Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #1

Question Big Rig Access, Pilot Travel Cnt W Des Moines

Looking for information on access to the rv pumps at Pilot Travel center in West Des Moines ( I-80 & I35). I have google earth this location but can't determine where the big rig diesel pumps are located. Most of time I Have use Flying J's which means I'm always looking for that rv island for service. I assume that I can use the 18-wheeler lane if rv site isn't available.

Any information will be helpful?

Thanks
slsbuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most Pilots don't have a RV Island. The Des Moines Truck lanes are on the east side of the station. Easy to see in Google Earth.
You can use them.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have been in that station many times. If it were me, I would look for another fuel stop. This one is extremely busy with trucks and can be very difficult to navigate in with the traffic.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsbuz View Post
Looking for information on access to the rv pumps at Pilot Travel center in West Des Moines ( I-80 & I35). I have google earth this location but can't determine where the big rig diesel pumps are located. Most of time I Have use Flying J's which means I'm always looking for that rv island for service. I assume that I can use the 18-wheeler lane if rv site isn't available.

Any information will be helpful?

Thanks
As was mentioned, Pilots do not have RV Islands. We always use the truck lanes, even at Flying J because the turns are usually tight at the RV lanes for 40 feet towing a car. If you use the truck lanes, be sure to pull forward after fueling and then go inside to pay for the fuel. We have the Frequent Fueler Advantage card registered for pump start which allows us to start the pump and purchase the fuel before we go inside. Works great and we use it all the time.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with Bob on using truck lanes and learning the etiquette of using these lanes is important. They are busy but the flow through the lanes is pretty smooth, and the room to maneuver for a big rig towing is usually must. We also use the Pilot/FlyingJ Frequent Fueler Advantage card which eliminates one trip inside - to get the pump turned on. Important to pull up after fueled and before you go inside to pay since this a step that keeps the vehicles flowing smoothly through the pumps. Also the truck pumps have high flow nozzles - not sure about RV pumps - so you can pump large volumes quickly and get out of the lanes. Just my thoughts, our rig towing will only fit in the truck lanes so we have had to learn the ropes for using these lanes. Hope this is of some value.

Lew
Old 10-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
At Pilot, I have not had any success with the pump start using my registered FF card. I just contacted customer service and they claim it should work. I'll let you know when I try it again.

As far as using Flying J rv islands, not sure why the problems accessing them. I have a 45' pulling a H2 and have never had a problem getting to or leaving the pumps.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I always use truck lanes at Pilot and FJ. Only had my card fail to start the pump once. Went inside to start. Always receive the 3 cent discount as well at truck lanes. I prefer the truck lanes for pump nozzle size.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
As was mentioned, Pilots do not have RV Islands. We always use the truck lanes, even at Flying J because the turns are usually tight at the RV lanes for 40 feet towing a car. If you use the truck lanes, be sure to pull forward after fueling and then go inside to pay for the fuel. We have the Frequent Fueler Advantage card registered for pump start which allows us to start the pump and purchase the fuel before we go inside. Works great and we use it all the time.

Bob
The only problem with doing the truck island is that if you have a card like mine Pen Fed, it gives you 5% back if you swipe your card at the pump but nothing if you swipe it inside. You want to use the RV island if you have pen fed card.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:15 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post
As far as using Flying J rv islands, not sure why the problems accessing them. I have a 45' pulling a H2 and have never had a problem getting to or leaving the pumps.
I have always wondered myself how those RV drivers manage to get into and out of a lot of the older campground's sites.
Maybe they just camp at Wal-Marts with big lots. And never drive off of the Interstate roads. 2 lane roads and driving in towns must be a nightmare for them.

I have found those fast big truck nozzle's will pump many gal. of foam into the tank and it never gets close to full.
RV Island pump set on medium and then on low for last 5 gal. does a better job.

And a lot of the RV Islands now give a receipt at the pump. No long walk inside to wait to get a receipt or pay like the truck lanes. That long walk and wait in line makes the fast truck fill. Slower then the RV Island slower pumps.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel