Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

Bedroom slide issue

Just purchased 2005 HR Sceptor, 4 Slides the bedroom king bed, pauses when sliding in and out, had to give it a push to start it in and had to use the manual drive to bring it in a few inches before the motor drive would bring it in, any ideas as to the cause?

Bob B
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #2

You found a good forum.
There are a number of threads on slideout problems you can google through this site's search function. Many of the problems start with weak house batteries, or undercharged ones.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #3

Could be something dragging in the slide mechanism that is causing it to bog down. If yours is like mine you can look under bed and possibly see some of the slide mech. You may have to remove a cover to get at it.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine did that and it was caused by some teeth missing on the gear drive.

As onechaddude said look under your bed. Mine was under there covered by plywood. If the gear has missing teeth you'll need to identify what brand gear assembly you have and try to locate one.

I'm lucky because I have a dealer near me that builds and installs slideouts and they took care of it for me.

They did mention those gears were sometimes hard to purchase.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours has a couple of rollers on a shaft that support the bed as it slides in or out, near the foot of the bed inside and underneath. They had not been tightened at the factory and were out of the channel they ride in so the bed was sliding on buttons on the carpet, lots of drag. Might see if your works this way. Hope this may help, happy trails Bert
Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would agree with all the possible causes above. I'd start with the batteries for sure. My bedroom bed-side slide is extremely slow if I move it without the batteries being on charge (i.e. when they are above 13V, on shore power or generator). So I usually move my slides out before I dump air but after I get the batteries charging (shore power or generator), and move them in after I inflate my air bags but before I unplug from shore power or turn off my generator. In a pinch, all my slides work on batteries alone but they all work better and faster with the batteries above 13V.

I've also had two other issues with my bedroom bed-side slide.

Three years ago, the 12V cable loom near the slide motor under the bed got all caught up in the slide motor mechanism. I removed the thin plywood access cover under the bed to access the motor and see what the problem was. It was an easy fix with a few cable ties, a few wires splices and making a cover for the exposed gear mechanism that had snagged the wire loom so it wouldn't happen again. So far so good three years later - and we full-time in our motorhome.

Another issue - last year the slide started "hanging up" when I first started to close it. I looked up at the floor of the bed-side slide from underneath it outside, and saw "streaks" gouged into the bottom of the floor outside. After moving aside the rubber seal under the slide and looking around a bit, I noticed the rollers on one side had come out of adjustment and the slide was "dragging" on the roller frame. It was a relatively simple adjustment to bring the rollers up again (there's an adjustment bolt to turn on the roller frame). So far so good one year later.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you found - it could help someone else with the same problem.
Retd_ontheRd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide