Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Battery charging

I live in Minnesota and would like to know if other snow birds leave batteries plugged in all winter or just now and then? Do you just use MH charger or an outside charger? Thanks Wrinkles
wrinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #2

I'm lucky to have the coach in my back yard and leave the coach plugged in , with the on board charger and BIRD system charging coach & chassis batteries; whenever I'm home . About once every 2 months or before trips , I check the connections, charge rate and electrolyte levels .
Old 07-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #3

Not all the time but every couple of weeks I top off both battery systems.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keeping your batteries fully charged and wet prevents sulfation and extends the battery life considerably. After learning the hard way mine are out of the coach and in the garage hooked to a BatteryMinder as I type. Optimal would be to be able to plug the MH in while stored but I do not have that arrangement so I lug them home. I store half a year and travel the other half which makes this easier. I travel during winter.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #5

This is my 2nd MH...in both I changed to the WFCO 3-stage converter. I leave it plugged in 24/7 inside the RV barn maintaining all the batteries all the time using the coach's BCC circuitry. BatteryMinder desulphators on both sets. No problems in years. Batteries last a VERY long time.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you think about it there's no information in your MH's owners manual that discusses how to deal with batteries in a coach that is parked sitting idle, week-end camping, extended stay camping (2-3 weeks) and full-timing.

Most current MH's have converters that will maintain the batteries under all circumstances. Many travel to a southern location and park for 6 months and are plugged the entire time. The only difference is if you are plugged in at home you are not draining current from the battery on a daily basis.

TeJay
Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #7

I have one question regarding battery charging, do they still charge if the house and chassis switches are turned off?
Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortisi876 View Post
I have one question regarding battery charging, do they still charge if the house and chassis switches are turned off?
Our first one did nothing with the battery off.

Our current one provides interior power but does not charge the battery unless the switch is on. These days I leave an interior light on so I know what position the relay is in since the rocker does not tell me. If the light is off when the plug is pulled I know the relay is off. I check that before plugging in when stored so I can throw the switch to turn the battery on when I plug in to charge the battery. That way I know things are working the way I want them to.

We just put in a pad so now I am thinking of adding an outside line and putting two battery minders on the unit so I do not need to play with the built in charger.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortisi876 View Post
Every manufacturer will be slightly different , but the thinking is if the coach is plugged in , there is really no reason to activate the disconnects.

Easy enough to test with a voltmeter.

Tags
battery, charging