Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Basement bay heater

I have a 2001 Monaco diplomat 38 DP. I'm heading up to New Orleans next week, where the temperature will go below freezing at night.
I've read threads about a temperature sensor that turns on the basement heat. I can't find it in the water bay. My owners manual says nothing except a pad sensor. I think they are saying the tank heating pads have there own sensors.
Does anyone know exactly how the storage heat works on the Monaco Diplomat.
Merry Christmas to all
Thanks
Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Go to your electrical panel in the coach and look for "System Heat". Turn it on and that's it. It will automatically turn on at 40 deg. in the bay and shut off at 55.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Rick
I have a have a 2001 Monaco diplomat 40 ft. There is a thermal switch down by the heater, on mine, you have a switch on the heater and a thermostat, that switch needs to be on along with the one in the motorhome. I put a wireless thermometer in that bay to keep an eye on it. If it doesn't work I have put light bulb in there, works great.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lued View Post
Rick
I have a have a 2001 Monaco diplomat 40 ft. There is a thermal switch down by the heater, on mine, you have a switch on the heater and a thermostat, that switch needs to be on along with the one in the motorhome. I put a wireless thermometer in that bay to keep an eye on it. If it doesn't work I have put light bulb in there, works great.

Mine works the same way. Good luck, Merry Christmas, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Merry Christmas and thank you for your assistance.
Is there a way to test the heating system in the Florida warmer weather?
I can't find the temperature sensor anywhere in the bay. What does it look like? Is it bolted anywhere?
Thanks
Rick
Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Merry Christmas
On mine it is 2"x2" black box next to the heater with wire coming out of it, lay a bag of ice on it and see if that works.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. I'll go out today and look for it. I really appreciate your time
Rick
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #8

Be sure you have water in both tanks before turning on the tank heating pads. There have been threads elsewhere on the subject and tanks have warped if the pads have been turned on when the tanks are empty.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ok. Thanks. But I couldn't get that far.
I pulled the plug from the bay heater. It has 12 volts on it weather the switch is on or off. The light in the switch isn't working.
The owners manual show a heater with a thermostat and an on/off switch. The heater I have is a model 3000 with no switches. I believe it has a built in thermostat. The third wire coming out seems to feed a relay when the heater turns on and powers the pads. I'm pretty good on wiring and that's how it looks to me.
I also found the 4 fuses for the system heat in the battery bay. I couldn't find any mention of them in my owners manual.
Anyone have a 2001 diplomat and knows if they are wired the same.
Thanks
Rick
Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Ok. Thanks. But I couldn't get that far.
I pulled the plug from the bay heater. It has 12 volts on it weather the switch is on or off. The light in the switch isn't working.
The owners manual show a heater with a thermostat and an on/off switch. The heater I have is a model 3000 with no switches. I believe it has a built in thermostat. The third wire coming out seems to feed a relay when the heater turns on and powers the pads. I'm pretty good on wiring and that's how it looks to me.
I also found the 4 fuses for the system heat in the battery bay. I couldn't find any mention of them in my owners manual.
Anyone have a 2001 diplomat and knows if they are wired the same.
Thanks
Rick
Rick,

Here is a wiring diagram that my be the same as your coach:
System_heat_wiring_diagram_2006_Diplomat - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

The snap disk thermostat on our coach is attached to the upper frame rail above the tanks. In our case it is very difficult to see or reach. Yours may be different. If you can locate it, either hold an ice cube to it or use freeze spray to get the temp down low enough to activate the system heat. Our coach only has the bay heater which is notorious for failure and poor reliability. Usually the heater fan will blow air but the element does not heat. The problem 90% of the time is the thermal fuse located inside the heater. There are several threads on repairing these, just search for bay heater in this forum.

The system heat lamps on the control panel quite often burn out. One of the lamps illuminates when you enable the system heat. The other illuminates when the heat is actually on via the snap disk.

We do not trust the 12 VDC bay heater and have a permanently installed 110VAC cube heater with a thermostat next to the bay heater. I ran a dedicated line back to the block heater to power that heater. If on the road and the 12 VDC heater fails, the other heater can take over with the generator running. While at home we never winterize and leave the coach plugged into a 50 amp outlet installed on our house. I have the thermostat set on the 110 VAC cube heater to keep the temp about 50 in the tank area. Monitor it from the stick house with remote wireless thermometer's.
You can see the second heater installed next to the Cargo Heat in this photo:
Bay_Heaters - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

Good luck,

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bob

Thank you for the wiring diagram. I'm missing this one. This explains why I was getting power in places I didn't expect it. The circuit is different than I imagined.
I found the 15 and 30 amp fuses. The 5 amp fuse to the switch is what I have to look for. That may be burnt out.
I also see the indicator light in the schematic. I don't have that indicator in my control box. I have the switch with a light. But no indicator lamp. Strange.
I like what you did. I will get ac110 volt cube Hester also. I will run a direct wire to the engine heater also. Both are great ideas.
Today I will start the hint for the 5 amp fuse. It's not on my fuse list in the owners manual, but I'll find it.
I'll will print the wiring diagram for future reference.
Thank you for your time
Wishing you a HAPPY new year
Rick
Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bob

From what I see on the wiring diagram. When you turn the power switch on, it powers the temperature sensor and also powers the relay and turns on the pads. Which means the pads are on regardless of the outside temperature.
When the temperature drops enough, the fan is switched on and lights the indicator on the control panel. .
Does that sound right to you?
Rick
Old 12-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Rick you have it figured out. On my coach I have the same System switch and light in the overhead above the passenger seat. That switch must be on for the bay heater and pads to turn on. The snap disc on my coach is on the back wall in the overhead part of the service bay that is used for storage. It is about the size of a dime. You can put an ice cube on it and it will turn on so you know the system is working. The bay heater has its own thermostat and on/off switch. The System switch must be on and the snap disc trip before the bay heater works.

Rex Darley 01 Diplomat 40 PBD

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi Bob

From what I see on the wiring diagram. When you turn the power switch on, it powers the temperature sensor and also powers the relay and turns on the pads. Which means the pads are on regardless of the outside temperature.
When the temperature drops enough, the fan is switched on and lights the indicator on the control panel. .
Does that sound right to you?
Rick
Rick,

I was on the road yesterday and just now checked back in. I believe the 5 amp fuse you are looking for is up front in the run bay. That is where it is on our coach.

We are now at 1000 Trails Orlando and the temps are cool. Hope it warms up. We had miserable weather on our way down with very strong and gusty winds.

Bob

2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote