Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Aqua Hot Tuneup and Fluid Change

The heading should read "Tune Up." Oh well. So much for SpellCheck!!!

I'm fortunate to have a very skilled and knowledgeable neighbor who is very willing to assist when asked. So I did. And with that request, he was the "eyes" and I was the "wrench" completing the:
1. Yearly tune up
2. A complete system drain, flush and refill with nice, clean fluid

While I would NOT suggest this to everyone, what it did for me was teach me the basics and what to do and what not to do. But one of the best outcomes of this hands-on work was finding all of the faults of the previous owner and or his service person. Fortunately all were easily corrected and relatively inexpensively. But had I not found these now, they would most assuredly have caused expensive problems in the very near future!!!!

Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

And those "faults" are....? (the suspense!)

Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4Fun View Post
And those "faults" are....? (the suspense!)
x2 curious minds have to know
Traps90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #4

X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
x2 curious minds have to know
Let's hear....
deboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
The heading should read "Tune Up." Oh well. So much for SpellCheck!!!

I'm fortunate to have a very skilled and knowledgeable neighbor who is very willing to assist when asked. So I did. And with that request, he was the "eyes" and I was the "wrench" completing the:
1. Yearly tune up
2. A complete system drain, flush and refill with nice, clean fluid

While I would NOT suggest this to everyone, what it did for me was teach me the basics and what to do and what not to do. But one of the best outcomes of this hands-on work was finding all of the faults of the previous owner and or his service person. Fortunately all were easily corrected and relatively inexpensively. But had I not found these now, they would most assuredly have caused expensive problems in the very near future!!!!
Sorry for this delay. Still working for a living!!!

Several items:
1. Overflow plastic line from side of AQ radiator cap was very short and therefore bent into an "L" as if it was "PINCHED CLOSE" eliminate any fluid from traveling in either direction.
2. AH tank was down about two gallons. Not yet dangerous, but getting to the point of some concern. Due to the pinched/bent overflow line, there was lots of leakage spewing all over the AH internals.
3. I added a shutoff valve to this line for future maintenance. But replaced it with a reinforced/braded line.
4. The mixture of antifreeze and water was apparently mixed with regular "tap water" rather than distilled. That solution also appeared to be "polluted." This will eventually cause corrosion within the entire AH system. As you may already know, the AH is a VERY expensive unit to replace if not treated with respect.
5. The AH tow covers - top and bottom - were simple placed inside and on top of the unit (and each other). Not secured with any screws thereby allowing to rubbing and scratching as I bounced on-down-the-road.
6. Wiring for the #1 Zone recirculating pump (Bedroom) were buried in back of everything, almost impossible to get to. Once we found them, pulled them apart and reattached them - now viewable - the # 1 Zone recirculating pump began to work eliminating the need to purchase a new one!!!!!

Again, I'm no mechanic and could not fix a broken AH. But by doing this rather simple yearly maintenance, I've saved myself a small chunk of money and became far more familiar with the functions of the AH.

Two last items:
1. I use Biobor JF - Diesel Fuel Biocide for fuel system cleaning. Now when I start and or run my AH, there is ZERO smoke coming out of the exhaust (I am not specifically suggesting that anyone purchase this specific product but rather using it as an example of a diesel cleaning agent important for all diesel engines.)
2. I also use Power Service 09280-06 Clear-Diesel Fuel as I would use a "Stable" in a type gas engine to preserver the gas if not used often enough. Rather than allowing it to "gum up" in your gas/diesel lines. (I am not specifically suggesting that anyone purchase this specific product but rather using it as an example of a diesel stabilizing agent important for all diesel engines.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AH Overflow Line.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	503.7 KB
ID:	188924   Click image for larger version

Name:	AH Overflow Line Shut-Off Valve #2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	188925  

Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #6

Well... I asked.
I guess I assumed most RV owners understand that routine (or scheduled) maintenance is a required aspect of ownership. The Aqua-Hot is one of those items on my "annual service list" and have always performed the service myself. As with many things, the first time there is a learning curve...

I guess that's where resources like this forum prove invaluable. I think many more owners would be hands on if they understood how willing the RV Community is to help people learn about specific challenges as relates to the Maintenance and Service of their coach / RV.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just for fun, I am curious as to the reason for the valve in the "overflow line"??? On my AH it just moves coolant to the overflow tank when hot and back to the boiler tank when cooling down to make sure the boiler is always full all the time (just like my car radiator).

Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #8

Ditto. I had a few questions also, but it's not as though the OP is soliciting help... can't really peg the purpose of the post. I guess I'll stay out of this :-)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Well... I asked.
I guess I assumed most RV owners understand that routine (or scheduled) maintenance is a required aspect of ownership. The Aqua-Hot is one of those items on my "annual service list" and have always performed the service myself. As with many things, the first time there is a learning curve...

