Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Bay Heater

Hello again everyone, I have a question about the bay heater in my 2004 Diplomat. The temp is getting into the teens at night and low 30's during the day I just went out to drain the fresh tank and hot water heater and hot lines, the hot and cold lines will not drain so I guest they are frozen so I started the gen and turned the System Heat Operation switch on and the bay heater started blowing, I then let it sit for about 30 minutes went to check the bay and the heater is still blowing cold air. Question is am I doing something wrong, why is the bay heater still blowing cold air? Any help would be appreciated.
Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #2

there has been some conversation regarding the bay heaters you may want to do a search in the Monaco forum for but mine is doing the same thing. I plan to replace this http://http://www.radioshack.com/pro...LAID=107599331
in my heater soon.

Hope this helps you
Ed
Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #3

guess the link did not work. it is a Thermal Protector Fuse you can pick up at Radio Shack
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Try this URL

443°F (228°C) Thermal Protector Fuse - RadioShack.com

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Hello again everyone, I have a question about the bay heater in my 2004 Diplomat. The temp is getting into the teens at night and low 30's during the day I just went out to drain the fresh tank and hot water heater and hot lines, the hot and cold lines will not drain so I guest they are frozen so I started the gen and turned the System Heat Operation switch on and the bay heater started blowing, I then let it sit for about 30 minutes went to check the bay and the heater is still blowing cold air. Question is am I doing something wrong, why is the bay heater still blowing cold air? Any help would be appreciated.

As pointed out you most likely have a defective thermal fuse inside the bay heater. Until you get the bay heat fixed you can place a small cube heater in there that operates on 110 VAC. You will need an extension cord to operate it and either be on shore power or running the generator.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Question Bay heaters

I have the same problem, it's 10 here this morning and I have been reading this thread. I have a three questions

I am plugged into 30A, is that enough to run the heater?

Where is the thermal overload switch, is it in the heater?
I found the swith at Radio Shake, thanks but did not where to put it.

My coach has been winterized this year, I run a little heat because I have not built a storage place yet. What about the other storage, if we traavel in cold weather does the basement have some heat, if not could you mount a ceramic heater on the wall and plug it in with a thermostat.

Thanks guys, I know I will get the answer from one or two or five

Montiem
Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Just went to check heater in bay and the water is flowing so I guess it works, I will also continue to search for the fuse and snap disc. I read on another post alot about the location and testing. Again thanks.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I see my earlier post did not post, so heres what I said. I purchased a thermotatic controlled heater and placed it in the water bay to see if it would get the water flowing in the fresh tank, and as you can see from my earlier post it worked. Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Are you guys talking about the Thermal Protector Disc or the snap Disc Thermostat or both. In the owners manual it talks about a thermostat not a protector, big differance, $29 to 1.69 for the protector disc
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #10

After following a number of threads on this basement heater, it sounds like there can be trouble w/the snap disc (sometimes it is the snap disc location, sometimes the cheap disc), and the heater internals. Probably good to carry spares of both fuse & disc when traveling in cold weather.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My bay heater will not run unless the snap disk is activated. If it is blowing cold air, the disk is functioning. When it is really cold, the heat generated by the bay heater is barely perceptible.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
Are you guys talking about the Thermal Protector Disc or the snap Disc Thermostat or both. In the owners manual it talks about a thermostat not a protector, big differance, $29 to 1.69 for the protector disc
Inside the Cargo Bay Heater is a thermal fuse similar to the one in the link to Radio Shack. This is a protective device found in most resistive heat generating type appliances such as hair dryers and heaters. These are not intended to be user serviceable and usually are installed using crimp sleeves because the area can get to hot for solder.

If you are handy with tools and electrical stuff you can replace these fuses but the appliance must be disassembled. The one in my bay heater was bad and others have had the same problem. If your heater fan is blowing but the heating element does not glow orange you very well could have an open thermal fuse. This fuse will be connected to the heat element where the +12 volt line feeds power to the element. Check it for continuity with an ohmmeter. If it tests good then make sure the relay internal to the heater is good.

The snap disk located external to the heater controls this relay. There should be three wires going in to the heater. One is ground, one is +12 volts from a high current circuit breaker located near the batteries and the third is +12 volts applied by the snap disk. This +12 volts comes from a 5 amp fuse usually located in the run bay below the driver's window. The system heat switch being turned on applies this +12 volts to the snap disk. If your heater does not work first make sure you have power to the snap disk and to the heater. If these are OK then jumper across the snap disk or spray it with freeze spray. This should cause the heater to work. If it does not produce heat then you will need to remove the heater and take it apart to test the thermal fuse.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Huh. I always thought that heater was 110volt. Never paid attention to it just like my teacher used to tell me in school.

Mike
Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
If it does not produce heat then you will need to remove the heater and take it apart to test the thermal fuse.
Are your bay heaters easily accessable? Mine is located in a position where you have to be a contortionist to reach it.

If fact the sani-con is mounted in such a way that the impeller manual access hole faces the rear and cannot be accessed with a screwdriver, but that's another story.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote