Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

Axle and brake identification

I wheel a 2002 Monaco Knight 30 pbd. I rides and handles fine but would like to find a better set of brake pads hydraulic disk on all four corners not air.
The front axle is a FSW - 1200 And the caliper is a WFI 4153306 There
a 1291 also on the caliper you have to hold the brake down more then you want to keep it from moving at a stop the pac brake works really well no problem there would be nice to have them grab a little better and the disk have some minor spider cracking 43000 mi so far on the rig

Thanks for your help its always appreciated
buxtonworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

A major maintenance item most people forget about hydraulic brakes is, flushing and replacing the brake fluid per the mfgrs. maintenance schedule. Old contaminated brake fluid results in substandard braking.
Hairline cracks and minor checking on pads is normal, and is the result of heat generated when braking.
Another item that results in substandard braking is wheel caliper units becoming corroded from brake fluid contaminated with water. Brake fluid has an affinity to attract and absorb water when exposed to air. What I'm saying is, brake fluid that is 14 years old will not perform nearly as well as new fluid, and it can ruin every other component of the braking system that is exposed to the stuff.
If the vehicle has a hydro-boost system, that too can be ruined = $$$$.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #3

Pretty sage advice stated above.

As stated brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs moisture and that includes the humidity in the air over time.

As the percentage of moisture in the brake fluid increases over time that moisture lowers the boiling point of your brake fluid and also causes corrosion issues thus degrading the effectiveness of your braking and contribute to things like brake fade under severe braking situations.

The reasons you hear more today about brake fluid flushing and that we are made more aware of this type of maintenance nowadays is that as stated …the cost of braking components used in today cars and trucks such as ABS and ATC and hydraulic control units that cost thousands of dollars to replace them is one of many reason manufacturers recommend service intervals for changing the fluid along with safety, warranty costs.

These motor coaches use very low gearing and high torque engines at low rpm’s for them to accelerate at a decent rate from a dead stop due to their weight.

The original poster doesn’t state gas? Or Diesel? engine ….But with my 500hp ISM Cummins you have to press the brake pedal firmly to hold her at a traffic light at idle due to the engine torque.

High-quality brake pads for your application along with a mirror like rotor finish with the proper run-out and RTV (rotor thickness variation = Brake pedal pulse ) should give you quality braking under normal circumstances.

Happy Hunting
Old 10-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Axle brakeidentification

Its a 5.9 diesel 300 hp at 30 ft long its plenty o motor setting in traffic is where I think it would be nice to have a little less effort to hold it back last time we were out I was just putting it in neutral But you guys are right Ill change out fluid and lube up calipers Thanks for the help any Idea on what axle or type of disk ???
Old 10-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #5

If you haven't needed to do any hard stops lately, you may want to do a few, on an open part of an empty highway.

I forget the exact procedure but it burnishs the pads and rotors. It may help.

Do it after the fluid flush, you don't want a no brake situation poping up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxtonworks View Post
Its a 5.9 diesel 300 hp at 30 ft long its plenty o motor setting in traffic is where I think it would be nice to have a little less effort to hold it back last time we were out I was just putting it in neutral But you guys are right Ill change out fluid and lube up calipers Thanks for the help any Idea on what axle or type of disk ???

buxtonworks............If you contact Monoco per their website and request a data card for your specific coach and give them the serial# of your coach and vin # they will send you a data card via e-mail and has all the " as built data" from the type of TV's it was built with to the axle information ..... and it's free.....

Thanks Monoco.

Happy Hunting
Old 10-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #7

Axle brakeidentification

Thanks Ill do just that, its just more info I would like to know this was a 1 owner rig and there plenty of left over factory repair info in the rig looks like
he had all the warenty and recalls done .

Tags
brake, cat