I guess that's where resources like this forum prove invaluable. I think many more owners would be hands on if they understood how willing the RV Community is to help people learn about specific challenges as relates to the Maintenance and Service of their coach / RV.
Self maintenance is a critical item for our sophisticated coaches.

What I find very interesting is that a lot of this remedial and or annual maintenance is really not that difficult. But as you say, it is soooooooo much easier if we have someone looking over our shoulder as we fumble around with tools.

And "YES" this and other specific forums are excellent for knowledge sharing from those who have the background/experience. But, with that said, like with anything on the Internet, some simply like to use this a forum for there less than knowledge input.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Ditto. I had a few questions also, but it's not as though the OP is soliciting help... can't really peg the purpose of the post. I guess I'll stay out of this :-)
The reason for my post is simple to disseminate the knowledge I gained. That's what most of us do.

This "sharing" aspect on this forum is almost unprecedented. So whenever I can be of some assistance to others, I want to. So many others have help me along the way.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Sorry for this delay. Still working for a living!!!

Several items:
1. Overflow plastic line from side of AQ radiator cap was very short and therefore bent into an "L" as if it was "PINCHED CLOSE" eliminate any fluid from traveling in either direction.
2. AH tank was down about two gallons. Not yet dangerous, but getting to the point of some concern. Due to the pinched/bent overflow line, there was lots of leakage spewing all over the AH internals.
3. I added a shutoff valve to this line for future maintenance. But replaced it with a reinforced/braded line.
4. The mixture of antifreeze and water was apparently mixed with regular "tap water" rather than distilled. That solution also appeared to be "polluted." This will eventually cause corrosion within the entire AH system. As you may already know, the AH is a VERY expensive unit to replace if not treated with respect.
5. The AH tow covers - top and bottom - were simple placed inside and on top of the unit (and each other). Not secured with any screws thereby allowing to rubbing and scratching as I bounced on-down-the-road.
6. Wiring for the #1 Zone recirculating pump (Bedroom) were buried in back of everything, almost impossible to get to. Once we found them, pulled them apart and reattached them - now viewable - the # 1 Zone recirculating pump began to work eliminating the need to purchase a new one!!!!!

Again, I'm no mechanic and could not fix a broken AH. But by doing this rather simple yearly maintenance, I've saved myself a small chunk of money and became far more familiar with the functions of the AH.

Two last items:
1. I use Biobor JF - Diesel Fuel Biocide for fuel system cleaning. Now when I start and or run my AH, there is ZERO smoke coming out of the exhaust (I am not specifically suggesting that anyone purchase this specific product but rather using it as an example of a diesel cleaning agent important for all diesel engines.)
2. I also use Power Service 09280-06 Clear-Diesel Fuel as I would use a "Stable" in a type gas engine to preserver the gas if not used often enough. Rather than allowing it to "gum up" in your gas/diesel lines. (I am not specifically suggesting that anyone purchase this specific product but rather using it as an example of a diesel stabilizing agent important for all diesel engines.)
Thanks for the write up - Always nice to share with the Group.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
Just for fun, I am curious as to the reason for the valve in the "overflow line"??? On my AH it just moves coolant to the overflow tank when hot and back to the boiler tank when cooling down to make sure the boiler is always full all the time (just like my car radiator).

Dave
Good question. While it is not essential, what I realized is that it is a convenient item to have for the following reasons:
1. Since I was replacing the tubing to the overflow tank, this was a $4/$5 item that was an easy install even if I only needed it once
2. I was originally going to have to replace my Zone #1 recirculating pump. This would have required that I drain at least 8 gallons (about 1/2 my tank). Rather than also draining the overflow tank. Now I can simple shout that stream off.
3. If for any reason I have to work on the AH tank, I simple shut off the valve and pull the tub

There are several other reasons, but you probable get the idea. I really like simple items that can help me - if not immediately - long term.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
The reason for my post is simple to disseminate the knowledge I gained. That's what most of us do.

This "sharing" aspect on this forum is almost unprecedented. So whenever I can be of some assistance to others, I want to. So many others have help me along the way.
I can see where my comment may be a little abrasive... What I was trying to get across is related to the mixed message within your original post; You come across as (almost) self-deprecating by stating that 'I am no mechanic and I could not fix a broken Aqua Hot'. Frankly, you seem to have the required aptitude, and I believe you (and almost anybody else) could fix a broken Aqua Hot / hydronic heating system! As relates to the sharing of knowledge... Obviously that's the whole purpose of this forum! I would hope that nothing I say would discourage anyone from doing exactly that. If I wasn't clear, I apologize, my comments could have been a bit more sensitive towards your interests.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Never heard of a top & bottom AH 'Tow covers' .

Do you have any pictures of these?

Tags
fluid