Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Aqua hot - how much hot h2o?

I'm dry camping this week for work in Philly and this morning I kicked on the diesel burner for heat and a hot shower.

I had hot water for the first 5 minutes in the shower but it began to fade (so I hurried) and it was gone after another 3 or so.

A couple minutes later I ran the faucet and it was hot again.

Does furnace heat take away from hot water production?

I had all 4 heat zones on:

Exchanger/vents are:
- 2 in living room

- 3 in kitchen (two not blowing any air)

- 4 in bath (two not blowing any air)

- 1 in bedroom

- 1 in toilet room

Is this normal operation?

jonohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #2

Jonathon, AquaHot is good but I am not sure it would handle four heat zones and a shower from a cold start. I would let it cycle one time and then see how it does. I think you have two thermostat controllers, one in the bedroom and one in the hallway just by the kitchen possibly. You know the one in the bedroom controls zone 1 and zone 2 usually and the one in the hallway controls from the kitchen forward to the front of coach. You may have a different setup but in any case, you need to find the led control box usually in one of the bays passenger side and see what is lit up and what is not. You should also have a switch in the bathroom that starts the fans in that area. Do you also have heat pumps in the ceiling, probably three that also serve as air conditioners. Let us know what you find.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #3

There are a lot of variables involved here, but I think it is likely that the system is overloaded. We experienced that in our Dutch Star a few times last winter and it would recover in a few minutes. Often, we were using the campground water hook up and that hose gets pretty cold. It might help to use from the tank for for showers, as that water might be a little warmer.

Also make sure you have the electric part of the water heater turned on. I have checked my a Aqua-Hot unit out and it is a good strong unit, but guess it will only do so much. Mine is a 50,000 btu unit.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Jonathon, AquaHot is good but I am not sure it would handle four heat zones and a shower from a cold start. I would let it cycle one time and then see how it does. I think you have two thermostat controllers, one in the bedroom and one in the hallway just by the kitchen possibly. You know the one in the bedroom controls zone 1 and zone 2 usually and the one in the hallway controls from the kitchen forward to the front of coach. You may have a different setup but in any case, you need to find the led control box usually in one of the bays passenger side and see what is lit up and what is not. You should also have a switch in the bathroom that starts the fans in that area. Do you also have heat pumps in the ceiling, probably three that also serve as air conditioners. Let us know what you find.

So here's what I have:

2 thermostats
- one in living room (single zone)
- second in rear bedroom (two zones)
- Bay rheostat

3 ac units with heat pumps (heat pump option in each zone)

The furnace option works like the following:
- front zone one turns on captains chair front areas and couch
- rear zone one turns on kitchen and shower areas
- rear zone two turns on bedroom areas
- Bathroom has its own switch (which functions)

I'll turn things on and check out the LEDs on the aqua hot when I have a chance.

On the electric element note, I typically only turn on the diesel burner switch for hot water (if the genny isn't running or hooked up to shore power). Should I use the electric element and the diesel burner for maximum output?

- Jonathon
Old 05-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jonohio,
I owned a 2001 Dynasty with Aqua hot and it would occasionally do the same thing. My 08 Signature seems to do much better. Like everything else, Aqua hot has made many improvements in the past decade. I imagine a later, reconditioned unit would take care of this for you if it is a problem. BTW, do you know when your unit was tuned up last with a new nozzle and cleaning? It may not be putting out the heat it is capable of.

Best of luck!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with a previous poster that there are TOO many variables to determines which ones are playing a roll in your situation.

Model of you specific Aqua Hot unit
Size of your coolant tank
Temperature of incoming water
Condition of Webasto burner
Position of mixing valve
Condition of mixing valve
Condition of Diesel and Electric Thermostats

Etc. etc. etc.

Another thing that puzzles me is the number of folks that turn their diesel on and off. OR turn their electric assist on and off.

These unit are designed to work with the electric assist and diesel ON at the same time.

I have BOTH of my switches on 24/7/365.

The electric assist will always maintain temperature until the demand is greater than its capability, then the diesel kicks in.

If people want to learn a thing or two about their Aqua Hot units, I suggest you join the Hydronic Heating Forum run by Roger Berke. Pay your dues to get on the Premium Forum or stay with the free one.

