Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #1

Battery boost solenoid

In the battery bay I have what appears to be a solenoid that is for the battery boost when you want to use house batteries for starting the engine. It is marked Trombetta 114-1211-020. The question is, it is warm, very warm. I am plug into a 30 amp out let but engine is not running and has been sitting. If I have DW turn the key on such as you would when go to start the MH and hit the boost switch it does click but can't hear a click when boost switch is released. What worries me is it being as warm as it is just sitting. Should I disconnect one of the positive terminals so house and chassis batteries cannot be connected together and replace? Any insight would be great. I just can't believe it should be that hot.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

Found my answers. Finally found phone number for Trombetta and from what their tech dept. says they do run that hot. He said they can run anywhere from 160 to as high as 180 degrees. He says not to worry.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #3

Sorry, but I find that response to your question suspect? It is a simple switch that normally sits in a neutral off position and only activated by a toggle switch to open the contact inside the solenoid?
I'd check the small terminals at the solenoid for power. Should be none. Then I'd remove one of the large terminals and check for voltage through the contacts or continuity between them. Simple check for peace of mind. If it is a closed circuit, replace, as it should be open at rest.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #4

Its not just the boost solenoid.

It serves double duty as your isolation/charge solenoid.

Anytime your engine is running and your chassis batteries are charging above 13.3 volts, it closes and also charges your house batteries.

On many MHs, it seems including your, it also works the opposite way. Your house battery charging system will maintain the chassis battery while on shore power.

While its doing its job, it has current running to the small wires to hold it engaged. That's what creates the heat.

If you were to disconnect shore power and had the engine off for a while, once the battery voltages dropped below the isolation control set point, the solenoid would disconnect and cool down.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #5

Twinboat your comments are what the tech said. I thank everyone for the help.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
YC1

As usual Twinboat is spot on.

Put the following "battery,bird,monaco" into the little green google search box above for some great research information.

Totally normal for them to run too hot to touch. But they do fail and cause all kinds of headaches.

Not a bad item to replace every few years do to the failure histories and complaints on this forum.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Its not just the boost solenoid.

It serves double duty as your isolation/charge solenoid.

Anytime your engine is running and your chassis batteries are charging above 13.3 volts, it closes and also charges your house batteries.

On many MHs, it seems including your, it also works the opposite way. Your house battery charging system will maintain the chassis battery while on shore power.

While its doing its job, it has current running to the small wires to hold it engaged. That's what creates the heat.

If you were to disconnect shore power and had the engine off for a while, once the battery voltages dropped below the isolation control set point, the solenoid would disconnect and cool down.
Thanks. I am now smarter. great info
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solenoid