Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

Back Spray at the Spigot

morning- happy thanksgiving to all. here's a question I hope is not too much of a puzzler. hooked up to a spigot in the last 2 parks that has a back flow preventer attached. my water system from the spigot is- whole house water filter, on the go water softener, up to a preset water pressure regulator. now that i'm set up, on a somewhat regular basis, the water will blow back thru the back flow preventer. any ideas on why that's happening?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #2

Good morning

The idea is to stop the contamination of the public water system from each uniit hooked up.

What your seeing in normal.

They dont want pressure from your plumbing backfeeding water that, ? Could be contaminated?.

So its a blow off pressure valve.

Thats the best way that I can describe it [emoji848]
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

As posted, the valve is to prevent back flow from rigs into the city system. If there was a sudden drop in city pressure, water would be siphoned back through the spigots into the city pipes. The valve prevents that. My guess is that what you are seeing is a result of your rig using water from the city system, then shutting off your faucets and the abrupt stopping of flow causes a slight surge in pressure in the line which is relieved through the valve.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

we are on park water. I do know the reason for the back flow preventer, but I guess I had not noticed this blowback before this past week. it does this whether we have a faucet on or not.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #5

Water on spigot side of that filter/softener/regulator is at a higher resistance then downstream of those items.
Occasionally that higher resistance results in just enough back-pressure to overcome the 'spring pressure' inside the backflow valve so it opens the ports to atmosphere....then resets

Might be an indication your filter is starting to get clogged
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Could also be someone else up or down the line turning on/off their water and causing a momentary pressure change on your line.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Another good idea that does not work well...backflow stops working like it should. I’d take it off while there and before the “Backflow Police’ chime in, put a good one on that you carry with you.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

I'm thinking he is talking about a small device installed by the park that screws
directly onto the faucet threads .
I have seen them at some parks
They have holes where the water can be exhausted rather than going into
the system.
Sometime they will spit a little when turning the water on or off .

I suspect Rusty is correct , someone in the park turns water on dropping the
pressure then the higher pressure in your coach is exhausted through the little holes
on the backflow preventer until the pressures equalize again .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #9

i'll buy that theory of others in the park are using the water causing a drop in pressure. the last 2 stops have been to busy campgrounds. just wanted to be sure it wasn't an internal problem. thanks all