RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
STRIP,

Went back and did some checking. I had to replace my thermostat 4 or 5 years ago.

I got this one from PPL in Houston.

Coleman Thermostat.

PPL #: 61962
MFG #: 6636-3441

It was the only one I could find that met all the requirements.

1) Had to be able to control 2 compressors (2-Stage).
2) Had to utilize 12 volt DC control voltage.
3) Had to be able to control a separate RV furnace when in Heat mode (also 12 volt control voltage).

This was the only one I could find, and at the time I was in Houston and PPL just happened to have it in stock. Ran by there, picked one up and installed it back at the RV park that evening.

Let us know what you find.

Bill B
Thermostat ordered, Thank you.

STRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #576

Quote:
STRIP,

Went back and did some checking. I had to replace my thermostat 4 or 5 years ago.

I got this one from PPL in Houston.

Coleman Thermostat.

PPL #: 61962
MFG #: 6636-3441

It was the only one I could find that met all the requirements.

1) Had to be able to control 2 compressors (2-Stage).
2) Had to utilize 12 volt DC control voltage.
3) Had to be able to control a separate RV furnace when in Heat mode (also 12 volt control voltage).

This was the only one I could find, and at the time I was in Houston and PPL just happened to have it in stock. Ran by there, picked one up and installed it back at the RV park that evening.

Let us know what you find.

Bill B
I have not even looked inside a thermostat before. are they simple to wire up or do I need a wiring diagram?

Old 05-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRIP View Post
I have not even looked inside a thermostat before. are they simple to wire up or do I need a wiring diagram?
STRIP,

Had to go out and pull the thermostat off the wall to remember what I did 4 or 5 years ago. Man . . . the memory sure isn't what it used to be!

Anyway. . . The wiring is not bad at all assuming the wiring on your Navigator is the same as mine.

Coming out of the cabinet(wall) you will have two plugs connected to the back of your old thermostat.(they may be stuffed back up in the hole). One is a 9-pin plug the other is a 4-pin plug.

On the back of your new thermostat you will have a 9-pin plug, and a 3-pin plug.

The good news is the 9-pin plugs go together with no modification. That leaves us with a 3-pin plug on the new thermostat that must plug into 4-pin plug on the motorhome.

Fortunately the first 3 wires of the 4-pin plug (red, white, blue) are the same as the 3-pin (red, white, blue). The motorhome plug has an additional wire (pin 4). This 4th wire controls the blower on the furnace. So what I did was cut the 3-pin plug off the new thermostat, and attached my old 4-pin plug from the old thermostat matching up the red, white and blue wires respectively. I then ran a jumper from the 4th wire, back to the "High Fan" on the 9-pin plug.

You just need to be sure you find the (GH) High Fan wire on the 9-pin plug. See attached diagram.

Let me know if this is makes sense. While it's clear to me, sometimes my descriptions are not the best. . . or at least that's what the wife tells me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat_Schematic.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	245342  
vtwinwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #578

1995 Holiday Rambler Imperial

Hi Guys
I'm new to all this so please bear with me. We recently purchased a 95 HR Imperial from the original owner with 35,000 miles on her. Drove it from Los Angeles to our home in British Columbia which was was hilarious. I could post more info if anyone is interested as well as pictures of the reno we performed.
Right now I'm looking for drivers side window glass as 2 of the panes have fogged up. I have searched a few salvage yards with no luck.
If anyone can assist with info on this, it would be much appreciated.
tbostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #579

Quote:
STRIP,

Had to go out and pull the thermostat off the wall to remember what I did 4 or 5 years ago. Man . . . the memory sure isn't what it used to be!

Anyway. . . The wiring is not bad at all assuming the wiring on your Navigator is the same as mine.

Coming out of the cabinet(wall) you will have two plugs connected to the back of your old thermostat.(they may be stuffed back up in the hole). One is a 9-pin plug the other is a 4-pin plug.

