Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #1

Batteries

I just stored our MH at a storage place to which we will not have access for the next 3 months. Before leaving I forgot to hit the kill switch. Will I be able to start the engine when I go get it in March?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm new at owning a pusher and if experience is equal to the some of past errors, I'm getting experienced too quickly to my taste.
LCharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

Luc,

Before I put two additional solar panels on my coach it would be dead in 2 days, with the batteries completely flat after a week. If it gets as cold in Montreal as it did when I was a kid (lived there in the '70s), they will also quite probably be frozen and possibly cracked.

Strongly suggest you find a way to cut off the batteries, but before you do, you will need to get a full charge on them.

Sorry for bringing bad news.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #3

Unlikely--lots of small amp draws from all over the coach on both battery banks....not even if you turn off the bat disconnect switches, will you get them all--disconnect bat cables is the only sure way. Even then, three months is along time for bats to "rest"--but they could still go....Also, for DPs with gensets, its a good idea to "exercise" the generator every 30 days, need to run it for an hour or so at half load....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

Distaff, I live in Montreal but the coach will be in Florida for the next 3 months. I left it there because it's too cold here.

Since I'm 1300 miles away I will not be able to run the generator or disconnect the batteries.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCharron View Post
Distaff, I live in Montreal but the coach will be in Florida for the next 3 months. I left it there because it's too cold here.

Since I'm 1300 miles away I will not be able to run the generator or disconnect the batteries.
Well, the good news is they won't be cracked. They will be dead, so probably will your house batteries. Very hard to get a boost for these coaches. If you use the CAA or AAA they tend to send out a support vehicle that can start a diesel pickup, not a heavy diesel. They may be able to start your generator. Plan on fussing with this for several hours when you get back to the coach.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:50 AM   #6

Could the solar panel keep the batteries charged to a minimum to be able to start the engine?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCharron View Post
Could the solar panel keep the batteries charged to a minimum to be able to start the engine?

You didn't mention solar before.......how many watts capacity is your solar setup?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #8

Short answer is no. Mine will last about 8 weeks with the kill switch off. Now, I have had the task of starting my DP with dead batteries in the winter. The only thing that worked for me was jumping the generator batteries. The big mill just would not start by jumping the batteries. Of course you will have warm weather.

Once the genny is running you can get things going. If you can plug into electricity then you are golden.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

The solar panel mine came with from the factory would not keep ahead of the draws. It would maintain the batteries if I cut them off (the solar controller bypasses the cut off), but if I left the batteries connected the draws outran the charge.

I added two more panels, adding 300 watts of solar, and now they can keep up. My coach came with a 60 or 80 watt panel.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #10

Luc, one other thing about solar. On my coach the solar controller was only wired to the house side, and if I cut off the batteries the solar didn't maintain the starter batteries because it relied on the BIRD/Big Boy cross over charging circuit to get charge to the starters. This doesn't work if you cut off the batteries!

I wired a second charge circuit from the solar controller to the starters. The Heliotrope controller that came with the coach had the capacity but Monaco didn't wire it.

I have a couple of other questions - I understand you bought the coach recently, do you know the condition of your batteries? If they were questionable, don't lose any sleep and plan on buying and installing new ones in the spring. If they were good, did you lock the battery compartment when you parked it? If you didn't, and the coach is parked at a commercial facility, you may be able to hire a mobile RV tech to go and turn them off. There are lots of those guys around Florida. If you did lock it, many of them have the keys.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:58 AM   #11

Dead House Batteries

I'm new to motorhoming as well and left my Monaco parked in storage for 10 days. When I went to use it I had no power. Can I start my generator using the chassis battery and charge my house batteries? I have no shore power available.
TYRTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2!
Your house batteries are dead or your engine batteries ?

bet your inverter was left on and the battery disconnect was not
Lot's to learn and I'm still trying so that's why I'm trying to help !

You might could use your 'battery boost' button for a few seconds to boost it while you start it.

good luck !

(here's a snippet from the online manual you can download at monaco.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batteryCapture.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	113348  
Old 12-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #13

Thanks. House batteries are dead.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYRTLE View Post
Thanks. House batteries are dead.
Read book and went back to the Monaco and started the diesel generator and it charged the four house batteries. Whew ... lost an entire night's sleep!

Tags
batteries