Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #1

Aqua Hot question

I read conflicting feedback regarding hot water for showers off the electric elements. I have the 600D model with two 110V elements but can only get 2-3 minutes of real hot shower. After that its just warm water.

I read some who say that they have no problem taking long showers just by using the electric elements?

Is this true, or do you have to preheat and have the diesel on as well?
Presidio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 04:42 AM   #2

We have a 600D with dual elements. We get long showers and are able to heat the coach if the temps aren't too low, say in the 40's without the diesel. It sounds like maybe only one of your elements is working. Can you see the load increase as you turn on the first element and then increase for the 2nd element? You don't say what coach you have, but we monitor the load on the Aladdin. If we want heat and hot shower we turn on the diesel just to make sure and I think it is a very good idea to regularly run the diesel side.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
To add to what Bill B has posted in regards to the two electric heating elements, there are other variables which can affect the performance of the Aqua-Hot.

Temperature of the incoming water; colder water will take longer to heat up versus warmer water.

My older model AH is the 431/12 and I always have both the diesel switch AND the electric assist switch turned on ALL the time.

When not on shore or generator power the diesel will keep my water hot and my coach warm. I don't have to think about whether the switch is on or not. When I have the generator running or parked with shore power, the electric assist will keep the water hot and coach warm until the demand is too much then the diesel will kick in automatically. Again I don't have to think about which switches are on or not.

There is one Aqua Hot model 450 where many owners have chosen to leave the diesel switch off until needed, mostly on the Entegra Owner's forum. For the life of me I still don't understand why but to each their own.

You may choose to do the same but for me I prefer to have both on ALL the time. That way I let the Aqua-Hot unit manage which one to use instead of me having to manage it.

YMMV

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #4

Good morning, Presidio. You don't show the make and year of your coach, but I will share our experience.

We have an '06 Dynasty with the AH-100 which has one electric element. We love it! THESE THINGS ARE FAIRLY QUIET AND CLEAN BURNING, BUT RUNNING ONE ON DIESEL IF NOT NECESSARY IS BEING A BAD NEIGHBOR. They do smell, and they do make a bit of a squeal and an exhaust noise that is greater than your average RV furnace and/or water heater.

Here's how we use it, when we are in an environment that calls for heating, versus A/C.

Temps 50 to 65 (AquaHot on ELEC only!)
Bedroom zone - OFF
Bathroom zone - AquaHot (FURNACE), set at 72.
Living room zone - Heat Pump, set at 72

Temps 40 to 50 (AquaHot on ELEC Only!)
Bedroom zone - AquaHot, set at 62
Bathroom zone - AquaHot, set at 72
Dual level space heater in the living room on low (600 W) on continuous

Temps 30 to 40 (AquaHot on ELEC Only!)
Bedroom zone - AquaHot, set at 62
Bathroom zone - AquaHot, set at 72.
Dual level space heater in the living room on high (1200 W) on continuous

NOTE! At temps much below 40, the heat pumps begin to get pretty inefficient. If you are in a higher humidity area, you'll want to go to AquaHot at maybe 40 degrees instead of 35 or 30 as your heat pump will spend a lot of its time in the defrost mode and your heating value will become pretty minimal.

Temps below 30, Both DIESEL and ELEC ON
All zones on AquaHot

Truly, we have never had any issues with keeping the coach comfortable with that regime, and we've never run out of hot water, even with two consecutive showers. The AquaHot is a "stored energy" type of system, and as long as you keep the amount of energy you draw out of the system over time equal to or less than the amount of energy you put in, you will be good to go. Demand too much in too short of a time, and you won't be happy. But they are a great system! Just manage your energy and you'll love it.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #5

check your tempurature mixing valve, had the same issue, replaced the inside of the valve, plenty of hot water again.
fredg206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #6

Sorry was away today. Coach is a Dynasty 2010. I can't see the Amp load on the elements but when using the heat with them it seems to work fine at even 35 outside temp.

When the diesel in on I have very hot water non stop. I guess the electric can't handle heat and hot water when the incoming water is at below 45 degree.
Presidio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredg206 View Post
check your tempurature mixing valve, .
I would think it is something like this.

Most of our outings are in ambient temperatures of 60 plus, and we have no problems with having warm water for dish washing and my wife and I taking two showers on just the electric heating element Most of our camping is post to post so I have no problem dumping the grey tank when it needs it. So, we don't skimp on the showers and our Aqua Hot (AH100 model with one 1200 watt electric heater) works just fine on electric only.

We typically don't use coach heat in these circumstances, but we will kick on the diesel if we turn on the coach heat.

When we were in Canada with ambient temps in mid 30s to 40s and 30 amp power we used diesel for both showers and coach heat.

So, to me I would think you have an issue with your unit. I would look at things, like the mixing valve, as the source of your problem.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredg206 View Post
check your tempurature mixing valve, had the same issue, replaced the inside of the valve, plenty of hot water again.
The 'tempering valve'?
We have a 450 de and have to use the diesel any time we take a shower, for lack of hot water. Normal washing, no problems.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Wife and I have been full-timing in our 07 Dynasty with the 600D unit for the past 3 months ... temps from teens to 30's (highs). AquaHot full-time ... on diesel only. Ran the unit on combo electric/diesel and thought the electric bill was high ($120 @ $.09/KWhr) so we've just been using diesel. Set thermostats to 72 during the day and 58 at night. Only takes about an hour for the temps to hit 58 inside so it basically runs all the time. Using about 1/2 tank diesel/month ... not cheap! And we are also using a 700/1400 watt space heater up front on/off since the front is harder to keep warm than rear of coach. We need to wear hot water suits.
tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Does the Dynasty, Executive, Navigator, Marquis, and Signature all have the same model Aqua Hot (as long as they are the same year model)?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Does the Dynasty, Executive, Navigator, Marquis, and Signature all have the same model Aqua Hot (as long as they are the same year model)?
Not "Bend" Beaver models Patriot and Marquis. The boilers on these were probably all the same as the other models mentioned, but the radiators were by another vendor. There would be no reason to use other than the current year's model of Aqua Hot.

Downstream models typically had Hydro Hots installed versus the Aqua Hot units. And again, Beaver had non-Aqua Hot radiators.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
The Sig, and Navigator came with the large, dual elec element 600D model. Not sure if any of the other models you listed did.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Our 07 Executive came with the AHE-100-04S single electric element.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:00 AM   #14

Ditto, our 2007 Navigator also came with the AHE-100-04S until it got an unrepairable leak and I replaced it with a dual element 600D.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote