RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Basement Doors

Good evening everyone.

Two of my basement doors on the curb side of the coach appear to have come out of the track. If I see the connection points correctly, these doors hang on the lower lip of the rail that runs down the side of the coach.

We have a 2002 HR Endeavor and would be interested to see how this can be fixed. I wonder if that section of the rail is bent and now the door hinge doesn't sit well within the rail.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank!

SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Below is a PDF of a photo showing the aluminum extrusion for the doors on my Monaco Windsor, I don't know if yours are the same but it is basically a 2 piece hinge.

I had to replace both pieces on 2 of my basement doors last year after my wife drove the RV past a post at a fuel center. ~5' piece was flattened like a pancake but luckily the doors were salvageable.

The part that is attached to the door (#2 in photo) was held on with 8 or 10 rivets, this piece is still available from Monaco, cost ~$80 for a 20' piece which I had cut into length of door for easier shipping.

The Upper track that is mounted to the side of the motorhome (#5 in photo) was not available but I was able to buy a salvage piece from Visione Auto Mart in KY for ~$150.

If yours is the same and the door has come out of the track something must be wrong as the 2 mated pieces would not come apart unless one was bent/deformed. If you need more info on how to remove doors to fix let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Photo of Aluminum Extrusions for bay doors.pdf (2.04 MB, 194 views)

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you so much. It looks like the doors slide into these tracks so I will need to remove the track to see what the deal is. I think some ice got in there last winter and I opened the door so my thought is that it either bent the groove or popped it out.

How did you remove your doors? I'm trying to see where to start for this repair.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The doors slide into the track that is mounted to the motorhome. At either end of the track there is a small pop rivet that you have to remove. Take each of the small rams off of the door, they are easy to remove if you open the door all the way and put upward tension on them, then just take the end off the door. After you take the ram off the door should slide out either to the front or back. You will have to remove all the doors to get to the area you want to fix. If the extrusion is deformed you could probably try and press it back together using heavy clamps, pliers, vise grips etc. Be careful not to scuff the paint on the portion of that is visible.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Jim this was a great description and it will help get me started. It seems like something I can do as I didn't want to take her to the local RV shop who really doesn't know Monaco/HR products. I'll let you know how things go once I get things apart.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Okay just got started on pulling the rails from the affected side. The basement doors are connected to the rail and so it the body trim in front of the doors. There doesn't appear to be anyway to remove the doors without taking off the body panels. Any tips on this?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If your doors are like mine they will slide out. You will have to take all the doors out in the front or back of the doors you want to remove. At the end of each track there is a small rivet that keeps the doors from sliding out, even though there is no way they would if they were closed.

You will have to take of the 2 rams that support the door when it's open, just lift the door as much as you can and they should come off easy.

I had 2 doors under the slide and 2 doors for the wet bays that I had to remove and repair and repaint.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

I removed the rubber trim and all of the screws on the forward piece near the front door. I've got the struts off of the affected doors and will attempt to move them toward the front of the coach. It looks like the trim attached to the coach is bent, thus the door popping out. I've contacted Monaco/HR about a part that looks similar so we'll see what they come up with.

I noticed that many of the screws attaching the trim to the coach are rusted out. Did you drill new holes in the hinge rail or resuse the old holes? The screws appear to be rusted off within the old holes so I'm going to have to fill the old holes and drill new ones.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I ended up replacing the screws since I had to put on a different piece attached to the coach. The piece that I had to replace was directly under the slide.

Note>>
Monaco was able to supply me with the new piece that attached to the door. The sold it in 16' pieces (I think???) so I had them cut it in 4 equal pieces that were long enough to fix a door.

Monaco did not have the trim that attaches to motorhome. I had to buy a used piece from Visone Auto Mart, strip the paint and then repaint when I did the doors.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well the 2001 HR Endeavor does not have bay doors that slide out along the track. This same track is used to hold the body panels in place as well. I've called the factory and will let u know what I find out. Man this is a pain in the tail.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Well I finally got the curb side disassembled. Had to pull all bay doors off from the rear of the coach. The only different from jacs post is that the body panel above both axles\wheels were on the track and also had to be removed too. Once I got rolling it didn't take too long.

Now I'm going to fill all the screw holes and clean up the spot of the old railing in preparation for the new.

As I removed the old screws....most of them were rusted off or broke upon removal. I never thought to remove the rubber trim to check this but if you have an older coach I would recommend doing this. When the new rail goes in I will look for stainless self tapping screws to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1436015984971.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	99118  
Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you got them off, must be a different type of hinge system then mine.

I did by the door trim form Monaco, fairly decent price, enough for 3 doors for ~$85.

The piece that mounts to the coach was not available so I had to buy a used piece from a salvage yard, they charged me a arm and leg for ~7' piece >> $150. I had to strip it and repaint but it turned out pretty good.

Good luck on the rest of your project.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Jim. Monaco actually had the trim that attaches to the coach so it should be quick once it comes in. Thanks for your tips....wish I didn't have to pull off the body parts.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Got the rails from the manufactuer and they are a perfect match. Got some self tapping screws to reinstall the rail but due to the old screws rusting out, new homes will be required.

Jim and crew...do you have any suggestions on drilling new holes? Should I predrill the holes in the side of the camper?

Tags
door