Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #1

At what fuel level does your generator run out of fuel?

When does your generator run out of fuel, ours runs out at 3/8ths. of a tank. I'm surprised it isn't more around 1/8th.
Has anyone lowered there pickup tube and was it easy?
Thanks, Jerry

BTW we have a 2005 Monaco Diplomat 40DST
1948boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

Mine used to run out around 1/2 tank while driving with it sloshing around. Now it runs out about 1/16th of a tank. Very easy to do but hard to get to, at least on mine.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Mine used to run out around 1/2 tank while driving with it sloshing around. Now it runs out about 1/16th of a tank. Very easy to do but hard to get to, at least on mine.
Chad
Could you elaborate on parts used, where they were purchased, and what was entailed?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post

Could you elaborate on parts used, where they were purchased, and what was entailed?
I removed the existing hose (I think it was about 10"). I went to NAPA and bought a new hose that was I think 15" and seems like my tank was just over 16" tall. The hose I bought was a hard stiff plastic line that was very similar to what I removed. It was not a rubber line. Mine was cut on 45 degree angle on bottom. I took the top fitting and old line with me to make sure the new hose fit and held well. I believe I put a small hose clamp as insurance it wouldn't fall off. My coach is 07 Neptune and the only access I had to top of tank was filler cover so I could only get one arm at a time in to work on it. Trace your line from Genny to tank to verify which line. Careful it may have a smaller return line so make sure you have the correct one. Put Teflon thread tape around threads so it will not leak.
It is not very hard to do just a little time consuming. If you have better access it would be very easy. Good luck. You will love not having to stop as often for fuel while running Genny for fear of running it out. Just be careful if dry camping not to run your tank too low.
Chad
Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quite some time after I replaced my fuel pick-up tube, I was told that using teflon tape isn't recommended for use around diesel fuel, supposedly because the fuel can deteriorate it. Since the damage was already done (if any), I left mine as-is.

Anyone else aware of this?
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
GCS

At what fuel level does your generator run out of fuel?

We have a 2008 HR Endeavor, Cummins 400. My generator cuts off at 1/4 tank. That's a comfortable level for me.

Guy, Cindy and our Shelties Buddy and Natalie
with a Jeep Wrangler Saraha
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. 1/4 tank is enough fuel to get to a station to refill. 1/16 level to me is too low. I hope there's fuel nearby.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Quite some time after I replaced my fuel pick-up tube, I was told that using teflon tape isn't recommended for use around diesel fuel, supposedly because the fuel can deteriorate it. Since the damage was already done (if any), I left mine as-is.

Teflon tape is only there to make the threads slick so you can tighten the fitting more as pipe threads are tapered the wedge of the fitting is what stops leaks.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
We have a 2008 HR Endeavor, Cummins 400. My generator cuts off at 1/4 tank. That's a comfortable level for me.

Guy, Cindy and our Shelties Buddy and Natalie
with a Jeep Wrangler Saraha

As does mine. Manf put it at that level for a reason.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup

1/4 of a tank on our Adventurer. Just as the manual states. Only happened once to us.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post

Many people grab the white tape for all uses. Wrong! There is at least one other tape I'm aware of and it is yellow. I believe it's used for natural gas fittings. And for our gasser it's 1/4 tank.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #12

I posted earlier in the thread about extending my pick up. My generator would not cut off until around a quarter tank if I'm sitting still. But while I'm moving, especially in the hills, it would cut the Genny off even above half a tank. My coach only has a 75 gallon tank so sometimes it would cut off around 200 miles or less. Many times I wouldn't want to stop that often for fuel. Especially in places where truck stops are further apart than that. When its hot out we always run Genny with a/c cause my son sits on couch and dash air is not adequate. Therefore that's the reason I lengthened mine.
Chad
Old 03-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #13

I agree with what Chad says. My generator would shut off at about half tank as well. OP if you look under my username there is a recent post with pictures where I extended. My tubes were metal and they changed to plastic in the later models. Make sure the new tubes are rated to be submersible in diesel. Your model year will likely be plastic/nylon tubes.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
You could use a electric dual tank valve and plum it up so one "tank" is the same fuel feed line as the engine and the other "tank" is the normal fuel feed for the generator. That way when you are travaling down the road it will not cut out but when you park it it will not drain your gas tank dry.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator