Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

Aqua Hot major problems

I have three days ago a total failure of my Aqua Hot system. Unfortunately we are our way to the Keys , and am sitting in Knoxvillle ready to return to the frozen trunda of the UP. I was quoted 20,000 for a new system , quite a shock ! I know my Monaco Sig is old ( 96 ) but was not ready for a expense like this. Anyone else had similar problem , and how did you resolve it. I know we could keep going, but at this point I do not want to continue ( I believe problems come in threes) , so not sure what my next move should be ? Om Sig. Total cost on a eBay buy last year was 35,000. .....but, I guess it's not worth much the way it is, any thoughts out there ? ( kinda a downer spending NEw Years eve in BG parking lot! )
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Our system quit also. We called and aquahot tech....not a guy with a wrench.
He replaced the fuel pump, bearings, and also the controller. Total bill was
$2010.46 and this included labor. The controller was $831.00 by itself.
To top this off, we had the system "so-called serviced" just three months ago
and were not told about the lake of diesel in the unit.

Make sure you find a qualified tech to look at it. Google aquahot service in
your area.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
contact this forum for some valuable Aquahot advice

http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forum
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #4

AquaHot

Hi,
With the number of snowbirds in Florida with an AquaHot there should be qualified service available. The last price I heard for a brand new unit was approx 7-8k. The 20K price is high, way high. Phone Aqua Hot directly and find out what qualified service guys are in your area.
The one I use is Lloyd DeGerald from Paron Arkansas. Problem is he normally comes west in the winter months so he may be in California or Arizona now.
His number is 501-258-8426 give him a call and he may have a contact for service in Florida. Also Lloyd may have some insight into your problem, tell him what is going on with your unit.

Good luck
Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I have three days ago a total failure of my Aqua Hot system. Unfortunately we are our way to the Keys , and am sitting in Knoxvillle ready to return to the frozen trunda of the UP. I was quoted 20,000 for a new system , quite a shock ! I know my Monaco Sig is old ( 96 ) but was not ready for a expense like this. Anyone else had similar problem , and how did you resolve it. I know we could keep going, but at this point I do not want to continue ( I believe problems come in threes) , so not sure what my next move should be ? Om Sig. Total cost on a eBay buy last year was 35,000. .....but, I guess it's not worth much the way it is, any thoughts out there ? ( kinda a downer spending NEw Years eve in BG parking lot! )
Who diagnosed this at a total failure? What are the issues? $20k for a new system is about double the prices I've heard. Most issues with the AquaHot can be repaired. Parts aren't cheap but certainly not at this level. Unless you have water mixing with the coolant and pushing coolant out the overflow bottle then your unit should be repairable.

Call Alliance Coach in Wildwood, FL or master Tech in Naples, FL for an appointment. They are both good AquaHot repair people. Also post this over on Roger Burke's forum.

http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/activity.php?

Let us know how it works out.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #6

Red face

Quote:
Dont throw it out. Call Paul Lacy in Florida at: 813 770 7590.
He recently worked on mine in a 2001 Dynasty. Good job reasonable price.
Bay237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #7

I had my 2002 Aqua Hot replaced a year ago with a factory reconditioned unit . Just a touch over $6 thousand dollars complete. There was a core return of my old unit to the factory included. My issue was an internal coil leak that only complete disassembly at the factory could repair.
run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2 View Post
I had my 2002 Aqua Hot replaced a year ago with a factory reconditioned unit . Just a touch over $6 thousand dollars complete. There was a core return of my old unit to the factory included. My issue was an internal coil leak that only complete disassembly at the factory could repair.
That seems to be my problem. The leaks are everywhere, can't fill water tanks because of it. All the leakers seem to be under the Aqua hot unit., so I have no water at all as the mechanic pluged the openings. I was told the unit had to be removed in any case. , and with " brittle " copper tubing it would be best to replace entire unit. At 110.00 an hour labor was estimated 3 full days......I think I need a second opioin Etherway , so , I am returning to Michigan tomorrow and wait for spring to do Somthing, maybe. I was less than half way to the Keys anyway. I do hate to loose my paid for pad at Bluewater Key, but I guess that's life ( about 3,000), . I really liked the Aqua hot...when it was working
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #9

I would go on to Key West and make the best of it. You can buy a electric heater for heat and stop some where and have them bypass the Aqua Hot water so you can have water. If you are going to a camp ground they have showers, not as good as your own but will do. Dont loose your 3 grand just for this problem. You can have the unit replaced for 8000 or less. Dont let them rip you. Get it fixed when you get home. Im in Ohio and it is snowing like crazy here. Stay as long as you can.
Have a great trip.
JHowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by run2 View Post

Where did you have this done???
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I had my Aqua-Hot completely replaced in 2005/06. They removed it and bypassed the water system so i could at least have cold water. I was going to buy a small electric hot water heater but ended up just using the showers at the RV Park for the time it took to get a rebuilt sent to CA.

The cost of the rebuilt at that time was about $5000 and the labor was $110 per hour. I am not sure how many hours they charged but I'm sure it was almost 16 hours, two days labor.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
That seems to be my problem. The leaks are everywhere, can't fill water tanks because of it. All the leakers seem to be under the Aqua hot unit., so I have no water at all as the mechanic pluged the openings. I was told the unit had to be removed in any case. , and with " brittle " copper tubing it would be best to replace entire unit. At 110.00 an hour labor was estimated 3 full days......I think I need a second opioin Etherway , so , I am returning to Michigan tomorrow and wait for spring to do Somthing, maybe. I was less than half way to the Keys anyway. I do hate to loose my paid for pad at Bluewater Key, but I guess that's life ( about 3,000), . I really liked the Aqua hot...when it was working
Hate to see you give up your trip. Be aware that if you have any leak anywhere around the wet bay, it will usually drain from openings under or around the AH unit. I had a leak from my fresh water pump and it was running out directly under the AH unit scared my to death until I located the source. If the fresh water input to the AH is turned off then you can use shore water or the on board tank with no problem. I know it means the bath house for showers and any hot water. There is much AH expertise in Florida. By the way, any AH problem would have no impact on filling your water tank. I'm suspicious you are being scammed. Before we went full time, I lived about 3 miles northwest of Buddy Gregg's location. I don't have a very high opinion of them.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #13

there are quite a few service centers listed in FL

Service Locations
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Keep driving south! You don't need AquaHot in FL. I've never used a furnace there in the winter. Buy a couple of $20. space heaters to take the chill off, and get someone in FL to check it out. By any chance was that Buddy Gregg in Knoxville?