Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bed stuck open

Hello,

Just ran into a new problem. We have an 04 Diplomat and decided to turn the mattress over and took it off the platform. While the mattress was off the platform we decided to open up the platform to store a few items, it has 2 gas cylinders that helps with the lift and holds the weight from the mattress. The platform is now stuck open, the gas cylinders are locked in the full open position and will not close, no mattress weight is on it at all just the platform lid stuck in the full open position. I can not get these gas struts to close. Any one else had a simliar problem? I am not very happy right now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem, fooled with it for hours. Then, I decided to put the mattress back on it anyway and the added weight in the right balance, it closed just fine. Try putting the mattress back on and see if it works.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Hansville

Yes - we had this happen to us although not both gas cylinders at the same time.

I went to a local autoshop (like NAPA or similar) and ordered a replacement. This arrived the next day.

In the meantime I just unscrewed "the culprit" thereby enabling me to close the lid.

Not the biggest of jobs but annoying never the less.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I got her wifelyness to sit on it while I pushed it down, worked great. The biggest problem I've had is keeping anything from coming apart in the bed. First the whole thing came loose from the wall, then the gas spring mounts broke off on both sides. Had to "reengineer" the mountings, they have been good for the last three years that way. Another thing that happened was the bed box came loose from the slide and allowed the slide to tilt as it went in and out. That eventually cause it to bind so I thru bolted the mounts to the bottom of the slide, that was also 3 yrs ago, been good ever since.
Good luck.
Ron
Old 04-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I took off the clips on the gas struts and was able to close the lid without the struts holding it. I tried putting a lot of weight on it and did not move. We very rarely open the bed up and was a bit surprised to see it get stuck open. It will take a little extra muscle to open the bed lid now. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansville View Post
I tried putting a lot of weight on it and did not move.
The new gas cylinder that I purchased as a replacement I could not move until it was fitted. I also tried applying manual pressure. Conclusion: Don't deem them broke just because they don't move when applying manual pressure.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #7

another thought.. our cylinders lock, so that the bed doesnt come down when we dont want it to.

i cant remember exactly, but i think our lock are RED in color.

perhaps this? else id agree with putting the bed back on for the extra weight.
Pappy2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote