RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #15

its working to my surprise

So I go out to the mh to check some specific things. when my mechanic was here and the mh hadn't run and far as I knew every thing was off except the electric heater in tank.
so my mechanic comments that he feels heat in the circulation hoses cause he was crawling around the rear axel where the air dryer filter is and was seeking to change that.
Now today every thing is the same but no heat circulating in engine but I can cause the pump to come on with the front aqua hot sw. So that is just right, I must be fighting some kind of intermittent problem.

When I first went out there I tried each thermostat separately and did not have engine ph., next the ignition sw , no ph., then I tried the aqua hot sw in galley -- no ph only when I turned on the sw in drivers area did I get circulation.

So now I don't know why it circulated that day. Both days no heat in engine because of being operated. Curious for sure.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
On my 01 dynasty the motor heats the water when the motor is running. There is ALSO a preheat switch that activates a 120v outlet on the road side rear engine compartment. A block heater 120v three prong plug is plugged into that switched outlet.

Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:07 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Block heater

Jeff,
Correct me if Iím wrong, but doesnít the block heater work thru the inverter? I also have a 2001 dynasty. I was under the assumption that the block heater would work if your plugged into shore power as well as the inverter if you donít have shore power. I havenít noticed a 120v cord to plug in.??
Old 01-10-2019, 02:31 AM   #18

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
Jeff,
Correct me if Iím wrong, but doesnít the block heater work thru the inverter? I also have a 2001 dynasty. I was under the assumption that the block heater would work if your plugged into shore power as well as the inverter if you donít have shore power. I havenít noticed a 120v cord to plug in.??
Any true 120 ac block heater is pluged into a receptacle someplace close to the engine.
Up high .

I have never seen one wired into the inverter fuse box. But it could be ? Maybe

There could be some ? Direct wired to the 120 fuse box also. Where they cut the plug off the block heater cord and wired direct.

But you should always have a switch by the drivers seat to activate the 120 ac block heater.

You should always have a fuse marked
Block heater in the 120 ac fuse box.

This is separate from the aqua hot circulation coolant heating system.
That has a switch for a DC pump.

Some pull the plug from the block heater receptacle to keep it from getting turned on accidentally.
I personally flip the fuse off in the box during the summer.
John Haggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #19

John is saying "fuse", but he has to mean "circuit breaker". Please don't be confused by that. And no, Jeff, the engine "Block Heat" will NOT be on your inverter. It would pull your coach batteries down in an hour or two, if not in minutes, depending on the condition of your batteries.

Finally, I would not take anything I say as "gospel", or anyone else, either, unless my or our experience is with the same year, make and model of coach as yours. If anything has amazed me over the years, it is how differently any two seemingly very similar coaches will have significantly different systems in them. Take what we say as possibly good information, but realize that your coach may be designed or built differently than ours. That's why it is so important to share your outcomes, and why it is so important to post the year, make and model of your coach in your threads.

1) On our coach, an '06 Dynasty, the engine loop provides for the warming of the AquaHot reservoir by heat from the engine, and it does NOT require the AH block heat pump to be turned on.

2) There is a switch on the dash (1 of two for warming the engine) that circulates hot water from the AH to the engine like Jeff753 said, above. If you turn that on several hours in advance, it will warm the engine to make it easier to start in cold weather.

3) There is an electric heating element in the block for warming the engine, as well. It is enabled by the other switch on the dash, also labeled as being for "Block Heat", or "Engine Heat". It has a short cord with a plug on the end like John said, and there is a duplex outlet up high, on the driver's side of the engine for it to be plugged into. He turns off the breaker, I choose to leave it unplugged. Frankly I've never had to use it in 13 years of enjoying our coach, but I rarely find myself having to start our engine in below freezing temperatures. That outlet is powered from the shore-power 120 volt circuit breaker panel. It is NOT powered from the 120 volt inverter circuit breaker panel. (We have two, 120 volt breaker panels, side by side. One is fed from the inverter, and has eight full-sized breaker positions, and the other is fed from the incoming shore power/generator transfer switch, and also has eight full-sized breaker positions that actually include several twin breakers and the incoming two-pole main breaker for the coach.)

