Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #1

Automatic Awnings

Please help me with my decision on an automatic awing for my 45' Signature. Brand, cost, install etc.
davidalborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #2

Hi and welcome to the forum. My 2004 Signature uses a Girard automatic awning and I am very happy with it. Your Signature did not come with an awning? What year is your Signature? If you want I can send you pictures of my awning installation if you send me an email to mike.c@mindspring.com.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #3

awning

I have a question re: awning. I recently just purchased a Kodiak Dutchman travel trailer and the awning motor died. I was wondering what I would have done if that had happened when the awning was out and was away camping? Is there a manual override? There is nothing in the manual that was given to us with the purchase of the trailer that indicates any solution. Any advice would be helpful.
Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #4

I have a long crank handle that is in one of my storage compartments that I can fit into a slot and the end of the awning and crank it back in. It took my some time to figure out what that crank handle was for. Do you have anything like that laying around?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
My experience with the automatic awing is not favorable. One, if the awning opens over a slide you get very little shade because the awning sticks straight out. No drop to enhance shade. two, many of them fail to close during wind storms. I would not trust it to close on it's own. Third, if the awings does not tilt to drain water you will come home to an awning full of water of worse an awning on the ground. Manual would be my choice !!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #6

There is a specific procedure for adjusting the right amount of down tilt so water does not collect in them. I have never had a problem. Also mine does not open over a slide and if it did I would question the installation because then you could not get enough down tilt on it so it would collect water. Maybe that was your problem. The only problem I have is that mine tends to close up too soon in wind. It could be that I am not estimation 20-22 mph of wind correctly or it needs adjusting. I had a manual one on my last MH and I love my automatic one. Never want a manual one again.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
It seems, depending on manufacturer, that the technology or the implementation of the technology is not quite ready for prime time. Problems exist with the extension and retraction of the awning and the wind sensor. Choose wisely.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #8

I am just scared to adjust the wind speed adjustment without measuring the force of the wind. I have a friend that has a Kestral handheld device that can measure wind speed so I can sit on the roof on a windy day with a beer and adjust it. The problem with a manual awning is setting up and anchoring it then a storm comes and you have to quickly un anchor it or if you are away then it will get wrapped around the MH.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mike, I agree. Putting the awning away every night, especially when in an unpredictable weather area, is a pain. A bigger motor and a more reliable wind sensor will make a marginal feature very valuable.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Mike, the "problem" is the opening of the awning over the slide. I have seen automatic awings where there is no slide involved and you do get a good tilt or slope so water is not an issue. You also get better shade. The awnings that open over the top of a front slide usually go straight out with little or no slope. The awning is "supposed" to slope to the side when water begins to accumulate on the fabric but for what ever reason mine does not drop. I can pull it down about 3-4 inches by hand but then I have lost the so called automatic feature. I agree that the automatic awing is the way to go if you do not have a slide under it.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Slick,
I have seen the problem you describe and in my opinion is a result of the vertical support arms that are attached to the coach are not long enough which prevents the front of the awning from going lower. My awning is over a slide and when extended provides plenty of shade and angle.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Electric Awnings

I went to an awning seminar a few years ago. Mainly because I had just gotten a new rv with an electric awning. (Carefree). Putting asside all of the technical jargon and maintenance, the presenter ended the seminar like this; "No matter what kind of an awning you have, if you plan on going out someplace, put it up. It'll never get harmed that way!" I have taken that advice.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
RJay, I think it may also be the difference in a Newmar and a Winnebago Journey. Newmar probably invested a little more.