Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #1

Aux air compressor location - 06 HR Imperial

Where would the aux Air Compressor be located on a 2006 HR Imperial 42PDQ? And-the 15 amp fuse stated in the HWH owners manual; would it be visible near the air compressor or is it somewhere else and if so, where? My compressor never comes on and I need to start finding the cause. thanks!
curtismb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #2

Mine is on a mount in front of the rear axle. I can see it if I look in from the front of the tire. I have a 2005 safari panther
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #3

Some are located on the right side in front of the drive axle and some are located upfront behind the steer axle. I would suspect yours is in front of the drive axle. I do not have a fuse back there on mine. The major problem is that air compressor sits out and gets covered with road dust and grit. I ended up having to replace my compressor and found one on ebay. I built a metal box to put around mine. The compressor will only come on if the air tanks are below 80 psi and it receives an up command on the leveling system.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Where would it be in my 01 Dynasty? What does it look like?

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
How did you maintain air flow enclosing the compressor assembly? I've been thinking about some way to keep the open frame Thomas compressor motor from getting destroyed again by dust. The PO put a new Thomas compressor in last year at considerable expense. If you took pictures of your box that would be helpful.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #6

I used galvanized sheet metal and had a HVAC duct company build it. I have holes in the bottom for ventilation and water drain and it is open on the top. There are four bolts that mount the compressor platform in the cage/frame. I extended the length of those bolts so the go through the bottom of the box and hold it on. As soon as some of that snow we had last night melts I will go and take some pictures of it. I wasn't too worried about airflow. These compressors are also used in dental offices where there is no air flow. For the MH they only come on when you are stationary and have been sitting for some time. When I took the old failed compressor apart it was full of fine dust that had hardened that I guess was splashed up by the drive tires.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #7

Here is some data on the air compressor I found
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thomas Air Compressor.pdf (1.24 MB, 151 views)
Old 11-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #8

Thanks, everyone! I did find that my aux compressor is located in front of the right drive axle. Now; I'll start the trouble-shooting. Won't be surprised that compressor is bad due to dirt. It certainly is exposed and the concept of building a box around it sounds most worthy. regarding Mike's Thomas compressor; does it attach quite simply to the items attached to original coach lines, etc?
curtismb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #9

Yes, it is simple to remove. There is one power source plug and one airline and four bolts for the spring mount. Do you have the schematic for the unit. Pretty easy to troubleshot. Got a pressure switch and s solenoid and the compressor.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #10

When Monaco manufactured your coach they left the air filter attached to the compressor exposed to the environment: water, dirt, sand, mud, etc. the filter worked for as long as it reasonably could but eventually all those contaminants made it into the compressor. Needless to say what the end result became. When you replace your compressor relocate the filter into a cargo bay away from the environment. Replace the pressure switch too as it is full of water and will go out next.
RayJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
On my Thomas compressor there is only a felt filter on the side of the compressor. Is there a way to extend the inlet via a flex tube etc and remote the filter? That still does not address the open frame motor being contaminated by dusty driveways.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #12

It was the motor section of my compressor that filled up with fine grit. Since the compressor doesn't run while going down the highway my felt filter never blocked up. Here are some pictures of the galvanized tin box I had made. Like I said before it slips over everything from the bottom and I extended the four bolts that stick down from the bottom of the compressor so they go through the box to hold it on. Will show another picture in next post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	78422  
Old 11-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #13

Here is another view. I drilled both water drain holes on the bottom and vent holes on the sides
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	78424  
Old 11-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Mike. From my measurements I think the sheet metal box should be about 10.25" x 10.25" x maybe 8" tall. What size is yours?

Tags
compressor, cat