Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #15

Don, with modern test equipment batteries can be checked if in a somewhat discharged state and checked accurately. These new testers are not the old carbon pile type. They are extremely accurate. The 1st 1 I had in my hands...I was VERY skeptical..and low and behold after 6 yrs of daily repeated use(1000+ batteries tested)...it has never failed to find a bad battery or state a good battery to be bad. The drawback is this type tester was very expensive. I believe Johnson Controls may have been the manufacturer. it featured a printer foe the customers records as well. Most all auto manufacturers have done away with the carbon pile test equipment.
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCam42 View Post
Lee why make work out of a job Interstate will do FREE. They have many locations, I had them test my 4 that were 7 yrs. old they passed with ease. Water, water, water. Turn off when not in use as stated above.
Let's see.... A very inexpensive carbon pile load tester which weights a couple pounds. I take it to the motor home (Actually it lives there) and simply do a battery disconnect or lift a negative cable, and hook it up and run the test.

HOW MUCH do a pair of six volt batteries weigh.. I have to unhook not only the negative cable but the positive as well, and of course forget how to hook it back up, then I have to wrestle them out and haul them to the testing center.

Which sounds like more work? Test in place or wresteling with a hunk of lead!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #17

Lee,
You don't have to remove them for Interstate to test them, they will unhook the cables. Not sure how far the battery dealer is but that is the simplest idea for my two cents.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #18

Update on Our Batteries

Well after doing some checking and cleaning and searching the internet I found that my batteries are going to be 9yrs old this March. I never load tested them but I brought them to a full charge (13.5) and in 2 hours they dropped to 12 volt with nothing on in the MH. We are going to do some extencive traveling this summer and I don't want to risk any problems on the road. So I am going to bite the bullet and spring for new batteries. I need to do some checking around on prices.

Thank You all for your help and input... Lee

Got any advice on things to do while the batteries are out?
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Well after doing some checking and cleaning and searching the internet I found that my batteries are going to be 9yrs old this March. I never load tested them but I brought them to a full charge (13.5) and in 2 hours they dropped to 12 volt with nothing on in the MH. We are going to do some extencive traveling this summer and I don't want to risk any problems on the road. So I am going to bite the bullet and spring for new batteries. I need to do some checking around on prices.

Thank You all for your help and input... Lee

Got any advice on things to do while the batteries are out?
Turn off your inverter. Turn off house battery switch and chassis battery switch. Do you have solar? Unplug from shore power. Make sure generator is not on autostart. I know this is overkill but I don't want any chance of stray power messing something else up. You can also clean your battery trays and repaint if necessary. I also removed my battery cables and saw some corrosion inside the heat shrink area. I cut back the heat shrink to no corrosion area and had battery supplier clean and put new heat shrink on.
And, be sure to call that dealer and thank him for those new batteries and let him know his dealership will be well known on the RV forums.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Turn off your inverter. Turn off house battery switch and chassis battery switch. Do you have solar? Unplug from shore power. Make sure generator is not on autostart. I know this is overkill but I don't want any chance of stray power messing something else up. You can also clean your battery trays and repaint if necessary. I also removed my battery cables and saw some corrosion inside the heat shrink area. I cut back the heat shrink to no corrosion area and had battery supplier clean and put new heat shrink on.
And, be sure to call that dealer and thank him for those new batteries and let him know his dealership will be well known on the RV forums.
Thanks Barlow46. Nope I do not have solar (Wish I did) I will so as you say and turn everything off. I am thinking about painting my battery box with Bed Liner Paint. Also going to look at putting on a sliding tray so I can bring the batteries OUT to service them right now they are a pain to get to especially the back ones.
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery