Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #1

Battery Boost Not Working

New to me 2004 Dynasty. 400 ISL.

Ran down chassis batteries my mistake leaving two dash components on for 10 days.

Chassis batteries dead. Try to use Batt Boost and no luck. House batteries fully charged (volt meter).

My friend called RV facility in San Antonio (IronHorse) and owner said that he has had a few 2004 Dynasty's that did not have Batt Boost connected.

Can anyone help with troubleshooting this ? I did a search and have not had much success.

Many thanks !
bajarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
If that switch is hook in to the chassie side and the batterys are dead dead it won't have enough power to pull in, have you tried to just put jumper cables and leave the truck off and see if i works then, try that as a test first
Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
Battery boost in my 2007 Scepter didn't work. It had a blown fuse, tech replced fuse, but the next time I needed it, boost still didn't work. Tech traced the problem to a bad relay. Relay would "click" but not make contact. Replaced relay. You might also check on how your chasis batteries charge. I kept finding dead chasis batterise aftrer I stored coach even with batterie "off". Turns out, and I confirmed with Monaco, that my coach was wired to charge chasis batteries only when engien was running. Did not charge from shore power or generator. Had echo charger installed. Per Monaco, either echo charger or new control board to fix problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
my boost switch (08 knight) doesn't work either. I know the bird does, I can see it on the voltmeters, but the boost rocker switch does nothing.
I went back there with a voltmeter once, having my son hit the switch... nothing.

But I do know the solenoid works, and the bird circuit in the front bay works fine too.
it's on my list to fix.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv
If that switch is hook in to the chassie side and the batterys are dead dead it won't have enough power to pull in, have you tried to just put jumper cables and leave the truck off and see if i works then, try that as a test first
on a Monaco DP, the switch is physically connected to the 12 volt main breaker board, in the front drivers side bay, where the BIRD circuit is.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #6

Had a similar problem dead chassis and full house batteries (08 Dip).
Turned out to be the solenoid (Trombetta) that couples the house and chassis batteries. The copper contacts were severely corroded from oxidization or some other chemical process which prevented them from making contact when closed. The replacement has silver contacts and the copper version is no longer available.
rcsoarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A new Trombetta fixed my problem. They came in a xxxxx-10 and xxxx -20. I believe the -10 was the old copper contacts and the -20 was the new silver contacts.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #8

You can also drill out the rivets in trombetta switch and clean the contacts and reassemble. Works just fine and very simple to do. Saves alittle cash.

Poppa j
Poppa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa J
You can also drill out the rivets in trombetta switch and clean the contacts and reassemble. Works just fine and very simple to do. Saves alittle cash.

Poppa j
I need to check mine more carefully. I put 2 digital voltmeters on my dash, and I can easily see when the bird circuit energizes. The go equal voltage.

But when they are different voltages, indicating to me that the bird is not energized, hitting the boost switch does nothing. The voltmeters do not equalize. This functionality is on me list...
Old 08-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I need to check mine more carefully. I put 2 digital voltmeters on my dash, and I can easily see when the bird circuit energizes. The go equal voltage.

But when they are different voltages, indicating to me that the bird is not energized, hitting the boost switch does nothing. The voltmeters do not equalize. This functionality is on me list...

Jim, I think mine does the same thing. I do know the salesman switch has to be on for mine to work. I too had the trombetta relay issue twice. The second time I mounted the relay turning the contacts over so any moisture that gets sucked into the housing will get pushed out when it gets hot instead of acumulating. I will add the aux start button to my to do list to be sure. Since I am totally aware of the trombetta issue it only takes ten seconds to use an alligator clip to engage it if needed.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
interesting. My salesmans switch died, or the relay did, and I bypassed it. Maybe i need to fix that? But it did used to work, and the boost button never did.
All on my list.
I need to get out to the coach and start working on this stuff, as well as woring on the new seasonal campsite...
So much to do...

Tags
battery