RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Setting up our 1994 Jeep Wrangler to be a Toad and looking for recommendation for a towbar and brake unit. It's a 4 cylinder and weighs between 3000-3500#. I have a strong mechanical background, alot of tools (no welder) and I will probably install it myself.
Option 2-We are headed down to Lazydays in March, could have it done then. Our RV is in storage down there, so it will be an interesting trip from Northern Wisconsin in the little JEEP-ha-ha!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Setting up our 1994 Jeep Wrangler to be a Toad and looking for recommendation for a towbar and brake unit. It's a 4 cylinder and weighs between 3000-3500#. I have a strong mechanical background, alot of tools (no welder) and I will probably install it myself.
Option 2-We are headed down to Lazydays in March, could have it done then. Our RV is in storage down there, so it will be an interesting trip from Northern Wisconsin in the little JEEP-ha-ha!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #3

We have the Roadmaster All Terrain, and the M&G system. We tow an Explorer that weighs in at 4100 lbs. We have had excellent luck with both, no complaints whatsoever.
The only other thing I can suggest, make sure you get a towbar that will be easy to unhook when your toad is not totally aligned straight behind the rig when you stop or end up on uneven ground.
The M&G requires nothing special done to the car when you hook up or unhook.
Good luck.

Whippetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I was unfamiliar with the M&G system, it looks like a nice system. Need to ask the question; This may be unrealistic, but if the hose somehow became severed or burst between the DP & car would you lock up brakes on the Dp or is there a failsafe system built in?
Also, is it pretty easy to put on your own baseplates?

Thank you for your info.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #5

The air hose hookup has a coupler that will shut off and protect the rig in an emergency. For the baseplate, there should be instructions on how to mount it on your specific unit. We had it installed by Brazels, but quite a few people install their own. It is a nice easy system to use, and a very clean design .

Old 01-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info "Whippetmom". I think I will order the towbar & baseplates and do the install myself here in Wisconsin. I'll pay to have the braking system installed when I pick up the Dp in Florida.
We have a family wedding this summer in Seattle so will take our rv out there for a nice trip. Nice state!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Innkeeper...We also have the Roadmaster All Terrain. I found the best price for it at RV Exit. They beat Camping World and other on-line sites by $300.00.

We have the SMI Air Force One brake system that uses the coach's air for braking. Their system has a safety that closes off the coach's air if the air line brakes. The system also applies the brakes on the toad in a break away situation. Very happy with both.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #8

Innkeeper, have a wonderful trip out here, it is a beautiful state. Let us know when you get to these neck of the woods, it would be fun to meet you. I think you will be happy with the M&G, it is a nice system.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Diplomat Don and Whippetmom for all the great info. Checked out the RV Exit website and the prices are like you said, considerably lower even with our Presidents Club discount.
It's all about marketing and creating the impression you are the cheapest.

We bought appliances at Best Buy in the past in a bigger city we used to live in, when we moved to our little town, the family owned lumber yard across the street beats Best Buy's prices, delivers it and hooks it up for you,

The wedding is over the 4th of July holiday, always nice to meet others in our travels if it works for everybody and time permits.