Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Battery Maintenance Day

Among all the other things that have been successful today, thought I'd look at the batteries...
and the coach batteries took a LOT of water... IMHO

I best get it checked out as they never seem to go into float charging - absorb charging is all I've ever seen on the monitor...

They took more than 3/4 gallon according to the pic...

and in looking at the batteries, they do look like they overflowed/overcharged at least once... oh well, another trip to the shop

And on the chassis batteries, I read these 31-lhd's are NOT maintenance free... you have to rip off a label to add water ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-05 001.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	113445   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-12 035.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	113446  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-12 024.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	113448  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your chassis batteries look like they are maintenance free, and it sounds like your house batteries are toast !
Old 12-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
yeah, I skeered of that possibility... started to push for new batteries when I got it... but didn't and they've been ok for 7 months, so just need to start shopping for new ones....

so far, we usually run the genny or are plugged in so haven't pursued it too much.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are the batteries showing any buldging on the sides yet?
Old 12-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
not that I looked for it or noticed it on the front ones... will look later...
really can't see the rear two

thanks for the insight!
Old 12-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

Bulging sides on a deep cycle is not that significant. JohnBoy, buy a specific gravity tester, get a charge on them, and check the state of your electrolyte.

No point worrying when for $15 you can know.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you looked into the top of the batteries before adding DISTILLED WATER were the plates exposed or were they covered in acid solution? IF covered no damage. If exposed some damage, how much is determined by how exposed. (NO exposure is best)

Damon put a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with Wizard in this house as the converter.. With just a pair of Interstate U-2200's they went a full year before I had to add. As they aged they became more .. er.. thirsty.

But I've had to replace them (9 years, not bad at all) and I also expanded the bank by adding more batteries.. They are now over 18 months and no added water yet. No signs I need to.. now I do admiot I went with DEKA not Interstate (Nearest battery store at teh time, American made, American Lead) but... I blame the 9180's wizard option for the long life.. I do check them every month or so.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
JohnBoyToo: Pick up a battery load tester from Harbor Freight for about $15 and you can test them yourself. My old ones acted like you described and I found that 5 batteries out of the 10 total were bad. Since I replaced them all very little water needs to be added.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, battery