Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #477

dash AC- works!

TLDR: AC service: Check your guage set and understand how it works- vibration loosens nobs, and they can leak. I spent a lot of time debugging when my cheap tool was the issue.

Update on my dash air: my high pressure hose exploded. I got turned away from a few shops who hate RV’s (or RV owners-I can’t decide) so decided to tackle it myself. I removed the hose and took it to NAPA, and they matched the fittings and hoses. The guy there referred me to a local shop, that unbelievably was around the corner- they built the hose while I stood there.. It cost about 50 bucks, with the very important green O rings. Popped it back in, and grabbed my Harbor freight gauges and pulled down a vacuum with my Harbor Freight vacuum pump and let it suck everything down for an hour.

Shut everything down, and within an hour the vacuum was gone, so I have a pretty good leak. I am pretty confident that something else was wrong, and considered using propane as a gas to pressure up and test- but could not get all the fittings and safety valves disabled, and it’s illegal, so just went to 134 for a test run.

I suppose I could have tried to get a bottle of nitrogen or co2, but this is getting kind of expensive for experiments. So I pulled another vacuum, purged lines and started to fill with 134 and UV dye to locate the leak. The system would not charge enough to start the compressor, so I opened the high side just to quickly get some Freon in to get the compressor to start. I closed it once the pressures had balanced(IMPORTANT). 134 would not flow on the low side by the compressor- so I went to the evaporator at the dash and charged it through that port with a cheapie leftover can I had laying around and that was enough to kick the compressor in. The pressure readings did not make any sense- it started cooling after 3 or 4 12oz cans but I was reading no pressure change and would not take any 134 by the compressor. I unhooked everything, and left it to think about it and went to work, expecting to come back to an empty system and try again.

I rewatched some AC videos (Eric the car guy) and it occurred to me I was not seating the gauges correctly on the schrader valves. I also found a great resource on slideshare.net airconditioningtraingmanual. Armed with this new knowledge, I went back out to try again expecting an empty system.

But no! plenty of pressure left in the system. Hmm.

So sure enough, you screw the gauge valves on the schrader valves opposite way I assumed, and 134 started flowing. I then noticed that oil was bubbling out the high pressure hose at the guage. Great. The guage valves are so loose the motor vibration unscrewes and shuts off the AC flow.

So I have dash air! Yay!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #478

Monaco Owners Club
How much freon?

I also have a 96 Navigator that I had to replace the expansion valve, was wondering how many of the 12oz cans did you use?
Thanks Carl
Magna #6225
42 Resort 505
Carl & Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #479

I think I used about 4 or 5; but it was really hard to tell as the min pressure is about 80psi and therefore there was a lot leftover in each can. I'm not declaring complete success yet. I just filled it to get enough a pretty good swing on pressures,blowing cold, and as I was thinking I was trying to find a leak; I didn't pay enough attention. I'll be driving it and see how it goes. If the pressure holds I'll take it and get it evacuated, get a new drier, flush out the condenser and have a real tech pressurize it-
Old 10-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #480

dash a/c

grrr- A/C worked for one trip, then sprung a leak somewhere by the dryer. I'll pull it apart and see if I have a blockage in the condenser which sounds like it could be part of what is going on...it makes no sense that 4-5 cans charge up this beast.

Now my alternator has stopped charging. A bit more important. Lights so dim I had to drive with the spotlight!

Is there an inline fuse somewhere? Anyone have luck with a replacement alternator numbers?
Old 10-21-2017, 04:52 AM   #481

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Recently replaced my alternator. First check with Monaco to get the model number of the alternator originally installed (just give them your VIN #). Mine was a 2824LC. You can then shop around. I found the best price at Quality Power. High Output Alternators & High Torque Starters I decided to replace my 160 amp Leece Neville with a 200 amp Delco Remy 28SI. I purchased the new one with a pully installed and had my old LN rebuilt and carry it as a spare. The install was fairly simple except on the DR you don't connect the excite wire since it is self exciting.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #482

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What do you think?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1509763526
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	almost4.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	181877  
kees boode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #483

94 HR Navigator

Sorry I'm WAAAAY late to the party, but just found this thread.

94 Nav 38WB w/ as many of the listed options as the manual would specify. With the exception of the water system, have tested and repaired whatever needed repairing or service on main systems, and have been SHOCKED to see how almost EVERY SINGLE ONE has worked without ANY issues, if I finally find out what I'M supposed to do!

Could use some clean-up on the paint, but the guts and bones of this thing are incredible. My wife and my kids have joined me in just absolutely LOVING this thing.

(No, we don't take it to bed with us. Not enough room.)
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:22 AM   #484

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thumbs up Welcome to the party

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoPilot View Post
Sorry I'm WAAAAY late to the party, but just found this thread.

94 Nav 38WB w/ as many of the listed options as the manual would specify. With the exception of the water system, have tested and repaired whatever needed repairing or service on main systems, and have been SHOCKED to see how almost EVERY SINGLE ONE has worked without ANY issues, if I finally find out what I'M supposed to do!

Could use some clean-up on the paint, but the guts and bones of this thing are incredible. My wife and my kids have joined me in just absolutely LOVING this thing.

(No, we don't take it to bed with us. Not enough room.)
Some pictures please .
Old 01-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #485

Nice Graphic-

I'd add this minor change:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navigator.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	190234  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #486

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
color

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytho View Post
I'd add this minor change:
Awesome
Old 02-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #487

Monaco Owners Club
Paint codes?
Does anyone know where to look for the paint codes for 1996 Navigator?
Magna #6225
42 Resort 505
Carl & Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:16 AM   #488

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I call Monaco and gave them the VIN# of my MH. They sent me a copy of the Build Sheet which included the paint codes.

MONACO HOT LINE 877-466-6226
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #489

Lightning hit my 96 Nav causing fire. Insurance is totaling it. So on to next adventure. I have a spare Basement AC control card if needed. Think I paid $250 for it. Don’t know if you can even buy them anymore. Contact me if interested.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #490

Sorry for your loss. But sometimes it's good to wipe the slate clean and start over. Good luck with whatever you end up with next.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote