Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cool Beaver Owner's---Basement TV outlet

2007 era Beaver Contessa, So, I decided to mount a TV in the basement that already had a coax hookup and ac power. We are not heavy duty TV watchers but I had a spare one hanging around. One question left, where is the signal originating from? It does not mention this outlet in the Manual. Tried the coach antenna to no avail, We do not have cable input available to try. We do have a Directv but no receiver for that outlet available. Anyone in the community have the answer? Thanks in advance.
Tom
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

As I recall, it terminates in the upper front cabinet either where the stereo is or over the driver's seat where the antenna amp switch is.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
As I recall, it terminates in the upper front cabinet either where the stereo is or over the driver's seat where the antenna amp switch is.
That's where my "curbside compartment coax" comes from.
I have it, (and 5 other coax cables), connected to a "box of many buttons", similar to this one:
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #4

My 2008 Beaver Contessa didn't have a coax switch box like that. It only have an A/B coax switch. It's been 2+ years since I sold it. So my memory may be a bit rusty.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On my 07 Navigator the basement hook up is the same feed as the bedroom TV. I have DISH and use a dual receiver box, when I sit outside and watch TV it gets the same feed as the bedroom. The main TV that comes out of the ceiling in the front is feed one. Hope this helps. Randy
Old 06-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well no such luck at finding any signal in the basement outlet, I too have A/B switch in bedroom but things have been changed around from original so that was of no use. I did find 2 coax cables bundled up with the bedroom wires that had no connectors on them (like they had been cut off). I put connectors on them and tried finding signals and sending a signal through them. still could not get anything in basement........................ hmmm not sure of my next step yet.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomckeon View Post
Well no such luck at finding any signal in the basement outlet, I too have A/B switch in bedroom but things have been changed around from original so that was of no use. I did find 2 coax cables bundled up with the bedroom wires that had no connectors on them (like they had been cut off). I put connectors on them and tried finding signals and sending a signal through them. still could not get anything in basement........................ hmmm not sure of my next step yet.
tomeckeon
Apparently I did not make it clear that the coax in the OS bay on the passenger side runs from the upper front cabinet, (where the TV is/was), as installed by SMC to that OS compartment.... (NOT from the bedroom).

My "box of many buttons" is next to the front TV....and has 5-6 coax cables connected to it....one is the coax that terminates in the passenger side OS bay.... (so a TV set can be used outside the coach on the passenger side)
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

Mel,

I doubt Tom misunderstood your post. You and I have similar (now outdated) configurations that routed everything through your pictured multiswitch. Since everything back then was Standard Definition everything was routed on R59 coax.

Now with satellite and digital HD TV there are no more switchboxes and things seem to have migrated to the bedroom for the "hub" of activities. I suspect that Tom has one of these newer configurations.

I am slowly converting our coach to this new technology and it is a bit of a pain to track down the old cabling. I can appreciate Tom's confusion.

Bob
Bob&AnnaMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Mel,
I doubt Tom misunderstood your post. You and I have similar (now outdated) configurations that routed everything through your pictured multiswitch.
Bob
Bob
I agree that the information about my coach is useless IF Tomckeon's OS coax originates in the bedroom.
However I thought perhaps Tomckeon might find it helpful to know that the OS coax, in my coach, originates in the front of my coach, (because it's possible that his might also).
Sorry
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Good morning and thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I've torn everything out looking for Mel's switchbox and have not found it. Things can be hidden pretty well so I'm not done looking yet. I'm actually leaning towards the 2 mysterious unmarked cable ends that were found in the BR. I can't imagine what else they could be? the DW thinks I'm spending waaay too much time on this, since we watch so little tv, but I like things to work.........
Tom
Old 06-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Good morning and thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I've torn everything out looking for Mel's switchbox and have not found it. Things can be hidden pretty well so I'm not done looking yet. I'm actually leaning towards the 2 mysterious unmarked cable ends that were found in the BR. I can't imagine what else they could be? the DW thinks I'm spending waaay too much time on this, since we watch so little tv, but I like things to work.........
Tom
Tom
I did not mean to infer that I thought you had a "box of many buttons",
(only that my OS cable comes from the area in the front upper cabinet).
BTW, I like things to work as well and I to spend way to much time fixing unimportant things.
Mel
'96 Safari, (everything's working....today)!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I think I can now put this to bed!!!!
The curbside basement outlet DID have Cable/Antenna signal all along!!! the TV that I hung in there did not have DTV converter capabilities.................... like the newer one in the BR has. A DUH moment............. I took the "Digitalstream" converter box that was used with the old TV in BR and hooked it up in basement. "Lo and behold"! it works pretty darn good!
I still don't know if I have Mel's magic box of buttons or what those 2 loose cables in BR are, or how to get the Directv signal there but one problem is solved!!
Thanks much for all the help. This forum is GREAT!
Old 06-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
I think I can now put this to bed!!!!
The curbside basement outlet DID have Cable/Antenna signal all along!!! the TV that I hung in there did not have DTV converter capabilities.................... like the newer one in the BR has. A DUH moment............. I took the "Digitalstream" converter box that was used with the old TV in BR and hooked it up in basement. "Lo and behold"! it works pretty darn good!
I still don't know if I have Mel's magic box of buttons or what those 2 loose cables in BR are, or how to get the Directv signal there but one problem is solved!!
Thanks much for all the help. This forum is GREAT!
tomckeon

Mel
Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #14

Attached is my TV/Antenna configuration. I recently upgraded to HD (TV's/Antenna/OTA Antenna) and added a TV to the basement. Originally (SD Days), the coax that fed the bedroom TV was "Split" via a splitter in the front entertainment cabinet. That Split fed the basement and bedroom coax, i.e., what you saw on the bedroom was the same as the basement coax. It was a bugger to locate that splitter. I eliminated the splitter creating 3 independent coax connections. One for the Front TV, one for the bedroom TV, and last but not least one for the basement TV. The hard part was running two NEW coax runs from the front cabinet 3 way splitter back to the bedroom & basement TV's for Over The Air (OTA)/RV Park connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari Serengeti M-4040 Entertainment Configuration.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	65992  
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver