Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #1

Good morning,
Just returned from a one week stay at Topsail State preserve in Florida and thought I would post a few observations.
Got out of town just before the series of mild earthquakes. We were in Alabama when we found out that there was a 5.2 that had occurred at home. The area has had quite a few aftershocks with a few in the high 4 and 3 range over the last week. Didn't find any damage upon our return so glad we missed all that.
The weather was fantastic in Florida. Rain during the night one night but clear blue skys the whole time with day time temps in the low 80's and night time low's in around 60.
Crowds were non existent. Caught it just right in that most of the spring breakers were gone and the snowbirds had headed back North.
Topsail is in the midst of some construction. Adding a new road and some tent sites which had been non existent. The campground itself is still one of the best in the country and the park staff maintains it very well.
Paid between 3.99 to 4.05 for diesel but saw it as high as 4.29. The trucks are slowing down some to conserve fuel but not all of them. I did drive slower on the way down(62-64) because I wasn't in a hurry but a little faster on the way back (66-69). Funny thing was my mileage went up to 8.7 on the way back. Did have a tail wind the whole way home though.
Saw lots of motorhomes on the way but curiously most weren't pulling anything.
The motorhome performed well and the ride was quieter inside because of the new lcd install so I was happy about that.
Every trip reaffirms to me why I love this lifestyle and looking forward to more prolonged trips in retirement.
Letsgoagain
Letsgogain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #2

Good morning,
Just returned from a one week stay at Topsail State preserve in Florida and thought I would post a few observations.
Got out of town just before the series of mild earthquakes. We were in Alabama when we found out that there was a 5.2 that had occurred at home. The area has had quite a few aftershocks with a few in the high 4 and 3 range over the last week. Didn't find any damage upon our return so glad we missed all that.
The weather was fantastic in Florida. Rain during the night one night but clear blue skys the whole time with day time temps in the low 80's and night time low's in around 60.
Crowds were non existent. Caught it just right in that most of the spring breakers were gone and the snowbirds had headed back North.
Topsail is in the midst of some construction. Adding a new road and some tent sites which had been non existent. The campground itself is still one of the best in the country and the park staff maintains it very well.
Paid between 3.99 to 4.05 for diesel but saw it as high as 4.29. The trucks are slowing down some to conserve fuel but not all of them. I did drive slower on the way down(62-64) because I wasn't in a hurry but a little faster on the way back (66-69). Funny thing was my mileage went up to 8.7 on the way back. Did have a tail wind the whole way home though.
Saw lots of motorhomes on the way but curiously most weren't pulling anything.
The motorhome performed well and the ride was quieter inside because of the new lcd install so I was happy about that.
Every trip reaffirms to me why I love this lifestyle and looking forward to more prolonged trips in retirement.
Letsgoagain
Letsgogain
Old 04-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Dang Lestgoagain, we were there and could have met. We got there last Sunday and left this morning. We were in site 133. Which site were you in?

The snakes were very active this year and the rangers had to come down and remove a cotton mouth from our site. The wife had the wooleys after that.

If you saw someone walking two Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers it was us.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Letsgoagain;
We were north of Indianapolis during the earthquake and it woke us from a sound sleep. I thought from the rumbling sound that a group of trucks were passing when I first woke. The vibrations we felt were very very rapid and seemed to last a while, but it was probably only a few seconds. No one reported any damage around us, but we stayed glued to the TV to hear more news.
We were already on the road during the aftershocks and never felt anything.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #5

nodine,
We were on several sites. Had to move a couple of times but we were on 116 from Monday until we left Friday morning.
We had the green and white ambassador with the dark green liberty.
It would have been nice to have met you.
I heard about the cotton mouth. I think that was on Thursday wasn't it? I know my wife really didn't want to sit outside that evening after we found out about it. Kind of made me think twice about going outside to dump the tanks or something myself.
I can't really recall if I saw you walking your pets but I surely must have because I saw a lot of people doing just that.
I see your from Knoxville. The Smokies are one of my favorite destinations. I love to hike and it doesn't get any better for me. Lots of good memories there.
Letsgoagain
Old 04-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #6

BudtheDiplomat,
Yeah from what I gather it shook pretty good a couple of times. Have a close friend that had an incoming gas line shake enough that it started to leak. She had to have it repaired but thank God she found it before it caused an explosion or fire.
There have been about 28 after shocks I believe. Some have been noticeable and others not but they say we'll probably have them for a while.
Letsgoagain
Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Letsgoagain:
.. I heard about the cotton mouth. I think that was on Thursday wasn't it? .......
... Letsgoagain </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it was Thursday. The wife saw it crawl down beside the campsite and said she thought is was poison by the shape of its head. We called the rangers and they confirmed it was very dangerous and removed it. We learned later that the pygmy rattlers were being driven into the campground by the construction. After Thursday we were very concerned when walking the dogs.

Here is a picture of our Wheatons:

Bob
Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We had the green and white ambassador with the dark green liberty.
It would have been nice to have met you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK...this is the reason why I proudly display my iRV2 sticker in my front windshield!
It was even part of the "Holiday decorations"!

Come on everyone...How else will others know you are part of this great forum!

MM

PS...Nodine...love the photo of the Wheatons

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our sticker is usually in the front, usually on the driver's side. They are free for the asking on the home page of this great website. FREE iRV2 STICKER I just received 2 after finally joining. Mic usually wears her's on her sleeve. While waiting on warranty work she's been giving lessons on how to get signed up and tutorials on how to post, search, navigate and post photos. (And how to create the blog you never knew you needed.)
FishBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ok,Ok, I'll sign up to get the stickers.

Thanks for the link FishBum, I just signed up.

Bob
Old 04-27-2008, 05:45 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ours is displayed on the ladder above the FMCA placard. See how irv2 rates with us? Thanks to Mom2mastiffs, Jeffrey. He made one and gave it to us. It works perfectly.
AKBrick
Old 04-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #12

Evening,
Just requested some irv2 stickers.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Come on everyone...How else will others know you are part of this great forum!

nodine, now that I see the pictures of your Wheatons I believe I remember seeing you carrying them on the road to the beach. Would that be correct? If so wouldn't they let you on the trolley? We were riding our bicycles back from the beach but you probably don't remember us since just about everyone there has bicycles.
Letsgoagain
Old 04-28-2008, 01:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I did walk them down to the beach and back one day. I did not carry them, female is 30 lbs and male is 47 lbs. I think that would be a bit much even for a straping young buck like me (62 in June). We did not try to get on the trolley because the dogs need the exercise, OK, me to. Yep, a whole lot of bicycles in the campground and on the road to the beach.

Bob
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Letsgoagain:
Evening,
Just requested some irv2 stickers.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Come on everyone...How else will others know you are part of this great forum!

nodine, now that I see the pictures of your Wheatons I believe I remember seeing you carrying them on the road to the beach. Would that be correct? If so wouldn't they let you on the trolley? We were riding our bicycles back from the beach but you probably don't remember us since just about everyone there has bicycles.
Letsgoagain </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #14

nodine,
I guess I didn't realize Wheatons were that big of a dog. That would be quite a load to carry.
I still think we must have seen you at some point and regret that we had a chance to meet some fellow irv2's but didn't connect.
On occasion I look for a irv2 sticker on other rv's but usually we're on the go sightseeing. Topsail is different though especially now that we've been there about 15 times. Usually we just do a lot of relaxing under the awning or at the beach.
Never know, in the future we might meet there or possibly in the smokies.
Best regards and happy trails.
Letsgoagain