RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well we just went through an "all nighter" rain storm, not a torent, but just steady rain. Well we have to work tomorrow and started to pickup and close the MH up for the week and we found that the bedroom slide had been leaking in the front corner. Anyone know of a common cause to look for? I REALLY dont want to take it to the dealer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well we just went through an "all nighter" rain storm, not a torent, but just steady rain. Well we have to work tomorrow and started to pickup and close the MH up for the week and we found that the bedroom slide had been leaking in the front corner. Anyone know of a common cause to look for? I REALLY dont want to take it to the dealer.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
JDT

We have an 05 Ambassador that had the same issue, it leaked at the front of the bedroom slide. It only leaked when it was in the open position, when closed there was not a problem. Turned out the gasket that seals the slide at the top when it is opened was not aligned properly when installed. It was too high on one end and did not make a tight seal. Water that blew in under the slide topper made it past the seal and down the inside of the slide to the floor. Monaco fixed it under warranty even though it was 6 months past the expiration.

Hope this helps.

Jim
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My only experience with a leaking slide out was on my 2005 Fleetwood Southwind. It poured water down one end when it was open. On mine there was a piece of angle iron where the side wall meets the top. There wasn't any sealant on the top side of the angle iron. It was obvious that the sealant was missing when I ran my hand over it. It was still under warranty so Fleetwood covered the repairs.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks I will check the top seal next weekend when go out, ours also only leaks when open. Maybe I can do it myself, I HATE the dealer.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It looked like a clear silicone they used on mine.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had the same problem on my 06 Endeavor. Monaco finally found the leak was coming from the seam on the slide. If you look at the side of the slide you will see a seam between the bottom and the side about an inch from the bottom. Make sure it is sealed with Silicon. On mine it was not sealed and water would get in the seam and run inside at the front conner of the slide. Hope this helps
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by itdave:
I had the same problem on my 06 Endeavor. Monaco finally found the leak was coming from the seam on the slide. If you look at the side of the slide you will see a seam between the bottom and the side about an inch from the bottom. Make sure it is sealed with Silicon. On mine it was not sealed and water would get in the seam and run inside at the front conner of the slide. Hope this helps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! I'll check that too.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #9

I have been in the Santa Barbara storms for the past week in 03 Safari Sahara. Bedroom slide leaking exactly as described above on the Endeavor and others. Sounds like this is going to be interesting to fix!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another thing to look for is the rubber seal that rides on sidewall of slide, the seal if it has a twist in rubber seal as it comes down the slide wall will allow water to get behind rubber seal and run down behind it to floor.
Use your loop end of awning rod and run it up rubber seal to make seal lay flat against the sidewall of slide.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here we are in the summer of 08, I had the same problems and thought I had them solved, Nope!!

The gasket that runs around the bottom of the bedroom slide has a grove in it, it fits over a toung along the side of the coach then it curves in and follows the cup that is in each corner. I figured that out from here. The left side came out of the cup. It took some convincing but I got the gasket back onto the cup and sealed the gasket to the cup, the other thing to look for is the rivot they used to install the cup, that needs to be sealed, clean off the old caulking and put a daugb on your finger and cover the rivot head.

Hope this helps somebody.

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Our 04 Imperial did that too. We took it to Elkhart before the warranty expired and they had it for 5 days trying to get it to seal up. They had to remove the slide and put us up in a hotle fr a couple days to get it done. Since then I've seen 3-4 different configs on the seals around that area of the rear slides, looks like an "area of concern" to me. It hasn't leaked since. I do go around and pull the seals out so they are not pinched or folded over when I deploy the slides to make sure they seal right. They've even put something that looks like the non-skid step pads to make sure the seals are properly positioned when the slide deploys and retracts.
Ron