On the back of your new thermostat you will have a 9-pin plug, and a 3-pin plug.

The good news is the 9-pin plugs go together with no modification. That leaves us with a 3-pin plug on the new thermostat that must plug into 4-pin plug on the motorhome.

Fortunately the first 3 wires of the 4-pin plug (red, white, blue) are the same as the 3-pin (red, white, blue). The motorhome plug has an additional wire (pin 4). This 4th wire controls the blower on the furnace. So what I did was cut the 3-pin plug off the new thermostat, and attached my old 4-pin plug from the old thermostat matching up the red, white and blue wires respectively. I then ran a jumper from the 4th wire, back to the "High Fan" on the 9-pin plug.

You just need to be sure you find the (GH) High Fan wire on the 9-pin plug. See attached diagram.

Let me know if this is makes sense. While it's clear to me, sometimes my descriptions are not the best. . . or at least that's what the wife tells me!
That is an excellent description, Thank you very much. Of course when I pull mine out, I fully expect to be thoroughly confused as I am sure with my luck it will be completely different. Haha! with this machine, I will learn to be a diesel mechanic, electronic technition, hvac guy, etcetcetc. And I am just a machinist. But I do have a laser engraver and 3d printer if anyone needs anything.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #580

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbostrom View Post
. . . Right now I'm looking for drivers side window glass as 2 of the panes have fogged up. I have searched a few salvage yards with no luck.
If anyone can assist with info on this, it would be much appreciated.
tbostrom,

If your windows are fogged up, I can only assume they are double pane windows. That is, 2 pieces of glass with an air space between them to insulate the heat and cold from the outside. The space between the glass is filled with an inert gas and sealed to prevent moisture intrusion. As these windows age, the seal breaks down and allows moisture to enter the gap, which causes them to fog.

I guess my point is . . . even if you were to find these in a salvage yard it's unlikely they'll be in any better shape than what you currently have.

The more traditional approach is to have these windows rebuilt. There are a number of places around the US (not sure about Canada) that will reassemble the window with a new seal and re-inject it with inert gas to prevent future fogging.

The place close to me is RV Fog Pros but I'm sure there must be someone closer to you.

I've never done this before, nor can I speak to the quality of the process, but this seems like a reasonable way to go. At least something to look into.

BB
vtwinwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #581

vtwinwilly

Yes, you are correct that these are sealed units and agree that finding used units will not be any better than what I already have.

I will contact RV Fog Pros and see how they can assist.
Appreciate the info.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #582

Quote:
STRIP,

Thank you very much. new thermostat corrected the short cycling. works great!!!
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #583

Tire Revisit

Hello,

All the tire talk here recently reminded me of this article from last year. It and the referenced ones are a good read.

jalopnik.com/goodyear-knew-of-dangerous-rv-tire-failures-for-over-20-1824997252
TestDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #584

HWH leveling system

Hi Guys,
We have a 1995 HR Imperial with the HWH leveling system and I can not find the leveling sensor as I would like to make an adjustment so it levels properly when using the automatic option. Does anyone know where this might be located?
Thanks for any help.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #585

Spartan Chassis
In my 1993 Navigator it is located in the same space as the basement AC unit.
Stevens10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #586

Monaco Owners Club
1994 Navigator here. The control box is located in the electrical bay, driver's side front compartment. It is directly under the driver's seat. Black box that is velcro and strapped to the front wall of the compartment.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afc-Jr View Post
1994 Navigator here. The control box is located in the electrical bay, driver's side front compartment. It is directly under the driver's seat. Black box that is velcro and strapped to the front wall of the compartment.

Thanks for the info. I will check and hopefully mine is located in the same location.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #588

Spartan Chassis
Afc-junior is correct about the control box, but the sensor is in a different location and is probably mounted on three small bolts so it can be adjusted relative to the coach body.

Stevens10 is offline   Reply With Quote