Forum Rv Hydronic Heater Repair - Welcome

To each their own. It's your RV and your Aqua Hot. Do as you please.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #7

If not connected to shore power, then I wouldn't turn on the electric element of the aquahot.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
And why not ???

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohio View Post
So here's what I have:

2 thermostats
- one in living room (single zone)
- second in rear bedroom (two zones)
- Bay rheostat

3 ac units with heat pumps (heat pump option in each zone)

The furnace option works like the following:
- front zone one turns on captains chair front areas and couch
- rear zone one turns on kitchen and shower areas
- rear zone two turns on bedroom areas
- Bathroom has its own switch (which functions)

I'll turn things on and check out the LEDs on the aqua hot when I have a chance.

On the electric element note, I typically only turn on the diesel burner switch for hot water (if the genny isn't running or hooked up to shore power). Should I use the electric element and the diesel burner for maximum output?

- Jonathon
Jonathon,
Double check the bedroom thermostat. Zone 1 in my previous Dynasty was the bedroom and Zone 2 on the same thermostat was the bath/hallway and center a/c heat pump. Look for the display in your passenger side bay about 3 bays back, maybe 4. My bays on the passenger side started with the fuel tank door, next was the outdoor entertainment center door, then the large slide bay, then a smaller storage bay, then the water filter/aqua-hot bay and finally the water tank, gray water tank and black water tank bay. I think I remember the controller led panel on the ceiling just behind the large slide out bay (bay door #4). It's there somewhere if you have a similar setup. Try turning on your diesel aqua-hot switch, your zone 1, 2 on the bedroom t-stat and zone 1 on the kitchen t-stat. Place all modes in heat/furnace and set the temp to 85 or 90 and see if you have heat coming from all registers. Be sure to turn on the bathroom switch for the toilet room. Do this after the diesel burner has been on for about 10 minutes and see what you get out of the registers. And, Yes you can turn both electric and diesel on at the same time to hasten the heat cycle. (Remember too that heat generated from your diesel engine is being used to heat the aqua hot coolant when traveling, so you should have very hot water after being on the road for a few hours.) Then check your hot water in all areas. If you are missing heat from anywhere, you may have a valve stuck or a pump not running. Look for the led panel and see what is lit up. When all else fails go to roger burke website, join the site and ask the same questions. Roger knows his business and will shortly get back to you for further testing. RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home
Old 05-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #10

If the unit is operating properly, I will supply unlimited Hot Water
Old 05-20-2014, 04:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
And why not ???

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Because with no shore power - generator usage is mainly for battery recharging and other large appliance usage. Makes little sense in this scenario to use the generator to heat water. Better to use the diesel burner on the aquahot for that purpose which the OP already said he was using.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't intend to start a mini war here. Things are working decently and the coach has heat. I just wanted to ensure that things were working properly and if they weren't I could look into it.

I also wanted to confirm my operation and understanding of the system. Which seems to be of differing opinions so far.

Thank you everyone I'll look into the details (control board, LEDs, etc) this week and let you know exactly what I find.

I have already joined the hydronic board but wanted to start here with my questions.

- Jonathon
Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
And again, I guess some peoples perspective on how to use their generator differes from others.

I have a self-contained RV that can support life for as many weeks that the supply and colletion tank capacitites will hold up.

There are supprt functions which allow me to live off the grid if necsesarry for weeks at a time.

If you don't use the generator one day when you do really need it, it will cough back at you, sputter a little and quit.

Oh, BTW, on my last trip to Alaska from Florida, my Aqua-Hot control box quit in South Dakota plus the burner needed its annual service. The nearest Aqua-Hot service center on my way was Calgary. They had a one month backlog so I waited unti I reached Anchorage to have it worked on. I had to depend on both the engine and my generator to supply limited hot water. Thank God both were working great otherwise I would have been down the river with no paddle to get back.

To each their own, your RV, your Aqua-Hot.

JMTCW.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #14

I se no reason at this time of year to run the genie to heat water and supply heat while driving.. The engine will supply heat to the aqua hot as well as to the chassis heater. If not the diesel burner will supply whatever heat is needed by the aqua hot.

moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote