RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

Backup camera dead, time for upgrade

My 2000 Executive has a Sony SSM-721AMR backup camera and the monitor is dying.
Can I hook up a new color camera and monitor with the existing wires.
Pulling those wires would be a job.
Help.

straycatboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

I had the same problem with my previous coach.. Sony no longer makes back up camera's. RV Cams in Baton Rouge are fantastic people to work with. They have adapters so you can use your Sony cable and hook up another unit.
Give them a call, you won't be disappointed

RV Cams: Sony Backup Camera Systems (and Parts)

LJowdy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can splice into the existing wiring as long as you have at least 4 wires in the bundle for a color camera. 3 wires are for the color signal (Red, Green, Blue) and 1 wire is for return or ground. You cannot ground through the chassis like normal electric power. If you have 5 wires available the last one is for the audio feed if so equipped. Just make sure you match color to color on each end. You can find equipment on the market that is just as good as Sony for a lot cheaper.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

I have 4 wires but they are , audio, 12v power, video and ground., per the Sony manual.
Does this mean I can't get color with these wires?
straycatboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:35 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
straycatboat-

No need to guess- Tim at RVCams will answer any question you have. He knew, for example, that I needed two cables to adapt our coach's camera to a Garmin RV 760LMT GPS, and that one of them should be (for reliability) an authentic Garmin cable.

As "LJowdy" said: "Give them a call, you won't be disappointed."
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #6

there are so many different standards for video.

the guy above, in describing the RGB system, was referring to component video.

Far more common is composite video, which only uses one shielded cable. The signals are all combined together. Black and white is just missing one of the frequency components, which take up more bandwidth. A color camera using composite video should work fine unless it's a really crappy cable, in which case the color will get distorted.

Wikipedia is your friend....
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

The backup camera in my 2009 Dynasty stopped displaying and then passenger camera quit displaying....long story short in that I tracked down the source of the problem to be the video controller. The video controller was located in the dashboard access panel right above the steering wheel and was easy to access and replace. Monaco has these controllers in stock for about $125.00.....much cheaper than replacing cameras.

While researching this problem I contacted various companies and was frequently told that I had to bring in the coach for them to "re-wire and install a different brand on controller"..... Was quite pleased to find that Monaco parts hathe exact controller I needed and it was ony $125.00 and EASY to install and all cameras work & display perfectly.

Hope this helps you with your problems.
Gary LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Before you go spend the time and hassle to replace the cam, make sure it's just not a corroded connection. My Weldex stopped working not long after I picked up my new to me rig. I was ready to replace it when I read on here that it could just be the connections. It turns out I had one long cable from the camera to the front, and once I identified the correct wire under the dash, I just had to plug and unplug it a few times and it worked great for about 6 months. Now I moved the wire so I just have to remove the top dash access cover (4 screws) and do the plug and unplug thing from there if it starts getting flaky. The connector doesn't look corroded, so I suspect the tension in the connector pins is lacking. Since it works for months at a time, I haven't taken the time to really troubleshoot the issue.

Good luck!

Walt

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #9

The Weldex in my Monaco didn't work when I got the coach. I took the connections loose front and rear and could not get it to work although the up/down of the camera and audio would work. I ordered the color monitor and camera from RV Cams and used the same cable from the b/w system. Works fine except for the static noise on the audio. I was told it needed a filter. I just keep the volume turned down.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
ATVresearch.com sells the same video products as RV Cams only a lot cheaper. Check them out...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #11

I believe that Rear View Safety has adaptors and systems you can use to solve this problem.....

Adapters - Backup Camera Accessories - Backup Camera Systems - Our Products

Let us know what you end up doing!

RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, upgrade