RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
ArkansasRomr's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 223
Blog Entries: 1
Basement heating

Hey guys/gals,

Iím here in the gorgeous Ozark mountains and snowing and getting colder with temps falling to 4 degrees tonight. Iím wondering if my 2001 Monaco Dynasty has basement heating? If so, how do I turn it on? I havenít found anything in the manual yet and I donít want anything freezing tonight.

Thanks for your help,

Romr
__________________

__________________
Plumlee
2001 Monaco Dynasty 36FD 8.3L Cummins/Allison 6 Speed with a 2012 VW Jetta TDI pushing it really hard
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,071
Hi Romr; As to your question, it depends! Do you have the Aqua-Hot system in your Dynasty. I don't in my 01 Windsor, just the LP furnace. From what I know the Aqua-Hot system has a thermostat in the basement that you set to come on at a certain temp. If no Aqua-Hot and just the LP furnace, at you panel for all tank levels should be a switch that is labeled, Basement Heat. That switch controls the small 12V heater in the basement. When you have been in the basement where all the water systems are, water pump and etc., you would see a small heater that is black with a thermostat setting on it. The switch by the panel turns the heater on but is controlled by a snap disk in the wet bay. I am sure this info is in my owners manual. I will download yours and see if I can find the instructions. Also my Windsor has a vent from the LP furnace that is directed into the basement. This would only supply warm air when the LP furnace is on. I Am going to do some digging for info. Hope this small amount of info helps!
__________________

8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Dom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 365
As its a 2001, probably doesn't have led lights. You could leave your basement lights on and it might be enough to heat the compartments. Otherwise an extension cord and a 60 watt bulb would do it
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,071
Hi again Romr; Did some digging and this is what I found. In your Dynasty owners manual in section 4, pages 103 and 109 tell operation of the LP furnace and the Aqua-Hot holding tank bay heater. Could not find the info for the 12V bay heater in your Dynasty manual and I might have missed it. In the owners manual for my 01 Windsor in section 6 page 161 it explains the 12V bay heater operation. You can download my Windsor manual at the Monaco Coach web site at the bottom of the page. Just click on manuals and follow the instructions. Don't freeze tonight!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ArkansasRomr's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 223
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi again Romr; Did some digging and this is what I found. In your Dynasty owners manual in section 4, pages 103 and 109 tell operation of the LP furnace and the Aqua-Hot holding tank bay heater. Could not find the info for the 12V bay heater in your Dynasty manual and I might have missed it. In the owners manual for my 01 Windsor in section 6 page 161 it explains the 12V bay heater operation. You can download my Windsor manual at the Monaco Coach web site at the bottom of the page. Just click on manuals and follow the instructions. Don't freeze tonight!

I donít think I have the aqua hot system. Iíll check for the switch by the tank levels.

Youíre info is spot on and thanks a bunch!

My wife and I are dug in for the night. The LP furnace does a good job I just hope I donít run out!

Thanks again
__________________
Plumlee
2001 Monaco Dynasty 36FD 8.3L Cummins/Allison 6 Speed with a 2012 VW Jetta TDI pushing it really hard
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ArkansasRomr's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 223
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
As its a 2001, probably doesn't have led lights. You could leave your basement lights on and it might be enough to heat the compartments. Otherwise an extension cord and a 60 watt bulb would do it

Dom,

No LED lights but I do have storage lights and have left them on. I hope that keeps the plumbing from freezing.

Thanks
__________________
Plumlee
2001 Monaco Dynasty 36FD 8.3L Cummins/Allison 6 Speed with a 2012 VW Jetta TDI pushing it really hard
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
153stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Braidwood Il.
Posts: 1,012
Cold frame gardeners will swap jugs of water in and out of frame to house on cold nights .For the thermal mass hot water would be better , might work in a pinch someday for someone. This Spring and fall pretty much sucked in the Midwest. Hope all turns out well.
__________________
95 Monaco Crown Royale
M11 400hp, 4060 trans.
Aquahot, Generac Guardian7.5k
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 803
There is a duct from the furnace to the wet bay in my 98 Dynasty but if you have the
same insulation in your that came with mine I don't know if that is enough heat. I did
mayor insulation with my rig so it is good. It might pay to get electric heater and run the
generator all night.
__________________
Peter
36 ft 98 Dynasty
98 Suzuki Sidekick Sport 4 door
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
ArkansasRomr's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 223
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Cold frame gardeners will swap jugs of water in and out of frame to house on cold nights .For the thermal mass hot water would be better , might work in a pinch someday for someone. This Spring and fall pretty much sucked in the Midwest. Hope all turns out well.
Thatís a good idea.

