Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
bedroom slide - gear pin sheared?

I have a 2000 Signature and the rear slide will not go in or out. The motor runs and the shaft turns but the drive gear through which the shaft runs that engages the slide rail will not turn. Based on my searches and help from others here, it sounds like a shear pin, but I can see the shear pins elsewhere on the shaft and they are intact. Below are pictures of my particular set up. The motor is mounted to a frame with a single shaft coming out of the gear box with a single gear which engages the teeth on a rail that runs down the center of the slide. I assume the gear is held on the shaft by a shear pin but I can't quite tell, and before I pull the motor I want to get some ideas from others who may have dealt with this already.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Yes that appears to be a shear pin through the gear into the shaft. Question is does that gear turn at all?
If not, does the shaft turn?
If the shaft does turn then the pin is broken even though you see both ends.
If the shaft does not turn and the motor runs, then the problem is inside the motor gear box.
There are also gears inside the gear box and I think one of them may either have a pin through the shaft coming out of the motor itself.
The shaft may also be keyed and the key broken that engages a gear.
The shaft could also be flat on one side going into a hole in the gear shaped the same.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The shaft turns but the gear doesn't. There are no labels on the motor or gear box but this looks to me to be a Power Gear set up. Do y'all agree? If so, I have seen parts lists with gears that are attached with a Woodruff key. I guess I'm pulling the motor.

One other question. To get the shaft out I need to remove at least one shear pin. Do you just punch it out? And is it reusable?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If the shaft turns and the gear doesn't, it HAS to be the shear pin. I would certainly eliminate that probability before removing the motor....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Must be a broken pin in the gear if it does not turn and the shaft through it does. Pull the pin ends you can see out of the gear. At that point the shaft should pull out of the gear. Then drive the broken part out of the shaft after the gear is off. You can find new pins at a hardware store or a roll pin at some auto parts stores.

Does not sound like the problem is with the motor or gear box in that you see the shaft turn and the gear not move.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That looks like a standard power gear set up.

There is a square shaft, that is turning, but the gear is not turning.. The square shaft turns a round shaft that runs throught the gear, at the intersection of square and round there is a shear pin.. At the motor end there is also a round output shaft on the transmission, This shaft is pinned to the square shaft.

The standard "pin" is a 1/4 inch diamater #8 bolt, with NYLOCK nut, I found the following out the hard way.

you want a bolt long enough that the threaded portion is completly exposed when you shove it through the shaft, Drop a flat washer, then a few lock washers (they are thicker) and finally another flat washer over it to "build up" the shaft so you can properly tighten down the nut.

Though there is a specified torque,, I have never bothered when tightening down mine.

Save your used Nylock nuts if you ever shear another.. Some campgrounds use quarter inch bolts to hold picnic tables together and I'll use a used NYLOCK when the bench dumps me on the ground.. Then I call for maintenance to replace the OTHER one.

Tags
slide