Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #1

Battery charging while on shore power

I have an 01 Diplomat LE, bought it 3 years ago. New batteries at that time. First two winters, cold storage, no power. Just turned the masters off and everything was fine. This winter, differant storage, with electric power, so I have the rig pluged in. I just retired last fall and we are leaving for Florida after the 1st of the year. I started the rig today, just to check things, and the chassis batteries were very low. Wouldn't start the rig. Used the switch to house batteries and fired right up. Is there a relay or something that has caused a disconnect? The book says the charger should maintain house as well as chassis batteries. Thanks for any help, Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

Dave, i have an 07 neptune and had similar experience as you. Chassis batteries would not stay charged after a month or more. I think some of the newer and/or higher dollar than mine have the bird system that keeps chassis batts charged. Yours must be like mine. I opted for a trik-l-start charger and problem solved. Was not very expensive either, maybe about $40 shipped to door. Should solve your problem. There are also several threads covering your problem as well. Good luck. Chad

Old 12-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two different isolator systems (Actually more than that) The one I have, If I plug in (As I am now) Chassis battery is kept "Fat and happy" (Well full and happy) by the house converter(s) (I have 2 of those one as a spare, no kidding).

Older rigs, (Even some newer ones) may lack this feature.. On these the engine charges the house, but not the other way around.

TRICK-L-Start is a small box, 3 wires, One wire hooks to one of the big terminals on the isolator solenoid, (Relay) one to the other big terminal, 3rd to ground.

Provides the missing function. Good reviews here in the forums.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshoby View Post
I have an 01 Diplomat LE, bought it 3 years ago. New batteries at that time. First two winters, cold storage, no power. Just turned the masters off and everything was fine. This winter, differant storage, with electric power, so I have the rig pluged in. I just retired last fall and we are leaving for Florida after the 1st of the year. I started the rig today, just to check things, and the chassis batteries were very low. Wouldn't start the rig. Used the switch to house batteries and fired right up. Is there a relay or something that has caused a disconnect? The book says the charger should maintain house as well as chassis batteries. Thanks for any help, Dave
Dave:

I owned a 2001 Diplomat LE - bought it new in 01 and traded in 05 for a Dynasty.

The batteries and charging systems were totally Isolated except when the Emergency Start relay was activated. I modified mine so I could charge the house batteries while I was driving and put another charger in to keep the chassis batteries charged as long as 120Vac was available.

Hope the attached Diagram Helps. I see people talking about "bird" systems. Don't have any experience with them. If the diagram does not go, please send me a private note or email and I will resend.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 38010901 House Diagram Model (2).pdf (241.5 KB, 62 views)

Tags
battery, charging, power