Thanks
__________________
Plumlee
2001 Monaco Dynasty 36FD 8.3L Cummins/Allison 6 Speed with a 2012 VW Jetta TDI pushing it really hard
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
ArkansasRomr's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 223
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy70 View Post
There is a duct from the furnace to the wet bay in my 98 Dynasty but if you have the
same insulation in your that came with mine I don't know if that is enough heat. I did
mayor insulation with my rig so it is good. It might pay to get electric heater and run the
generator all night.
Hey Peter,

I actually did have an old oil heater thatís takes awhile to get going but puts out good heat. I put in in the primary storage.
__________________
Plumlee
2001 Monaco Dynasty 36FD 8.3L Cummins/Allison 6 Speed with a 2012 VW Jetta TDI pushing it really hard
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
ArkansasRomr's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 223
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks to all for your great ideas and help!

We made it thru the night at 4 degree temps. No problems today. Monaco’s are built well and it shows in low and high temperatures. Started up the big Cummins this morning (15 minute block heater) with no problems.

Thanks again
__________________
Plumlee
2001 Monaco Dynasty 36FD 8.3L Cummins/Allison 6 Speed with a 2012 VW Jetta TDI pushing it really hard
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
BSHGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 296
must be special

A little late in the game but still just 2 days out from Amazon. I started to use this little thing to monitor the basement (1) water control areas (2) and the under belly (3) for the highs and the LOWS of the air temperature. If you don`t know how are you going to know when to heat a certain area or if you do, I did find out that just running the furnace at a comfortable level kept the basement well above freezing in really cold out side temps and this is where most of the water lines are. Woks well and is very accurate. I f you are in sub zero temps at least you`ll know you have to do something like now or suffer the consequences, like the dreaded announcement from your wife in the bathroom " Honey there`s no water ". Now that`s a loaded statement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
2018.5 Montana 3791 Rear Den, 2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7 Top Dog 5995 payload
Electric brakes Ö. Disk Brakes....it`s the only way
Andersen Ult Air Bags TrailAir pin box X Factors MoRryde SRE 4000....real smooth ride
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
mchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Full Time USA
Posts: 1,768
My Discovery has a register from the furnace in the wet bay, problem I had was the register is on the curb side and the valves and such on the street side (pass-thru).
During real cold weather it just does not get enough heat. I ended up installing an electric heater that kicks in around 35 degrees.
I suggest you get a remote thermometer so you know what the temps are. Gets costly when things start to freeze.
At 7:26pm outside temp is 22.5 and wet bay is running at 37 deg. Expecting 11 deg temps 6am. Ill be monitoring that wet bay temperature this evening!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
TriMoot's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,013
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
A little late in the game but still just 2 days out from Amazon. I started to use this little thing to monitor the basement (1) water control areas (2) and the under belly (3) for the highs and the LOWS of the air temperature. If you don`t know how are you going to know when to heat a certain area or if you do, I did find out that just running the furnace at a comfortable level kept the basement well above freezing in really cold out side temps and this is where most of the water lines are. Woks well and is very accurate. I f you are in sub zero temps at least you`ll know you have to do something like now or suffer the consequences, like the dreaded announcement from your wife in the bathroom " Honey there`s no water ". Now that`s a loaded statement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
X2! Yes I bought the same thing and have it monitoring our bays. I put one in an unheated bay as my baseline and then the other two in the web bay and hot water tank bay. We haven't had terrible cold weather here in Spokane but it's nice to know what things look like.

Top display line is the temp and humidity inside the RV, the the one on the right is the baseline and it's inside a non heated bay, and the other two are the wet bay and hot water tank bay that have light bulbs inside to help with the heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp-monitor-2.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	266689  
__________________

__________________
___________________
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
1997 Suzuki Sidekick JX, Spokane, WA
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat, heating



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do all Allegro Red have basement heating for the winter?? Grandcanyon Tiffin Owner's Forum 28 10-14-2014 12:57 AM
basement heating becker Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 12-30-2012 01:31 PM
Monitoring and Heating Basement 2Labs National RV Owner's Forum 5 11-07-2011 09:47 PM
Basement Heating becker Monaco Owner's Forum 2 12-20-2010 11:49 PM
Basement Heating Pad Les Stallings RV Systems & Appliances 7 01-13-2008 02:26 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×