Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Auxiliary leveling air compressor cycling

Not sure if I described that correctly in the title. We are sitting at our site in the campground. I leveled the coach with the HWH Air Leveling System. I have the dual Air/Hydraulic system option. Every 20 to 30 minutes there is a small compressor near the back axle that cycles ON for about 30 seconds. It does this whether I turned the power OFF on the Leveling System or not. It also does it if I level the coach with hydraulic instead. I think it does it a less often if I hydraulic level the coach. It is annoying since it is right under the bedroom area. Any thoughts? Lack of sleep is starting to affect me
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
You can run a wire for a switch to shut it off when not needed.
Its my understanding they work that way, makes no sense to have it be active all the time.
I noticed the same thing on my A/C and my compressor is in the front left, right under the drivers seat.
I ran a couple wires into the cockpit and used a spare empty knockout in the switch panel. I added a factory style switch I found on Amazon that had compressor written on it works and looks Great!
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My 07 did the same thing. The air compressor used on the 07 is loud, especially at 2am.

You have an air leak, or more likely several air leaks in the mass of air suspension lines. I spent some time under the coach with a spray bottle of mixed dish soap and water finding them. Most were easy to fix, some are more work. They are small black plastic hoses that just push into the air fittings and seal with an oring. If you relieve the air pressure, they pull right out. Usually you can clean the hose and cut 1/4" off and reinsert it. On some I had to replace the fitting. I bought lots of straight and 90 degree air hose fittings to replace the old ones.

With some effort, the air pump would only run once every few days (usually when the temperature drops).
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks Guys. Looks like I'll spend a little time under the it when I get to a site with less lumpy gravel or concrete. Maybe I'll just put a switch in the line or find it's fuse? Rear run box maybe? A guys gotta sleep!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have only air leveling on my CC, they mounted the pump in the electrical bay in front of the drivers side front wheel, about as far away from the bedroom as possible. I dom't think I've ever heard it run even sitting up front. Yes, they are set to run if the leveling sensors detect an out of level condition.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I agree air is leaking down to trigger the compressor to start.
On mine it isn't re leveling or in need of more air due to the leak. My coach will hold its air level setting for many many days without going off level.
It appears to be just the compressor kicking in a couple times a day to hold the pressure switch closed. Not affecting the levelness of the coach.
Next time I grease the chassis I will check air connections. For now I like my switch just turn it off.
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstra View Post
Not sure if I described that correctly in the title. We are sitting at our site in the campground. I leveled the coach with the HWH Air Leveling System. I have the dual Air/Hydraulic system option. Every 20 to 30 minutes there is a small compressor near the back axle that cycles ON for about 30 seconds. It does this whether I turned the power OFF on the Leveling System or not. It also does it if I level the coach with hydraulic instead. I think it does it a less often if I hydraulic level the coach. It is annoying since it is right under the bedroom area. Any thoughts? Lack of sleep is starting to affect me

It will cycle even with the system off. It’s cycled to 12v hot. So you would need to turn off battery cut-offs.
Two things: wire a switch into system as previously suggested or adjust the time or interval. It’s in the manual. I think every 8 hours is the max.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstra View Post
Did this just start doing it? You may have a leak, but Monaco plumbed many coaches wrong and the symptoms are exactly what you are describing.

Basically they put a check valve between the air switch and the tank. The check valve should isolate the compressor only.

If you post a few pictures showing your compressor output and the line leading to the air tank, it's easy to identify and see if that's your problem.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
It will cycle even with the system off. It’s cycled to 12v hot. So you would need to turn off battery cut-offs.
Two things: wire a switch into system as previously suggested or adjust the time or interval. It’s in the manual. I think every 8 hours is the max.
Perry,

I know you had a bad air switch in QZ, but if we only replaced your switch and didn't re-plumb your system, I think you would be having the same issue as OP.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Perry,

I know you had a bad air switch in QZ, but if we only replaced your switch and didn't re-plumb your system, I think you would be having the same issue as OP.

No the Captjake1 replumbed and I believe can be the resident expert now! He did 2-4 coaches at QZ. Every time I saw John he was dusty!🤣
Old 02-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Look in the left front corner outside compartment. That’s where my fuse/circuit breaker was. I pulled it out as I didn’t like the noisy compressor either. My coach will remain aired for months without needing any air. When it does finally seep off enough, I just put the fuse/ cb back in and let it build the air up and then relevel. Remove the fuse again until next time it’s needed. Simple fix.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Same thing happened to me. I pulled the fuse in the front run bay. Located on my coach outside and below the drivers seat. Once the leak was fixed I put the fuse back in.

When I had the leak I would air up the coach with the engine, level the coach then turn off the leveling system at the key pad. The coach would stay level for weeks.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:11 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Question...
Do you have the Thomas Compressor?
If so check the "pop off" valve (pressure un-loader valve) on the compressor.. they do go bad and will leak.. (btw it is rather expensive for what it is)
Also if you have the "bladder type" HWH slide seals, when they develop a leak will do the same thing.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:16 AM   #14

Monaco installed a ton of these wrong with the check valve near the air tank instead of at the compressor, so if the pressure in the line went down the compressor would start. Our coach was wrong. Also the fuse is in the front run bay, high on the right side looking in, it is a self resetting fuse so looks kind of like a gold rectangle. I fought the placement of the compressor in all the road dirt and finally moved it inside the basement where our Aqua-Hot is located, there was enough room and was an easy fix. Now it operates like it should. Your description sounds more like you have the Valid leveling system like we have, and in that system the power to the compressor is always on. If the check valve is the right place and the pressure switch is good then the compressor will run when the coach needs air to level. When set on auto it will keep lowering the coach to remain level every couple of hours or however you have yours set, but if it finally needs to raise a corner to level, it will cause the compressor to come on. Ours will come on once every day or so.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor, leveling