Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
Not sure if your coach is the same as mine. I have the BIRD on mine that charges both sets of batteries when connected to shore power. I leave my inverter off and charger on. Note the charge light is on in the pic.
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on your inverter.. I will describe just two inverters as examples of dozens of others. I kind of like Xantrex products. the important difference for this discussion is HIGHLIGHTED.

Xantrex Prosine 2.0 2,000 watt, true sine wave, IN-LINE
Xantrex X-power, 1000 watt msw.. STAND-ALONE

The inline Inverter is also a battery charger (nice 3 stage plus equalization unit) and automitally switches from charger with power pass through to the loads to inverter if mains (shore/generator) power should fail or if it should fall outside the pre-set limits (Voltage too low/high, frequency too low/high, waveform too dirty)

however it can not do this if it's turned off

The result... If power fails, as it has, due to say a breaker tripping, or more likely a driver tripping and driving his multi-thousand pound battering ram off the road and into one of those creosote soaked "Trees" that line the highways (Power pole) the television does not even flicker as the unit switches from PASS-THROUGH to INVERTER..

however if shore power IS present, the inverter is in standby, There is no way for me to turn it on fully (I have a choice of "Standby" and "Disabled" only)

The stand alone.... Since it does nto sense shore power, it will draw on the batteries 100% of the time.. So you turn it off and on as needed.

As for float charging the batteries.. My Prosine does that automatically (it's stage 3 on a 3-stage charger) but yes, you want to do that. WHY? Well, there are several 12 volt loads in your rig.. Even if they are not "Labeled" as such.

The water heater... Likely uses 12vdc to control either the propane burner or the relay that turns the electric heat element on and off

The Fridge, likewise it has a 12vdc "Brain"

Explosive Gas (propane) Detector, And in many cases Smoke and CO detectors run on 12 volt.. The steps and step light when you open the door (Assumes electric steps) the TV antenna (Winegard Batwing, er, sensar)

Interior lights in the rig

Air conditioners (may or may not)

Vent fans

And more all use battery power.. So you keep it a-float.

In my rig you can add a few radios including my main ham rig, It's a 100 watt multi-mode transmitter Can suck up to 20 amps peak
Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #17

I am sure many of us have been enlightened by all of the great response to the inverter and charging issues from all of you.
This is what seems what works best for me after all of your inputs. I will leave the inverter "ON' all the time to take care of all the various 12volt usage. I have a "float charger" attached to my 12volt chassis batteries. Please let me know if I'm still a misguided sole.
My inverter is the old square wave, I will keep it until it croaks and replace it with a sine wave.
The Goose
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #18

Mr. Chattacuda and Mr. Diplomat Don. Thanks guys, my system "Float Charging is ON" with the Inverter OFF. The charge light is blinking and the "batt full" light is solid. This was the settings before my 12v chassis batteries when flat. I now have an "external float charger on my 12v chassis batt's.
Sure sound like you guys are right on, I will leave it at this setting and see what happens.
Thanks again guys.
The Goose
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #19

Larry
Of all the responses Don has nailed it ...i believe the charger section itself was turned off ...check it there are two buttons...one for inverter and one for charger On your setup when plugged in your batteries should go through the three stages of charge and stay in float at around 13.1 (depending on temperature) Not sure that the Windsor charges the chassis battery though.....not all models charge both
As for me I never turn off the inverter at all.....use 120v to charge laptop on the road
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I"m going to ask what inverter you have and what OFF switch you switched...

I have a Prosine 2.0... IT has 3 on/off switches, (And a 4th optional I don't have) on the inverter itself.. LEAVE THAT ONE ON.

On the remote panel there are two, "inverter" and "Charger" Frankly, so long as you have shore power the "Inverter" switch don't much matter, you can not turn it on with shore power present, (Turning the switch on puts it in Standby)

The CHARGER switch.. Charges the batteries.. Turn it on.