Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Back Flow Preventer

Our 07, Camelot has a water hose reel -- When the pump is on, it pressurize the water hose, & when unhooking from the shore water bib, water sprays, & almost drains the water lines -- Had to use a plug at the end of the hose, & it had to be tight, or you would have a leak -- I removed the panel & added a backflow preventer - This solved that problem -- I also installed a shutoff valve for the low point drain -- Last year I removed the plastic panel, & replaced it with one made of stainless steel, so it was not a big deal removing the panel for this mod -- Amazing Bill Willard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backflow 001.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	12940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backflow 002.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	12941  

William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #2

Bill,

Could you post a pic of your panel. I am getting ready to make a new one for mine. Get rid of that plastic pain in the butt. Going with anodized aluminum. Don't know about labeling though.

Thanks

Carl

Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Good job, Bill. And "Amazing" is right! Monaco would not recognize that Camelot with all of the improvements you have made.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bill:
Did you have to cut the plastic panel to get it out. I've tried two times and see no way of removing it without cutting it in half. I would be very interested in seeing your stainless panel mod.
Thanks Bill,
Mike

Mike & Steffi, 2008 Camelot 36 PDQ
2006 Jeep GC
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It`s diffcult to take a decent picture of the panel, because it has a mirror finish -- I cut the plastic panel all to he_ _ to remove it -- Went to Lowe`s, & got a 4x8 sheet of thin luan paneling to make a template, in which I made many before getting one with the best layout for me -- A template is nessary, because you only have one chance when cutting the metal -- I purchased a 48x24 inch piece of stainless, & used a Roto Zip with a metal cutting wheel -- I used stainless, because it`s very flexable without putting a crimp in the metal, but rigid enough for the panel -- I used 2" aluminum angle for backers, one on top, & one the bottom -- The panel has 4 screws on top & 4 on the bottom -- I used blue painters tape to label the wires -- Gotta label them, because there`s a buuunch of wires behind there -- I eliminated the outside shower, which I never used, but added a male hose fitting on the low point drain line under the bay, so now I can hook a hose on it & the black tank rinse connection & rinse the tank with hot water, since I have the Aqua Hot with continuous hot water -- The measure is 42 1/2 inches wide, with a 2", 90o bend on each end, simular to the plastic orginal, & 24" high -- Just get plenty of metal cutting wheels, & cobalt bits -- Bill Willard
Old 08-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forgot the picture --
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Panel 002.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	12965  
Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bill:
WOW!!!!
What a beautiful job. A new place to look in the mirror and comb your hair too.
I'm going to add it to my list.
Thanks for sharing.
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #8

Looks nice. I have a waterjet at work I can use to cut mine out. That will save time. Just have to lay everything out first. Also getting rid of the shower setup and going for a hose bib.

Hopefully soon. Working on generator project first.

Carl
Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Our 07, Camelot has a water hose reel -- When the pump is on, it pressurize the water hose, & when unhooking from the shore water bib, water sprays, & almost drains the water lines -- Had to use a plug at the end of the hose, & it had to be tight, or you would have a leak -- I removed the panel & added a backflow preventer - This solved that problem -- I also installed a shutoff valve for the low point drain -- Last year I removed the plastic panel, & replaced it with one made of stainless steel, so it was not a big deal removing the panel for this mod -- Amazing Bill Willard

We have a Monaco Knight and water sprays out sometimes, we need to also put in another backflow preventer. Where did you pick up your preventer and how did you cut the hose? I enjoy your posts. Thanks Anita
Traveler123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased the backflow preventer on ebay -- I had the connectors left over from other projects, but you can get them at Lowe`s -- They also have the Pex tubing, & crimp rings -- The Pex water line is a hard plastic, & can be cut with a utility knife, but I use cutter in the photo, something that I use for many other things -- If you have trouble getting the barb fitting on the line, you can use a hair dryer to heat the tubing, & will soften a bit, so you can slip it on -- Use caution doing this, & don`t over heat -- In place of crimp rings, you can use a good hose clamp -- Bill Willard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Backflow Preventer 001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	13298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backflow Preventer 002.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	13299  

Name:	Backflow Preventer 003.jpg