Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Aqua Hot on Electric

We normally camp throughout the winter locally on and off. In the past I have only winterized the 5th wheel if the temps were going to be in the teens for a few days and we were home. My question is, in the coach if I leave the Aquahot on electric and set the thermostat to say 55 will it keep the coach safely warm or do I need to run it on diesel ? I will have it plugged into a 50 amp pedestal.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 06:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
We normally camp throughout the winter locally on and off. In the past I have only winterized the 5th wheel if the temps were going to be in the teens for a few days and we were home. My question is, in the coach if I leave the Aquahot on electric and set the thermostat to say 55 will it keep the coach safely warm or do I need to run it on diesel ? I will have it plugged into a 50 amp pedestal.
I'd give it a test with a few good Thermometers to Just be sure - we have used our Electric in the Hydro Hot 200 series with good results - keeping it warm - 65 - with the outside temps above freezing - so I'd think you would be good to say around 20 and the coach would hover in the 40's?

I would think it would be prudent to just turn on the Diesel if the temps got into the teens. If it Doubt just Blow it Out to be safe and leave the electric on. that will work.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #3

Which AH do you have? If you have the 220 version it might work. I would not take a chance on temps below mid 20's. If the AH freezes you would be out over $6000. We have 2 120 elements and when the temp is below freezing I turn on the diesel.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

If you have a single element AquaHot, it will be roughly equivalent to a 1400 watt space heater, in terms of how much heat energy it will deliver to your total coach. If you are in the teens, I would not expect it to keep your whole coach safely above freezing if the temps go that low and stay below 32 degrees. If you only run zone 2, and if you have the little basement thermostat turned on and your zone 2 on the rear thermostat in the "FURNACE" mode, you may be ok on just the electric.

You could set your front thermostat to as low as it will go, "FURNACE" mode, and the same with your bath thermostat, and you might be ok with it on just the electric. The return air for the heat exchangers under the kitchen sink and under the bathroom sink are in the air space that contains most of the plumbing to your points of use. NOT ALL, but most. The majority of your plumbing is in the bay where the basement heat exchanger is located so it should be ok.

Be sure the heat tape is working on your ice maker plumbing on the back of your refrigerator. I would absolutely trust it to do the job if you turned on the diesel, though. Shower, and washer/dryer plumbing may be a bit more vulnerable, as they are probably located in areas that don't really get a lot of heat benefit from air flow inside the coach and are more vulnerable to outside wall temperatures.

If you are getting warm during the day and only that cold at night, that will help. It's a worry!!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
In theory the diesel should not come on until the electric cannot keep up. If the 120V power goes out you'd want the diesel on, especially if you are not close to the rig.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I thought the same and mine works that way. 2 thermostats. Electric comes on about 2deg different than the diesel. That was changed and now there is only a single thermostat controlling both the diesel and electric elements they come on and off together.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I thought the same and mine works that way. 2 thermostats. Electric comes on about 2deg different than the diesel. That was changed and now there is only a single thermostat controlling both the diesel and electric elements they come on and off together.
Yeah, don't know what year / model they made that un-improvement!

My 450-DE1 works this way. The way I see it, your just wasting some electricity if you have both turned on together !!

The OP's Beaver is an 04', so he may have one of the good ones with seperate thermostats.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like some testing is in order before the big freezes hit but I will plan on turning the diesel on when below freezing. I really didn't think about a power outage but certainly should have.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #9

Our '06 Dynasty has the AHE-100 series AquaHot, and there is only one thermostat. When the unit calls for heat, the electric element and the diesel burner both come on at the same time and then shut down, together. The same is true for the AHE-120 and AHE-130 series. So it depends on your unit whether the diesel fires at that same time that the electric input is called for.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Aqua Hot on Electric

Well not all AHE 100 units
AHE100-2 has 2 thermostats unit was built in late 2002 ... electric and a burner thermostat .. I helped the repair guy rebuild it 2 years ago Wonder when they changed. The guy had to pay attention to which one was which as they looked the same .. except for the temp rating.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #11

Interesting, especially since all four of those descriptors begin with AHE-100. I don't know. I am looking at the shop manual for model numbers AHE-100-04S, AHE-120-04X and AHE-130-04X. The last page says Copyright 2004. So I wonder if the "1" in the "100" denotes one thermostat.

Also, I wonder if your Beaver was built after they came under the Monaco umbrella, or before then when they were still at their Bend facility. Maybe the change happened when Monaco took them over.

I REALLY WISH ours worked like yours. I don't like using the diesel when we are in a campground environment as no matter how clean they can be made to burn, they still smell, and they still have the whine of the fuel pump and burner air fan. It would be great to leave both heat sources turned on and have the diesel only fire on the few occasions when the 120 volt element can't cover it, alone.

Just as soon as I think I have an answer for a question, I find that the next coach is totally different. They can even be different within the same make and model series. My heart goes out to folks that can make a living servicing these things with all the variations that are out there.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #12

Put a few ceramic heaters in the coach , a 250 watt one in the left side water bay and leave on the electric element. Just make sure the power doesnt go out. I lived in mine down to 6 degrees that way.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Interesting, especially since all four of those descriptors begin with AHE-100. I don't know. I am looking at the shop manual for model numbers AHE-100-04S, AHE-120-04X and AHE-130-04X. The last page says Copyright 2004. So I wonder if the "1" in the "100" denotes one thermostat.

Also, I wonder if your Beaver was built after they came under the Monaco umbrella, or before then when they were still at their Bend facility. Maybe the change happened when Monaco took them over.

I REALLY WISH ours worked like yours. I don't like using the diesel when we are in a campground environment as no matter how clean they can be made to burn, they still smell, and they still have the whine of the fuel pump and burner air fan. It would be great to leave both heat sources turned on and have the diesel only fire on the few occasions when the 120 volt element can't cover it, alone.

Just as soon as I think I have an answer for a question, I find that the next coach is totally different. They can even be different within the same make and model series. My heart goes out to folks that can make a living servicing these things with all the variations that are out there.
My older coach can run both diesel and electric at the same time. That's how I use it when it gets colder...not very often in Mesa, AZ

Tags
aqua hot, electric