Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #1

Angry Arhhhhh I've got mice!

Went out to winterize tonight, open the wet bay door and found mouse poop. Big ones! I just dumped tanks last night and nothing was there. Checked the other bays and more poops. On top the engine too. I opened the generator area and a big fat mouse (body as big as a tennis ball) was sitting there looking at me. It waddled away before I could find something to poke it. For the amount of droppings it seems to be more then one. Set traps and posion and will see what happens in the morning.

Made it five years with no problems till now.

Carl
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #2

Either they found or made a hole to get in, either way, you need to look in every nook and cranny for a hole the size of a dime or bigger. Fill it with great stuff foam
Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Carl.....Last year I found a ton of mouse poop where I store my hoses on top of the propane tank. I also found some on top of the generator. I bought one of those ultrasonic devices from Home Depot. I keep my coach at home and the 110 power box for the coach is located about a foot off of the concrete and dead center of the coach. I plugged the ultrasonic unit into the outlet and put a piece of gorilla tape over the top of it to protect it from the rain. This year I had no mice or evidence of mice.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try spreading moth balls under your coach after you get rid of this batch of mice.

I put them down every fall and it lasts all winter.

Dave
Old 11-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We tried mothballs (stinky!!!) and fabric softner sheets all over!!!!! NOTHING worked.... got tired of the smell.... tried peppermint, cloves..still no good...... nothing works like a good old fashioned TRAP!!!! We are in a forest area so had to do something...... Word must've gotten out... we were slamming 1 - 2 a day on the top of the generator.... either we killed them all or the others realized this is a "no stroll" area!!!! We use basic peanut butter (actually organic-we want them healthy when they DIE!!!!) on the traps
Old 11-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
mice oh gosh

with the mice, i was putting moth balls in their holes, but my wife got tired of holding their little legs. just kidding, it came from an old joke. no laughing matter! i have not had mice, but i do use downy sheets everywhere in the storage areas. i took sandwich size baggies, used a 2 hole punch on them and stuffed a couple sheets in each bag. my fear is the engine compartment and wiring up and down the coach. they love chewing on wires!!!!!!!!!! oh and the hi decipal unit is great also. i lay a couple of those on the engine and hope it works. out temps are high enough in the winter so as not to use the block heater, so i use that outlet. electrical hatches and sewer hatches need to be assured of complete closing. i wish all of us well with the rats and mice!
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We acquired a mouse at a campground where I had run an electric cable (for portable solar panels) into a compartment through relatively large opening. We borrowed a live trap, didn't work. Got home, removed all the stuff from the compartments and put it in the garage, bought and set two types of traps, sticky and spring type. None of the traps caught anything.

Several weeks later started putting all the stuff back into the compartments, lo and behold there was a stinky glop of furry goo under the box that held our fire starter logs. Evidently the mouse hitched a ride and got crushed when we put the box down in the garage!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Body as big as a tennis ball...that was a RAT.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Get a CAT!
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #10

Thumbs up Got it!!

Emptied out the bays and set out 8 traps. I left the hydro-hot on and set one on top of it. Gave it a nice warm spot to eat. Next morning the one on the generator had the peanut butter gone, but did not trip. The one on the HH was gone! Looked on the back side and there it was. The body was bigger then the trap.

Checked again this morn and no new poop of tripped traps. Hopefully he was a loner.

Carl
Old 11-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ball bearing mouse trap called Jack that weighs 17 lbs. instills the fear in little miccceeeyyy's
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mice

Year before last, I had to have my carpet replaced due to mice eating and urinating all over it.
Used dryer sheets.
Used electronic noises.
Used those traps that killed the mouse inside its trap and kept him there.
Added a commercial product that appeared to the mouse to represent fox and cat urine. No odor to humans.

Cause: We had bird feeders nearby and they /mice/ would recover the seeds that drooped on the ground and took them to the m/h. They had a great time, but by far the best tool was using the traps w/peanut butter (about 10 - 12 in the m/h now), and to stop feeding the birds.

So far they're gone. We have a new carpet (insurance paid). And this is the second year with no mice. I hope we're done.

Joe from Ct.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote