RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bedroom Slideout - Frame Mechanism Pulled Loose From Coach Floor

My bed slideout is actuated by an electric slideout mechanism. Recently, the mechanism frame pulled loose from the coach floor. It is attached to the floor with approximately twenty 1.5 inch screws. All pulled loose.

Since I'm uncertain what the coach floor is made of and unsure what lies beneath it, I've been apprehensive to effect repairs. I drilled two new holes in the mechanism frame in an attempt to place two new screws. One screw appeared to hold tight in the floor material--the other did not. It appears it might be helpful to install an anchor into the floor similar to the ones used to mount heavy mirrors or picture frames on a standard home interior wall. Before doing so it would be helpful to know what the floor is made of, i.e. it's cross section and to know if there is any wiring etc. underneath. If anyone has experienced this type of problem before and/or has ideas on how to repair this please let me know. I can't move the coach until I get this figured out.

Noe: I've attached an image of the slideout frame to this thread. You can see the screw holes on both sides of the black, metal frame.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4998.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	231743  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers

I will note I discovered numerous loose screws on my 01 a few years ago. Might be worth checking if you have a 01 range dynasty. I would pound slightly oversized dowels with exterior wood glue on them. Let it dry for 24 hours in glue on slightly then pre drill undersized for the screws. I壇 start there before drilling into the floor. If you do have to drill new I would go no deeper than your existing holes.

Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:34 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

I have a similar situation with my 2000 Endeavor. There is steel tubing below the plywood or OSB, and I知 guessing that the anchor screws are supposed to thread into the steel tubing. Over time, the wood compresses a bit, allowing the mechanism to move. The leverage of the slide weight and the slide motor are enough to pop the heads off of the anchor screws. Each screw that fails places additional stress on those that remain. There is no way to get a tool onto the broken screw without extensive floor damage. A local metal fabricator suggested drilling between the existing screws, with a large enough hole to put a threaded insert into the steel tubing, allowing the use of threaded bolts instead of sheet metal screws. I知 waiting for warmer weather to try it.
slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would cutout the carpeting so the frame rests directly on the subfloor. The carpeting is "spongy" and can allow some movement which lets the screws rock and loosen.

Add a little wood glue to each hole and then install the next larger screw size in each hole (so if there was a #10 x 1-1/4 screw in there, use a #12 x 1-1/4).

I would not go any longer on the screws. And if you cut away the carpeting first, probably be better to go a 1/4" shorter on the screws. You don't want to risk running the screws through the bottom of slide.

The larger screws and carpenter's wood glue will ensure those new screws will not pull out.
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You might try some of the suggestions, removing the carpeting is important. You might also trying adding some heavy clips that overlap the angle along each side to keep it tight to the floor. The additional screws in the clips should strengthen the attachment and keep it from moving.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
I will note I discovered numerous loose screws on my 01 a few years ago. Might be worth checking if you have a 01 range dynasty. I would pound slightly oversized dowels with exterior wood glue on them. Let it dry for 24 hours in glue on slightly then pre drill undersized for the screws. I壇 start there before drilling into the floor. If you do have to drill new I would go no deeper than your existing holes.
Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I have an 01 Dynasty as well. I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you are suggesting by "pound slightly oversized dowels on them". If possible, could you describe what you are suggesting a bit further?

Thank you.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I have a similar situation with my 2000 Endeavor. There is steel tubing below the plywood or OSB, and I知 guessing that the anchor screws are supposed to thread into the steel tubing. Over time, the wood compresses a bit, allowing the mechanism to move. The leverage of the slide weight and the slide motor are enough to pop the heads off of the anchor screws. Each screw that fails places additional stress on those that remain. There is no way to get a tool onto the broken screw without extensive floor damage. A local metal fabricator suggested drilling between the existing screws, with a large enough hole to put a threaded insert into the steel tubing, allowing the use of threaded bolts instead of sheet metal screws. I知 waiting for warmer weather to try it.
I spoke with Monaco and was told the original screws were screwed into the OSB only. They were not supposed to be attached to the steel tubing. How do you plan to locate the steel tubing below the OSB? I'm a bit concerned to start drilling new holes blindly/

Thank you.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
You might try some of the suggestions, removing the carpeting is important. You might also trying adding some heavy clips that overlap the angle along each side to keep it tight to the floor. The additional screws in the clips should strengthen the attachment and keep it from moving.

What do you see as the advantage of using clips versus just drilling a few new holes in the steel frame? The problem I have found is that the integrity of the OSB is poor at best and screws don't fasten tightly.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinexplore View Post
I spoke with Monaco and was told the original screws were screwed into the OSB only. They were not supposed to be attached to the steel tubing. How do you plan to locate the steel tubing below the OSB? I'm a bit concerned to start drilling new holes blindly/

Thank you.

I wish that I could tell you that I have a solid plan. I知 not afraid to drill some small-diameter exploratory holes, but I知 really hoping that the slide mechanism crosses over some steel structure. I know that there are tools to detect the metal floor structure through the OSB, but I知 not sure where to find them. The farther from the wall, the better it will work. IMO, there痴 a lot of shoddy design in my coach, and I知 hoping to improve it as I work through the renovation process.
slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Okay. I checked mine again and a couple were not tight. If you have an older dynasty I would check
Here痴 what I did
Pulled one screw at a time and put one (sands length as screw) 1/8 dowel in the hole coated with exterior wood glue. Then I coated a 2nd 1/8 dowel with glue and cut the end on a Angie so I would go in next to the dowel already in the hole. Tapped it in with a hammer and trimmed the excess with a chisel. I added a star washer to the screw and screwed it in with a drill Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6238.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	233395Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6239.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	233396Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6237.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	233397
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Good job. That should hold for along time.

CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, frame, led, slide, slideout