RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2008, 04:52 AM   #1

i know this has been beat to death but I need to resurrect it. I did exactly what many have done with the stub outgas line monaco provided in the basement designed to hook up a portable bbq. I bought the recommended uniot, the Weber BabyQ which has a removeable regulator. i had a gas line fabricated and with the use of fittings, ttached it to the weber. It lit fine but after 20 minutes of warm up the heat was no where near enough to cook much of anything. What did I do wrong? (Besides wasting 180.00)

monaco t is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:52 AM   #2

i know this has been beat to death but I need to resurrect it. I did exactly what many have done with the stub outgas line monaco provided in the basement designed to hook up a portable bbq. I bought the recommended uniot, the Weber BabyQ which has a removeable regulator. i had a gas line fabricated and with the use of fittings, ttached it to the weber. It lit fine but after 20 minutes of warm up the heat was no where near enough to cook much of anything. What did I do wrong? (Besides wasting 180.00)

Old 01-27-2008, 05:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmmm....I can think of a few things here.
1st (and please excuse my ignorance) Is there enough propane?
2cnd Is the regulator stuck or open enough? I don't think they come adjustible unfortunatly.
3rd is the BBQ's valve open or tube clean. (new BBQ right?)
4, Is the new hose cleared of debris or kinked?

I actually used a fitting I bought at my tank for my hose all of the way on the other side of the coach at the propane tank. It was after I was checking things over that I found the factory installed piping and valve for the BBQ's hose. It was hidden behind my hot water heater. Sheesh! Go figure. I haven't bothered to hook it up there yet. I bought the hoses at Camping world. I haven't had any problems. My BBQ is a Coleman with the legs that come off for storage. A pretty good little unit.

Good luck
AKBrick
Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Get rid of the low pressure stuff, it is just a head ache!

I would suggest running a Extend-a-stay Propane Kit. Basicly you remove the line from the tank to the RV regulator, install this kit and hook your RV regulator line to it. Run a flexable propane hose from the tee across the RV to that utlity door in the rear of the storage compartment and when your ready to cook, hook a 2nd flexable hose and run it out the campartment to your grill on the outside of the coach.

I have ran it this way for about a year now with no problems and I grill every time we use our coach. I am leary about propane leaks and the nice deal about this is you can unhook and cap the flexable line at the tank when your not using it with ease.

You can see a picture of the kit if you type " Extend-a-stay Propane Kit" into google.

I will try and figure out how to post a picture of mine today for ya. Was really simple and you can run any grill you want this way. Have a relaxing Sunday!

2007 Diplomat PDQ 40
Socal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
AK- happened to hook up his BBQ on the high pressure side of the LP system. The Monaco outlet is low pressure and there are specially designed BBQs for this system, but I do not know how successful they are in achieving appropriate temperatures. Buy a Stay Flow Kit, install on the left side of your tanks pressure regulator, have a rubber line made up to reach the street side of your coach ( I leave mine unhooked at the stay flow until I am going to use it) and re-instll the BBQ regulator...its a good model and pretty handy.
Jim ( Relgel)
06 Dip/00 Cherokee
Old 01-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi relgel,
I couldn't remember the name of the kit that I used, but I did just that. I hook and unhook at the "Stay Flow" or is it "Extend a Stay" and recap the screw-on cap that is provided. I run the hose under the coach when I use the BBQ. That brass "T" was easy to hook up between the tank and the regulator.

I had no idea that there was a low pressure side of the propane, but duh, of course there must be since everything is hooked up after the regulator.

monoco t, you are trying to go through two regulators at one time so it is doubly lowering your pressure to the BBQ.

Thanks Socal36 and relgel!

I guess I was just lucky when I hooked mine up.
Go figure,
AKBrick
Old 01-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #7

AK-

I removed the weber regulator and hooked up directly. This one has me stumped. I have done exactly what many others have done sucessfully.
Weber Baby Q
Remove regulator
Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
monoco t,
Hmmm....well, ...now I'm stumped. I'm all out of suggestions now. Sorry.
AK
Old 01-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #9

I'm close to doing the hookup also and all the direction I have recieved is to hook up BEFORE the coach regulator. The generally accepted method is to use the "Extend-a-Stay" adapter, which does indeed connect on the high pressure side before the coach regulator.

If you think about it, a small portable tank is filled just like our larger 25 gallon tanks. You hook directly to the small tank and use the regulator on the grill, so it makes sense to hook directly to the large coach tank and use the regulator on the grill..

Sometimes what makes sense does not work!! so, good luck and tell us what you did when you figure it out.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Why does Monaco keep putting in a low pressure outlet for BBQ use? The cheapest low pressure BBQ I can find is about $200+. Every other BBQ sold in America uses high pressure. These people clearly have some agenda that I do not understand. When I call their tech support, they just roll their eyes at the design people at the factory.

This issue is second only to the rear video monitor housing that lets you look straight down and no where else. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This issue is second only to the rear video monitor housing that lets you look straight down and no where else. Stupid, stupid, stupid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just found out something about the adjustment of the rear view monitor in the Alladin system. I was always trying to adjust the camera up and down when I was in reverse and actually needed to adjust it. My service department advised that it could only be adjusted when selecting the "view" button on the front of the Alladin monitor. (That's the button where you can go through all the view combinations of all the cameras.) The last one is rear only and, sure enough, I could then use the up and down arrows to adjust the rear camera. I always thought it was just broken...........%$^&*()

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Freemn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #12

Lukeaa has it right about the logic put forth when deciding to run a low pressure outlet to the curb side of the coach. My tank is on the street side so I logically created a low pressure bbq after numerous other posters did it sucessfully with the Weber Baby Q. I never tried the weber with bottled propane so that will be the first task when I hit sunny clime this weekend. My luck it is the bbq that is flawed. I hate to have to put out more $ for the extend a stay and another 10 feet of hose and several more adapters, labor to construct the hose properly, etc etc. Oh well- it's
only money, as the DW often says. I will post my success/failure.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
You all have me curious about this now. We have the valve on the curbside of the coach, and we have the Weber Baby Q as well. Tony bought a hose from Ace Hardware, and we turn on the propane, start the grill, and it works. The only thing we've had to be careful about is insuring that all of the connections are tight. The Weber Baby Q directions say that you should light it, close the cover, and allow it to heat up for at least 10 minutes before using. Have you tried that? Good luck!

Brenda, of...
Old 01-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #14

Brenda, do you ever cook rare steaks, nicely charred on the outside, but very red on the inside? I don't think the Weber Baby Q will do that when connected to the low side of propane system.

Maybe your curbside connection is high pressure??

Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote