Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Are you happy with your A/C?

I'm curious how others use their A/C while using shore power in hot climates. We've been parked in 90-97 temps for about 2 weeks now in sunny AZ and I'm struggling with what I should be doing to get the best use of our AC.

Our coach is an 07 Dynasty Platinum 41' with 2 OEM 15K units (I wish it had 3) They both seem to work as expected however the air flow out of the roof registers is mediocre at best from mid-coach forward. You can hang beef in the bedroom using the rear unit however the forward section seems to be lacking, likely due to one unit trying to cool are much larger space. However the air coming out of each unit is about the same/cold. I've read up on the complaints about the poor central ducting design, etc. and did block off the central duct at rear of kitchen which seemed to help some, aside from allowing me to run either front or rear more efficiently.

Since we spend most our time outside I've let the coach sit most of the day w/out any A/C running inside with fantastic vents open/running. Then I turn the A/C on about 1-2 hours before we head in for the day however it seems it takes forever to cool down inside (below 80) likely due to being a big heat sink. I've checked filters, cleanliness of the roof top units, etc.. to ensure there are no obstructions or something affecting performance.

Would it be better to run one or both units all day regardless if we are inside? Seems it would solve the problem of taking a long time to cool down once we go inside.

I'm curious how others use their A/C in a similar environment and if anyone has any tips to share before I cut a large hole in the side and install a residential window A/C unit

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophog View Post
I'm curious how others use their A/C while using shore power in hot climates. We've been parked in 90-97 temps for about 2 weeks now in sunny AZ and I'm struggling with what I should be doing to get the best use of our AC.

Our coach is an 07 Dynasty Platinum 41' with 2 OEM 15K units (I wish it had 3) They both seem to work as expected however the air flow out of the roof registers is mediocre at best from mid-coach forward. You can hang beef in the bedroom using the rear unit however the forward section seems to be lacking, likely due to one unit trying to cool are much larger space. However the air coming out of each unit is about the same/cold. I've read up on the complaints about the poor central ducting design, etc. and did block off the central duct at rear of kitchen which seemed to help some, aside from allowing me to run either front or rear more efficiently.

Since we spend most our time outside I've let the coach sit most of the day w/out any A/C running inside with fantastic vents open/running. Then I turn the A/C on about 1-2 hours before we head in for the day however it seems it takes forever to cool down inside (below 80) likely due to being a big heat sink. I've checked filters, cleanliness of the roof top units, etc.. to ensure there are no obstructions or something affecting performance.

Would it be better to run one or both units all day regardless if we are inside? Seems it would solve the problem of taking a long time to cool down once we go inside.

I'm curious how others use their A/C in a similar environment and if anyone has any tips to share before I cut a large hole in the side and install a residential window A/C unit
The AC units are biased towards the rear, and the space is not friendly to air flow between the zones, so the rear tends to be colder.

One key, leave the front AC on when you leave the coach, it will have a really hard time catching up if you turn it off for even half an hour. Remember it is not just the air in the space, but the walls and ceiling will be radiating stored heat inwards.

Also make sure to use ALL your awnings.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 44' Dynasty with 3 ACs and have been in Yuma since October. Lately we set all 3 for 72 and let them go. At night they don't run but come on by 10am. We initially shut them down and turned them on when we got uncomfortable. Well that didn't work. Once the inside gets hot, it takes forever (sunset) to cool off... so now we leave them on 24/7. Our coach is all electric, but we presently workamping, so the juice is free 😁
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #4

I had this problem in our last 5er. After much searching and head banging I discovered the Duo-Therm Genesis air filtration system. It has the option to direct chilled/or heated air into the ductwork or open directly into the room, which really makes a big difference/improvement in cooling that area.
I bought one of the first models sold and had problems with the insturctions.
Read more here: Duo-Therm Genesis Air Filtration System
This is in addition to its original purpose, filtering incoming air. It helped reduce my asthma symptoms as well as cool the living/kitchen area quite quickly in hot weather.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't turn my air off in those temps. After it heats up, it's hard to cool back down. Like others said, you are having to cool the walls, furniture, cabinets and everything else before you'll notice a difference. It's like an absorption fridge, it takes a while when starting from scratch. I turn mine where I like it, or if I'm going to be outside for a while, maybe a couple of degrees warmer than needed then put it where I'm comfortable as soon as I come inside.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #6

We're in Yuma as well, we have insulated our coach to the max! Fiberglass insulation, insulated our ac units for efficiency, ceramic window tint, window awnings etc. Our AC's are keeping our mh very comfortable. We are fulltime and have stayed in single digit temps as well with no problems thanks to insulation.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes, what the others have said, let it run, or be hot? Your choice? I too have always set the thermostat to automatic and left the two run, also have put a small fan to blow the air from the back to the front when needed!
SHADE, is the best thing you can have in Az.! Rail!
PS, the screen shades that go over your front and side windows on the outside work great, and help too, and you can still see out, but people can't see in!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This is what the screen shades look like from the outside and from the inside!Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1866823936887930  Mona!.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	155516

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1866823986887925  Living room in Mona.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	155517
Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As others have said, let the units roll - don't wait to turn them on. Takes longer to catch up.

Awnings make a big difference. If possible have the rear of the RV to the south so as to help reduce the thermal load.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have a 40' and have camped in temps into the 100's and are very comfortable. We deploy the window awnings and have folding sunscreens in the driver and passenger side windows as well as the windshield. We run the AC all the time when its that hot.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We've got the 40'er with 2 A/C units. When in the heat, we'll turn the thermostat up 10 degrees during the day. It still feels good when we get back, and there isn't as much heat load to overcome.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #12

Not sure if your coach has the center AC outlets (right at the AC unit itself) as well as the ducted ones, but we've found the ducting never could push as much air as the simple center outlets. Therefore, we put up with the increased noise during the day when it's hot, and then open the ducts at nite.

We removed the central Vent-fan in our 06 Endeavor and added another AC unit in the hole, for a total of 3. Not that much work, and it makes a huge difference.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Not sure if your coach has the center AC outlets (right at the AC unit itself) as well as the ducted ones, but we've found the ducting never could push as much air as the simple center outlets. Therefore, we put up with the increased noise during the day when it's hot, and then open the ducts at nite.

We removed the central Vent-fan in our 06 Endeavor and added another AC unit in the hole, for a total of 3. Not that much work, and it makes a huge difference.
When we were looking to buy a coach, I saw quite a few with three A/Cs that had added the third exactly like that.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Sounds like the solution is leaving at least one unit on/running during the day.

Yeah, we do all the usual stuff like using external sunscreens on fwd windows, curtains pulled, visors down, day/night shades pulled down, etc. We are presently parked facing South so the afternoon sun does cook the PS side of coach ... and we use all the awnings we have wind permitting.

Coach just has the central duct running down center with registers. I wish the AC units dumped directly into coach ...they would work better IMO.

Some pics ... https://goo.gl/photos/TpP4jojqoLtsxh2t9