Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #1

Battery Isolation Relay/Solenoid

Since I've owned my 1994 Monaco Executive the battery isolation relay that connects chassis and house batteries for jump starts has never worked. I benched checked it and nothing. There are no visable markings, numbers or names on it. I contacted Monaco, but they were no help stating they had no info on a relay of that age and had no suggestions for a replacement. I will try to post a picture and be open to suggestions or info if someone has dealt with the same problem. Relay is located on the front bulkhead under bed in engine compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay-Solenoid 002.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	19555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay-Solenoid 018.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	19556  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbstewart View Post
Since I've owned my 1994 Monaco Executive the battery isolation relay that connects chassis and house batteries for jump starts has never worked. I benched checked it and nothing. There are no visable markings, numbers or names on it. I contacted Monaco, but they were no help stating they had no info on a relay of that age and had no suggestions for a replacement. I will try to post a picture and be open to suggestions or info if someone has dealt with the same problem. Relay is located on the front bulkhead under bed in engine compartment.
Ron, that relay looks like it will come apart. I wouldn't be surprised that if you took it apart you may find the problem with it. I expect there are some dirty contacts in it. Do you get a click at all when you feed 12V to one of the small terminals?

Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford type Starter Relay...

Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
KIX

You will need a continuous duty solenoid. Cole-Hersee makes one with silver contacts. Google Cole-Hersee and check their product listings for the part #.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies, no I haven't pulled it apart, will try that since I have nothing to use. It's not a continous use, only used for battery boost connection, coach operates fine without it. I don't think that Ford start relay would handle the load its about 4 times bigger then it, my engine is an 8.3c Cummins.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Try this

Ron,

Look in the phone book or online for your local electrical rebuilder. They should have more books with electrical parts than anyone. We use a local guy here that is awesome. I took the liberty and looked up cole hersee products and all I saw were to small. Look up trombetta "bear" - they deem them dc contactors. It looks like what you may need. A marine supply house is another good bet. Hope this helps.

Allen
dieselbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
"Ford type.. what amp rating you need is up to you.. Cummins could tell you.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I just installed a new Trombetta Isolator Relay in my RV. Here's the one I used... works great!

Trombetta 114-1211-020 DC Contactor
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mine didn't work, either. I replaced it with a silver contact Trombetta. I took the old one apart (somewhat difficult, but not impossible), cleaned the BADLY oxidized copper contacts, smeared some anti-ox grease on them and put it back together. Now it works great. Mine is not only the boost solenoid, but also connects the battery banks so my engine alternator charges my house batts while going down the road. With the reconditioned solenoid, I now have a spare.
wizzo442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
KIX

Here's the Cole-Hersee solenoid with silver contacts 100amp

Cole Hersee-COLE HERSEE - 12V Insulated Continuous Duty SPST Solenoid - 24612-BX-24612-BX
Old 04-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #11

I attempted to take mine apart, removed the 3 screws and top, found nothing unusual as far rust or frozen parts, put a meter on the 2 small ports, theres an opening in the windings, couldn't figure how get them out so I put it back together. Previous owner had already installed a 160 amp isolator (top picture) right over top it so all batterys charge when engine is running. Had it checked and it's working fine. Shore line will only charge my house batterys, I'm not familiar enough with the system to know if when the old solenoid/relay was working it would allow both battery banks to be charged at the same time from the shore line. The generator when running charges one bank or the other but I don't know which one. For some reason there seems to be more then normal amperage draw from Chassis Battery when coach is parked with everything off, battery will discharge in about 4 days (battery is new) in the mean time I going to install an Intellitec latching solenoid (PN 01-00055-000) in the line that shows drawing power so I can shut it off until I can determine what's causing the parasite draw. Again thanks for all thoughts and suggestions.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbstewart View Post
I attempted to take mine apart, removed the 3 screws and top, found nothing unusual as far rust or frozen parts, put a meter on the 2 small ports, theres an opening in the windings, couldn't figure how get them out so I put it back together. Previous owner had already installed a 160 amp isolator (top picture) right over top it so all batterys charge when engine is running. Had it checked and it's working fine. Shore line will only charge my house batterys, I'm not familiar enough with the system to know if when the old solenoid/relay was working it would allow both battery banks to be charged at the same time from the shore line. The generator when running charges one bank or the other but I don't know which one. For some reason there seems to be more then normal amperage draw from Chassis Battery when coach is parked with everything off, battery will discharge in about 4 days (battery is new) in the mean time I going to install an Intellitec latching solenoid (PN 01-00055-000) in the line that shows drawing power so I can shut it off until I can determine what's causing the parasite draw. Again thanks for all thoughts and suggestions.
Here is a new battery boost relay 12 Volt DC 1500 amp Starter relay replaces Delco 1119865 - 9-865 10-D1601.

and here is a chassis battery maintainer Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #13

Thanks very much KIX, even though my relay has no markings I'm told it has 1500 amp rating and this relay looks just like it. I'm going to replace mine with this one. Will keep every one posted on how it works out.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
KIX

Sorry I wasn't much help but it looks like LoneStarAce came through for you.

Tags
battery