I hope this helps, some. At least this is how it was designed by Monaco for the '06 Dynasty series of coaches.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Ken I agree with K7. I doubt the block heater is on the inverter since heaters pull a large amp. On mine the engine heats the water regardless of block heater switch. I believe the block heater requires ac from either shore power or generator? Iíll check on mine to confirm my suspicions the block heater element (separate from aquahot heating loop pump) provides 120v on generator and shore power it not on my 2000 watt msw inverter.
Since I live in Florida I donít use it. I have considered plugging some lights into that outlet since there is a switch for it. Iíll send a picture of my outlet but open your engine door and look on the left wall left of the air filter. You should see the outlet
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #21

Good point, Jeff. I've used that plug for a battery charger, a time or two, when the charge line to our towed car failed us. it's nice to have 110V available back there, from time to time.

Note: when Monaco delivered the coach new, the block heater plug was not plugged in.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Block heater power

Thanks for all the good information. I will have to look for the plug in the engine bay.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
You shouldn't need to turn on the AH 'engine pre-heat' switch for your engine to heat your boiler tank. Just turn on a hot water faucet, you'll have hot water. Turn on your thermostat to furnace, you will have coach heat.
From a cold AH, this will likely take 20 or so miles of driving though !
Right you are X 2.
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
On my 03 Windsor I have a switch panel in the kitchen for my aqua hot .
The panel has 3 switches , they are labeled

1 Diesel

2 Elect

3 Engine Heat ( turns on a pump inside the aqua hot )

I have a sw up by my drivers seat that controls an elect heater in the engine block .

Ray

On my 2005 Monaco Executive 45 CAQ the Engine Heat switch is om the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_191523.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	232018   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_191615.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	232019  

MI FLA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
John is saying "fuse", but he has to mean "circuit breaker". Please don't be confused by that. And no, Jeff, the engine "Block Heat" will NOT be on your inverter. It would pull your coach batteries down in an hour or two, if not in minutes, depending on the condition of your batteries.

Finally, I would not take anything I say as "gospel", or anyone else, either, unless my or our experience is with the same year, make and model of coach as yours. If anything has amazed me over the years, it is how differently any two seemingly very similar coaches will have significantly different systems in them. Take what we say as possibly good information, but realize that your coach may be designed or built differently than ours. That's why it is so important to share your outcomes, and why it is so important to post the year, make and model of your coach in your threads.

1) On our coach, an '06 Dynasty, the engine loop provides for the warming of the AquaHot reservoir by heat from the engine, and it does NOT require the AH block heat pump to be turned on.

2) There is a switch on the dash (1 of two for warming the engine) that circulates hot water from the AH to the engine like Jeff753 said, above. If you turn that on several hours in advance, it will warm the engine to make it easier to start in cold weather.

3) There is an electric heating element in the block for warming the engine, as well. It is enabled by the other switch on the dash, also labeled as being for "Block Heat", or "Engine Heat". It has a short cord with a plug on the end like John said, and there is a duplex outlet up high, on the driver's side of the engine for it to be plugged into. He turns off the breaker, I choose to leave it unplugged. Frankly I've never had to use it in 13 years of enjoying our coach, but I rarely find myself having to start our engine in below freezing temperatures. That outlet is powered from the shore-power 120 volt circuit breaker panel. It is NOT powered from the 120 volt inverter circuit breaker panel. (We have two, 120 volt breaker panels, side by side. One is fed from the inverter, and has eight full-sized breaker positions, and the other is fed from the incoming shore power/generator transfer switch, and also has eight full-sized breaker positions that actually include several twin breakers and the incoming two-pole main breaker for the coach.)

I hope this helps, some. At least this is how it was designed by Monaco for the '06 Dynasty series of coaches.
That helps me understand the system better. Thanks Jim.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Block heater

Great news! I found the block heater cord hanging on the drivers side high on the engine bay wall just under the bed with a 120 plug right there too. I knew you guys would set me straight! Thanks again