Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Any opinions on best value for purchase of 4 new house batteries for the coach? Costco? Walmart? the Cummins dealer wants $300 each and we need 4 of them... thanks in advance...

Brenda, of...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Any opinions on best value for purchase of 4 new house batteries for the coach? Costco? Walmart? the Cummins dealer wants $300 each and we need 4 of them... thanks in advance...

Brenda, of...
Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hey Brenda...
How have you guys doing? You need to holler when you head back up into Oregon this year. I remember that there had just been a thread on this topic...so I went and found it for you! Good Luck!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think my next set I'm going to pay the price and try AGM's. Would really like to eliminate battery acid issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure a 2 or 3 year old moho needs new batteries?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bsavage:

Brenda, of... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hey MM! We're doing great... just been very busy. If we head that way I will let you know, but we've cut the Washington trip out of the schedule this year, so I don't know that we'll get through Oregon.

As for whether a 2 or 3 year old coach needs new batteries... I wish it didn't. Our generator went down again this past weekend, this time Cummins said they found a broken ground wire and some corroded wires. In the process, they tested the batteries, and they won't charge. I will say Arizona is brutal on batteries, our car batteries usually don't last more than 3 years. So, I don't know why for sure, but apparently yes, we need new batteries.

Don, I know this is probably a stupid question... but what are AGM's... and what is the average cost of them?

Thanks again...

Brenda, of...
Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 AM   #7

We got our replacement batteries last year @ Sam's. Energiser brand, all 4 for $260. When we checked the original Interstates 3of the 4 were still in great shape and 1 was failing. That was at 6.5yrs. We do check the batteries often and add distilled water as needed but never overfill. Are the AGMs lifetimes?
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Also, forgot to say thanks for the link to the previous thread, MM... that is very helpful. After reading our manual, I now understand that the AGM batteries are "Absorbed Glass Mat", and after calling a few places, it seems that those AGM batteries are about $280 each, whereas the acid batteries are around $90 each. So, we're going to go with the acid batteries, I think... but now that I have called around, apparently none of our local Sam's clubs have any, the Interstate Store does have them, and the Batteries Plus store has their own brand for $94 each or another brand for $120 each. They say there is no difference in the quality between their brand and the other brand (no, I can't remember the name of the other brand, but I don't think it was any of the ones mentioned here or on the other thread). So, any further opinions? Interstate or Batteries Plus' own brand? Or something else?

Thanks again,

Brenda, of...
Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Sorry that it looks like we wonn't see you this year...

If you go to this link...you can learn about AGM batteries

Hope this helps...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks again, MM. The info on the AGM batteries is very helpful... the Lifelines are the ones currently in the coach, so we're going to call the manufacturer as they say there is a 60 month warranty, and obviously, they are not 5 years old! Good job!

Brenda, of...
Old 05-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Okay, here's the update. First, MM, THANK YOU!!! If I hadn't looked at that website, Tony wouldn't have said "hey, those are the batteries we have now, is there a warranty?"! And yes, a 5 year warranty. So I called Lifeline, they directed us to a local distributor, he checked the batteries... 3 good, one not. Of course you apparently have to replace all four, or the new one will kill the old ones (don't ask me... that's what the guy said), but we did get a prorated discount because of the warranty of $100 off each one, so instead of $283 each, they are $183 each... and it's probably a better idea to keep the AGM batteries as that is what came with the bus. Also, many, many thanks to everyone that provided great insight here... you just saved us $400!! I love you guys (and girls)!

Brenda, of...
Old 05-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #12

For my 2005 Dynasty I switched to AGM batteries and will never buy a wet lead acid battery again. Origina house batteries failed after two years and were a house keeping mess.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, Eaglesview... we're feeling like the better batteries are the better choice. Anyone know if the "you gotta replace them all if one has gone bad" thing is true?
Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #14

You can buy Trojan batteries directly from their distributors, as I did. You will get an excellent price and a very well made battery. They will deliver even.

I bought 3 J185H's which gives me 645 AH. All batteries in a battery bank should be replaced at the same time.