Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Backup Camera Replacement

Thinking about changing the backup camera system in our 06 HR. The old one is starting to give trouble, and a new color system would be nice. Has anyone ever installed one? Can you pull the new wires or do you have to run them underneath? What is a good brand? Tony
Tony in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #2

You should be able to use the existing wires and power source? Some of the new ones have audio also but from my perspective the audio is useless. I would not run a cable just for audio.

I have two rear view cameras and two monitors. One is focused on the towbar and toad while the other one has a 170 degree wide viewing window and it covers back to the horizon, one is wireless and I used the same camera power source as the wired unit does.

This combnation works great for me.

There are soooo many different options, hope someone can give you specifcs.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Talk to Tim at www.RVCams.com I found him to be very helpful. He will tell you if he can work with your current wiring and save you the trouble of snaking new wires.
He has been very helpful on my Voyager/Aladdin system and next spring I am going to switch the entire 3 camera system to color with the new monitor and hopefully not run a single new wire and I should be able to use my current (color matched) camera housings as well.

Good Luck
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #4

Our motorhome came with only the rear view camera and it was black and white. A couple years after we had the motorhome we just about ran someone off the road coming up on our right side. There lane ended as they were merging in. It was dark and raining and in all honesty I never saw him. He gave me a cussing for a while, yelling out his window. Can't say he didn't have some fault but why I'm telling you this. Its what lead me to decide on a color three camera system from rv cams. I believe it is the same place mentioned in one of the above posts. If you call them they will find out what you have and be able to send you all the cable, connectors or adapters you need. They were very helpful as I recall.
I did all the work myself. The scary part for me was when I removed the old back camera. Pulling on the wire and afraid it might disconnect from the long run to the front and fall back down in the back cap. Fortunately the connection held and it was a simple plug and play. Used the existing cable from the front to the back cap camera location.
I also had to drill a hole in each side in front to mount each side camera. That also was a little unnerving.
Finding the wires in the steering column and splicing into the specific turn signal wires for each side camera so the monitor switches to that specific side when you activate your turn signal was a little tedious but Holiday Rambler/ Monaco/Roadmaster labeled the wires although in such small print it made it kind of hard to read.
It took me several days to do the job. It was well worth it. I now have a color three camera system like most coaches have. They probably all come standard that way now but then they didn't as you know.
The side cameras really help me when changing lanes and its now second nature to check my mirrors and then the cameras before doing so.
One other thing, if you have an old black and white monitor then it will come out and a new probably 7 inch lcd flat monitor will take its place. You will have to cover the whole in the dash where the old monitor went and mount the new monitor in its place or cover the opening and place your new monitor someplace else. I struggled with how to cover the old opening but you may be able to go to a car audio shop and they can dress it up real nice. I opted to make my own cover and mount my new monitor on it.
Good luck with your install.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony in SC View Post
Thinking about changing the backup camera system in our 06 HR. The old one is starting to give trouble, and a new color system would be nice. Has anyone ever installed one? Can you pull the new wires or do you have to run them underneath? What is a good brand? Tony
Tony,

The easy part is pulling the cable underneath from back to front. There are some pipe chases underneath your coach that have cables run through them. Get a good 25 ft electrican's snake and push it from one end to the other and then tape the new cable to the snake. You can then pull the cable through the chase. Going from there up into the front cap and to the dash is usually not to hard. Just make sure you always stay clear of moving suspension parts and tie the cable down with ties.

The difficult part is getting up into the top rear cap. I left my old camera installed and use it for a hitch monitor. I was able to find a spot to drill a hole in the plywood floor of the rear cap cavity. That floor is just above the radiator. On our coach there is a section on the streetside where the oil fill is that offers good access to the bottom of the floor. I was able to pull the cable up from there into the cavity of the rear cap. To do that I had to remove the OEM camera and use that opening to work a wire up from the bottom and catch it. I then tied the cable to the wire and pulled it up. I mounted the new camera on top of the OEM camera housing. I drilled a hole in the OEM camera housing and installed a rubber groment for the new cable to exit to the exterior and connect to the new camera on top of the old camera bubble.

Good luck,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #6

Tony in SC

To explain a little better. At the rear camera there should be a section of video cable attached to the camera itself that is 4 or 5 feet long. There will be a connection at that point that connects to the cable that runs all the way to the front. You should be able to use that existing cable. No need to run a new cable the whole length. Just hook your new back camera with the attached short section of cable to the cable you disconnected the old one from.
Since your coach is newer by 2 years then ours then I would think that it would be the same on yours.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the help. Y'all have given me some ideas to work with. I'm hoping to use the same cable. All I have to do now it pick a system. Tony
Old 09-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If you have the Weldex system there have been issues with the quality of the cable going to the rear camera. Monaco replaced mine with the Voyager system back in 07. There were able to fish the new cable from the rear cable down the back near the oil dip stick. They ran a new cable under the coach and into the front area.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
If you have the Weldex system there have been issues with the quality of the cable going to the rear camera. Monaco replaced mine with the Voyager system back in 07. There were able to fish the new cable from the rear cable down the back near the oil dip stick. They ran a new cable under the coach and into the front area.
I just replaced the old Wedex B&W monitor and camera. Tim with Rvcams.com. worked with me and suggested using a Voyager 7" color monitor with a new Weldex color camera. The camera plugged right in to the existing Weldex cable. The Voyager color monitor pulled in to an adapter that had the Weld fitting on one end. It works perfectly. I would try that set up before re-running new cable.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I just replaced the old Wedex B&W monitor and camera. Tim with Rvcams.com. worked with me and suggested using a Voyager 7" color monitor with a new Weldex color camera. The camera plugged right in to the existing Weldex cable. The Voyager color monitor pulled in to an adapter that had the Weld fitting on one end. It works perfectly. I would try that set up before re-running new cable.
The Weldex is what I have. Sometimes it just goes out for a while(just when I need it!! Is the new camera motorized? Thanks Tony
Old 09-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The drop out is due to the cable. In general the camera is not getting 12 volts there is a voltage drop in the cable so the camera gets 10 to 11 volts. It gets worse when the cable gets hot. Unless the new camera will work on a lower voltage or does not draw as many amps as the old one the cable will continue to cause problems.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #12

Side cameras

I have the two side view cameras mounted on each side of the coach and they provide a real good view. Now I need to connect the trigger wire for each side view camera to the right and left turn indicator hot wire. Then when I when I turn on the right or left turn indicator the appropriate side view camera will power on and I can see what is coming up the side. There is a bundle of wired coming down the steering column and I am sure the correct wires are in this bundle. But how can I determine which is correct wire for the right and left turn indicator, Thanks.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I have the two side view cameras mounted on each side of the coach and they provide a real good view. Now I need to connect the trigger wire for each side view camera to the right and left turn indicator hot wire. Then when I when I turn on the right or left turn indicator the appropriate side view camera will power on and I can see what is coming up the side. There is a bundle of wired coming down the steering column and I am sure the correct wires are in this bundle. But how can I determine which is correct wire for the right and left turn indicator, Thanks.
Found the Freightliner wiring diagram and it says the Left turn signal is a light blue wire and the Right is a dark blue wire. I will check that tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
camera

maybe im not too bright but will wirelees cameras not work
hartb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, replace, replacement