Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #1

Battery Box Solenoid for Charging

I was looking in the battery box and found a green wire and red one capped off, they came from the solenoid they were each fused but not hook to anything. I do have a purple wire and white that are mark with (r) hook up at bottom of solenoid. Any thoughts on the red and green wires. Thanks Rich
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a battery maintainer???

If not one of the wires could have went to the maintainer and the other to an ignition lock out relay.

My maintainer looks is a LE-415
https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/monac...5-p/le-415.htm
But there are cheaper alternatives.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichLove View Post
I was looking in the battery box and found a green wire and red one capped off, they came from the solenoid they were each fused but not hook to anything. I do have a purple wire and white that are mark with (r) hook up at bottom of solenoid. Any thoughts on the red and green wires. Thanks Rich
Used coach? Fused green ground wire says Modified.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
YC1

I agree with someones modification.

The solenoid along the back wall (assumption), is prone to failure and I just spent quite some time helping another person sort it out.

Take a picture and you will get even more concise information.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

Thank you guys for all input,my house batt were not charging while driving,solenoid was cold to touch checked all terminals determine I needed to order a solenoid. Thanks again Rich
Old 01-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
YC1

Quote:
Thank you guys for all input,my house batt were not charging while driving,solenoid was cold to touch checked all terminals determine I needed to order a solenoid. Thanks again Rich
Be sure to get the silver coated contact ones for longer life. It can take a while for the solenoid to get hot and running hot is normal.

The real test is checking the voltage across the purple and white wires to see if the voltage is there to energize the thing. Once energized the large posts should read identical voltage.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Be sure to get the silver coated contact ones for longer life. It can take a while for the solenoid to get hot and running hot is normal.

The real test is checking the voltage across the purple and white wires to see if the voltage is there to energize the thing. Once energized the large posts should read identical voltage.

Thanks Myron, I check there was no power on purple wire.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #8

You need to hold the boost switch or have the engine running for power to be on the purple wire.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You need to hold the boost switch or have the engine running for power to be on the purple wire.

twinboat, There is power when I hold Boost switch ,No power when engine running, but remember both batt are 13.5 now we are plug into power at camp site. Thanks
Old 01-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
YC1

Quote:
twinboat, There is power when I hold Boost switch ,No power when engine running, but remember both batt are 13.5 now we are plug into power at camp site. Thanks

Check the voltage on the purple and white wires while you are connected to shoreline. You may have because you are seeing 13.5 on each battery but to satisfy my curiosity ...

Could be an intermittent, or a defective BIRD board, etc.

Getting measurements while things seem to be working is very important. Be sure to keep a log of these. You can easily get lost along the way after taking dozens of measurements and things change.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #11

Follow the purple wire. It goes to a controller.
That controller needs 12 volt power to do its job.

The boost switch will close the solenoid any time you push it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Follow the purple wire. It goes to a controller.
That controller needs 12 volt power to do its job.

The boost switch will close the solenoid any time you push it.

Thanks to everyone for your help.Rich

Tags
battery, charging, solenoid