquaHot, you should be leaving both the electric and diesel switch turned on 24/7. With both turned on and your furnace thermostat set to a comfortable temp. Your AquaHot should be keeping your coach toasty and reasonably hot water. If your input cold water is about 50 degrees then your hot water will be no hotter than 100.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #10

Peterson 143 - your post lacks a lot of detail. For example what the outside temp is, what does "cold air and no hot water" mean? To be clear - if there is no difference between hot and cold water, and the air is truly cold, then you probably have a problem with the electric temp sensors in the unit.

Since you can't specify the model we are limited in terms of the help we can offer, but there is a sensor for both diesel and electric heaters to tell them to turn on. My electric sensor was bad and I had no electric heat. Now I only have a single 15 amp electric heater, but I could tell it was not working at all. No difference between hot and cold water.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Post #3 he says 22 deg outside temp, and I thought he was doing good getting the interior to 55* on 'electric only', but after re-reading post #1, I'm wondering if he had both electric, and burner running .
Old 12-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #12

Wow! Everyone's experience is different. Our '06 Dynasty has the AHE-100-04S. First, we very rarely dry camp. Also, we don't very often run the diesel. We probably should run it a lot more, just to keep it exercised. Unless it gets below the high 30's (dry climate) or mid to upper 40's (humid climate), we run a space heater in the front of the coach along with the front heat pump. If temps are expected to go much below 50, we leave the space heater on LOW (750 watts) for overnight. If it's supposed to go colder, we leave it on HI for overnight. We run zone 2 on the rear thermostat (bathroom) on the AquaHot (electric only), and we almost never use zone 1 on the rear thermostat (bedroom). On nights when it is cold enough that we need to run the bedroom zone or the living area zone, we do turn on the diesel. When it comes to hot water, I honestly don't think we ever had to fire the diesel to salvage a second shower, one after the other.

Unless you have the luxury of the second heating element in your AquaHot, just think of our AquaHot as a 1400 watt heating unit. That's what it is. That's 1400 watts, total, for water heating and space heating. That will heat water fine, not quickly, but fine. The reservoir is large enough to supply a lot more hot water over a 10 or 15 minute interval than the 1400 watts could do, alone, because it is a great thermal reservoir. And 1400 watts is way more than the bathroom area can use to stay warm under the coldest of conditions.

We've wintered in Arizona for the last 13 winters, and I am serious when I say we normally don't have to use our diesel burner hardly at all. Since the coach was new, we have averaged 150 hours of burner operation per year. Most of those hours were required whenever we were camped with only 30 amp service available, and some when the outside temperatures were going into the 30's and below and the heat pump(s) couldn't handle it.

One thing to note, although a little off the subject - Our heat pumps do pretty well at least down into the 40's. In dry air, they will still deliver quite a bit of heat into the low 40's, and maybe even into the upper 30's, and won't need to go thru defrost cycles very often. If it's humid outside, we can easily add ten degrees to those numbers. At 45 degrees in humid air, we may find our units spending quite a bit of time in the defrost mode. When that happens, the energy efficiency goes way down, and the hours that the compressor is required to run go way up. Then, it's time to consider help from a space heater, or turning on the diesel and letting the AquaHot pay its way.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Just to offer a different perspective to Jim's:
We leave the diesel and electric switches on all the time and let the AH sort out what it needs to do to meet the demand we put on it for hot water and heat. If 50 amp electricity is included in our rent, then we run two space heaters when the temps drop below 50 degrees. The diesel side rarely comes on until the temps drop into the 30's. Below that it comes on a few times an hour all night.

We haven't used heat pumps in years to reduce wear and tear on the AC units.

We also winter in AZ, but we are on metered electricity. We run the AH exclusively because the cost of electricity to use our space heaters is roughly 2x the cost for the same heat using diesel.

Cheers,
Old 12-15-2018, 12:21 AM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Our Aqua Hot works great on the diesel side but the electric side seems to only work above about 50 degrees.

Just had it serviced by factory tech and everything supposedly is working as it should although have never experienced unlimited hot water on the diesel side. Just wondering....
Hmmmmm...
I suspect you have a EXE-100-01 or the EXE100-02s model.
With those your electrical side keeps the boiler fluid to temp until you start using heat/hot water... when the coolant temp drops below the upper limit switch of the diesel burner , the diesel burner takes over to maintain coolant temps.

This is why you have both the diesel and the electric switches on...

You may need to replace all 4 snap temp switches (they are $71 ea more or less and easy to change out).. next would be to clear the mix valve while you are there....
These thermo-switches are behind a panel held by 2 small screws above and to the left of the burner pot.
The 2 on the left (blue dot/black dot) are for the diesel side & the 2 on the right (white dot/red dot) are for the electric side of the heating system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171213_145932.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	229043  
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric