RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Best indoor/outdoor thermometer ?

Hi folks. It seems we have to replace our indoor/thermometer every 12-18 months due to transmitter failure.We have been using LaCrosse Technologies unit.
Does anyone know of a more reliable unit ?

Thanks for your help.

monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have 2 different Oregon Scientific units. 1 wireless unit I have had for over 20 years. The other is hard wired and about 4 years old.

Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #3

Where and how do you have the outdoor transmitter mounted? our LaCrosses last longer than that. Are you following the procedure to resync the transmitter and receiver when you replace batteries in the transmitter?
SLOweather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:27 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Where and how do you have the outdoor transmitter mounted? our LaCrosses last longer than that. Are you following the procedure to resync the transmitter and receiver when you replace batteries in the transmitter?
What SLOweather said.

We have two LaCrosses, an Acurite 00593W, and two Acurite 702's.

The 702's are simple wireless, indoor/outdoor thermometers. We use one with the remote (outdoor) sensor in the coach refrigerator to keep an eye on the temp in there. I'm guessing that batteries last at least a year and replacing them is straightforward and simple.

We use one of the LaCrosse units to monitor the temperature in a chest freezer in the garage. I don't think the batteries in the remote sensor last a year but they do last quite a while. I'm happy with the performance given that the remote sensor lives in a below-zero steel box.

The LaCrosses and the Acurite 00593W have battery replacement procedures that are more involved. That said, the Acurite 00593W is my favorite because it has a large display with pressure, humidity, temp, moon phase, forecast, and an "atomic" (WWVB) clock.

The Acurite 00593W is no longer sold but they probably have a functional equivalent.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia, Linux Mint 19.2
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #5

I purchased a Kalawen Projection Alarm Clock with three sensors from Amazon for $35.99 that includes one outdoor sensor. Additional sensors were purchased for $12.99 each. Have been happy with this so far. I keep a couple small heaters in the Motorhome that is parked at my house and always on 50 amp. I have positioned two of the sensors in different positions in the motor home and can see the temperature of those locations from my bedroom and monitor if temps are getting a little low. You can monitor all three sensors (temps.) through the projection or on the unit.
robertj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The transmitter is mounted on the outside of the coach next to the forward awning arm, almost directly outside of where the receiver is. Changing batteries and re-syncing does not work. Since we are in AZ I think the hot summer temps may have something to do with it.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

FWIW, I looked and thought a long time to find a good place to mount the outdoor transmitter. I finally settled on mounting them (we have 2 different displays) behind the front license plate. In the wind and out of the sun, but protected from direct rain.
SLOweather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I attached mine with a bungee to the framing inside my propane tank area.

Here's a thread on the subject.

Where did you mount your outdoor thermometer sensor?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info folks. I bought an off brand that was the only 5 star rated on Amazon. Too bad it was celsius and I had to send it back. I am now trying an Accurite
Old 10-22-2019, 10:50 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ordered this one and works great. I can check inside temp, outside, and most importantly the wet bay temp.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-02082...X81B2409BAR5HY
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

SLOweather,

I mounted the outdoor transmitter under the passenger side front slide out, using 2” wide industrial Velcro available at the big box store. I selected a location that didn’t interfere with the slide operation, and keeps the transmitter in the shade. The Velcro holds the device securely, but allows it to be removed for battery replacement. It works perfectly.

Hope this helps

Jim

zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, indoor, outdoor