RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
I'm sure others will chime in here, but my assumption is that the ATC sensor 'sees' a drop in fuel pressure/flow from a clogged filter as a drop in power to the wheels and thinks it's a situation where the ATC should kick in.
I believe when the ATC does kick in like when I was stuck in two feet of Georgia mud last spring it simply cuts the amount of power to the rear wheels thru a reduction in fuel being delivered to the motor. So when the ATC light comes on when the filters begin to clog it thinks that the ATC is activated.
It's really one of those strange but true things that one experiences with the ownership of a MH.

nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
UPDATE----My buddy changed out his fuel filter- His ATC warning went out and his M/H runs like NEW! Thanks for all the help>

Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
If your buddy is mechanical at all and inclined to tackle the job when needed, I would suggest for him to carry an extra set of fuel filters just in case they get clogged again.

All you need is about one gallon of diesel fuel to pre-charge both of the filters as you do NOT want to install them empty. You will burn out the fuel pump if you do.

I have extra filters now and will change them when needed as I drove over 1800 miles from the Yukon to California not knowing that the real problem was the clogged fuel filters and changing them would fix my problem.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If your buddy is mechanical at all and inclined to tackle the job when needed, I would suggest for him to carry an extra set of fuel filters just in case they get clogged again.

All you need is about one gallon of diesel fuel to pre-charge both of the filters as you do NOT want to install them empty. You will burn out the fuel pump if you do.

I have extra filters now and will change them when needed as I drove over 1800 miles from the Yukon to California not knowing that the real problem was the clogged fuel filters and changing them would fix my problem.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Couldn't agree more as I never go anywhere without my gallon of diesel and both filters for the engine and I even carry an extra for the generator too.
It does clearly state in my manual to not pre fill the filters for my 8.3 Cummins however every single service tec I have talked to pre fill the filters and that's what I do being very carefull not to get any dirt in them. The one time I tried changing them without prefilling was a nightmare and I thought I was going have to get it towed.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Nplenzick,

I don't carry an Onan Generator filter but I may just get one just in case a local shop cant find the right filter. For the most part, I let Cummins/Onan do the service and filter changes on the gen set.

I do carry an extra Aqua-Hot filter as that one clogged too, just not as fast as the fuel filters did. It shut my Aqua-Hot down the day before I stopped to have new filters installed at the truck shop.

I figured that I can go without the generator until the filter gets changed as it's a bear to get to, so let the Onan service people take care of that one, however, I would rather not do without heat and hot water. I am not one for cold showers.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Isn't the ATC light for the Automatic Traction Control? What would that have to do with fuel?
Me to, Automatic Traction Control. Thats wierd, I would of never associated the ATC switch with a fuel delivery issue. You learn somthing new everyday.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Me to, Automatic Traction Control. That's weird, I would of never associated the ATC switch with a fuel delivery issue. You learn something new everyday.
Actually, it had nothing to do with the ATC switch. During the many miles of my driving with the problematic engine response, the ATC dash light would flicker on then off. I do have an ATC switch on my control panel and that basically did nothing when turning it on then off. Haven't read up on what it is supposed to do but will leave that for my leisure time.

I had the same thoughts as you when I read the posting in regards to changing out the fuel filters, what the hell does the ATC have to do with fuel delivery and clogged fuel filters, but after some 1800 miles of lousy engine response and the blasted ATC dash light coming on and off, I was willing to try anything.

I guess it has something to do with the high tech computer systems that are on board detecting engine response along in conjunction with the drive-train results.

You learn something new everyday. If a day goes by where I haven't, then I must have died.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Richard,

From my understanding of ATC (Automatic Traction Control) like on DW's Pilot, ATC is selected when driving on icy or slippery roads. It locks the transmission in a higher gear so when you accelerate your tires dont slip as easy.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Del, that is not exactly correct on the EATON ABS/ATC system used on 2002 and later MHs. The ATC is actually part of the ABS system and is on all the time unless the switch is turned off and there is no reason for the switch to ever be turned off. If the ATC system detects a wheel losing traction via the ABS rotational wheel sensors then the ATC system will throttle back the motor until traction is regained. It does not have anything to do with locking the transmission in a high gear. If below 25 MPH then the ATC does apply brakes to the wheel that is spinning to transfer power to the wheel that is not spinning.

This is from the Eaton ABS/ATC Manual:

The ATC system improves traction on slippery or unstable surfaces
by preventing excessive wheel slip. During periods of wheel
slippage, the ECU enters an automatic traction control mode.

There are various modes of ATC operations:
. Speed above 25 mph. The engine is throttled back to control
rear wheel slip.
. Speed below 25 mph. The engine is throttled back and
drive axle brake controls are activated to control wheel
slip. If the brake control activates, it remains active
regardless of road speed.

This attached document covers both the ABS and ATC systems.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf abs_atc_system.pdf (145.1 KB, 175 views)
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mike for clearing that up.
I have never turned mine on because it was delivered to me brand new with it turned off. It was explained to me by the dealer that it is used in wet or icy conditions but since it has nothing to do with locking the transmission I will turn it on.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Del, that is correct the ATC is designed to be left on at all times. The diesel motor has so much torque that it is possible to have one side of the drive wheels to be on something a little slick such as gravel, sand, or water and spin at start off and worse of all grab and it will tear up the differential gears or twist an axle. If it comes on while driving at highway speed then something big is happening and hopefully it can help in keeping the MH straight and pray that Sulley is your copilot. Scares me to even think of losing control at highway speeds.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #26

I have recently joined the blinking ATC light club.
There seems quite few in the club and I would like to see us get a hat or shirt so we can recognize each other.
I propose our slogan reads:
UNWILLING MEMBER OF THE “BLINK-A-T BLANK” ATC LIGHT CLUB.
It didn’t take long to find the club members via this forum, but there are several questions not asked or answered about the ATC blinking light.
After reading most, if not all, of the threads dealing with the ATC system and fuel filter issues, it is clear there is evidence that the ATC system is being triggered by a fuel filter issue.
Whether that evidence is circumstantial or direct evidence is arguable and three lawyers would likely give five or six different opinions on the question.
Clearly there is evidence plus cause & effect - that’s good enough for me.
The ATC system is sensing a fuel filter problem and that to me screams
DESIGN FLAW !!!
The question no one has asked is: when the ATC light is blinking, is the system trying to control a “PERCEIVED BUT NON-EXISTING” wheel slipping event?
I have to assume that if the ATC warning light comes on, then the traction control system is functional and working hard to control a non-existing wheel slipping event.
If this is true then the ATC system is messing with my throttle control and at times applying my brakes.
That means the ATC system is wasting my fuel and wearing out my brakes, all because it has a Design Flaw?
WHAT SAY THE OTHER UNWILLING CLUB MEMBERS?
bobrw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #27

When my ATC light comes on because of clogged fuel filters I do not notice any brake or traction control applications. It's simply the computer sensing not enough fuel going to the motor. It a least gives me in most cases several hundred miles notice that I need to change my filters.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I second Nplenzick's post.

I would not want them to change this "Design Flaw", I look at it as an added feature/benefit.

When this first happen to me, it was in British Columbia returning from Alaska. About 200-300 miles after having a bad tank of fuel pumped into my tank. The ATC light was the only symptom at first followed later with the engine hesitation on uphill grades.

Now that I have experienced it once, I am thankful that the ATC light will give me an early warning system to change my fuel filters.

I now carry a full set of filters, two engine fuel and one Aqua-Hot.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.