Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ATC & warning light

I am asking this question for my RV buddy who does not have internet He is parked next to me at Tunica. He has a Monaco Dip w/ Cummins and Allison tanny. His ATC and warning light comes on. I think the warning light is low rad. fluid, so added some. He has called a repair service about the ATC light and not been able to get some good advice. Any help from our great menbers would help him out. Thanks
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #2

When I start my MH the ATC light always comes on and stays on until either I touch the brake pedal or a get up to around 18 mph. My manual says that is 100% normal for that.

Does his light go out when he taps the brake pedal?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Strange one, but when was he last time his fuel filters were changed. I had a similar issue, then eventually loosing power. Changed the fuel filters, power back and no more ATC light coming on.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I second what LabRat has stated.

I was saddled with a bad tank of fuel from a small fuel stop in the Yukon last fall. Drove over 1500 miles with ATC light flicker and poor engine performance on uphill grades. Thought it was an ATC control module problem until I read a post from someone that experienced the same symptoms as I did the year before, and their resolution was to change the fuel filters. I did that one day prior to arriving at our final destination and it solved the problem. ATC light quit flickering on and the engine ran normal.

Now I carry a spare set of fuel filters and one gallon of diesel to change out the fuel filters myself if it ever happens again when in any remote areas that I travel.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #5

You did not really state if this is happening while he is parked, on start up, or driving down the road. On start up mine comes on until I shift into gear. If he is driving down the road and the ATC comes on intermittently or when under power, then it usually means you need new fuel filters.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
His warning lights come on while he is on the road. At startup, they do their self check and then go off. He also said that he has changed out the fuel filter. I don't know if he has two fuel filters. I said that if he got a full tank of dirty fuel, he might have to change out the filters again.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #7

Generally there are 2 fuel filters. Have him search for the other one. I have a HR Endeavor with a cummins. I have one filter on the passenger side up by the motor, that is accessed by crawling under the MH. The other one is located in the bay with the air dryer on the drivers side behind the rear wheels. Have him check his manuals.

This sounds like a filter problem.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all that have replyed. As stated, he thinks that he has only one filter. I will have him check for the other one. Merry Christmas to all. And to all, a good night.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #9

I'm the guy who posted the original posting about fuel filters clogging and the ATC light coming on. If his ATC light starting coming every now and then like when climbing hills and then go off when you get to the only to start coming back on when applying the accelerator again. It's a pretty good chance he's got a fuel delivery problem. The computer for the engine see's a reduction in fuel delivery just like it does when you actually use the ATC like when your stuck on a slippery surface thus the ATC light comes on.
On my coach I might get a flash on my light under heavy acceleration and over the course of a few hundred to a thousand miles the light will stay on for longer and longer period of time until finally it stays on all the time and you really start losing power. A change of both fuel filters and I'm good to go.
Like others here suggested have him look real good for another filter I suspect there's one there somewhere.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I am asking this question for my RV buddy who does not have internet He is parked next to me at Tunica. He has a Monaco Dip w/ Cummins and Allison tanny. His ATC and warning light comes on. I think the warning light is low rad. fluid, so added some. He has called a repair service about the ATC light and not been able to get some good advice. Any help from our great menbers would help him out. Thanks
You don't mention what model year his Dip is. Ours is a 2006 and it has two filters and the ISL engine. The filter in the bay with the air dryer is easy to find but the second filter is not. Have him open the engine doors and look down low on the curb side where the hydraulic oil filter is. Down below he should see the second filter. He will have to go under the coach to change the filter.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
His manual shows only one filter on his '02. He said that he will loof for the second fliter when he gets home (appox 200 miles) Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #12
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Isn't the ATC light for the Automatic Traction Control? What would that have to do with fuel?
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I'm sure others will chime in here, but my assumption is that the ATC sensor 'sees' a drop in fuel pressure/flow from a clogged filter as a drop in power to the wheels and thinks it's a situation where the ATC should kick in.

I thought it was weird as well, until it happened to us a few months back. We purchased a new-to-us coach that was a repo unit, so there was little service history that came with it. We were climbing the hills of the PA turnpike trying to make the OH line and the coach was just crawling along. I remember the thread here and first drained the filters because I thought I might have picked up some water. Well when I drained them, power came back, but not for long. We limped along until I was able to swap out both filters and WOW, it was like a new coach. No ATC light and had more power than when we bought it.

Check out this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/clog...ems-61646.html
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I want to thank all that have replyed. My buddy now has found the second fuel filter. He has never changed it out in over 40K miles. He has only changed out one. I am sure that this change out will solve his problems. He said that he will call me after the change out. Again THANKS!!!