Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bilstein Comfort Shock PN

Has anyone changed to Bilstein Comfort Shocks on their 2002/03 Diplomat RR8R chassis recently, and if so what is the part number. The 2002/03 RR8R chassis doesn't show listing but the RR8S does. It lists 1999-2001 RR8R and 2004-10 RR8R. So what was so different about the 2002/03
Thanks
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #2

Try this
eshocks.com: Bilstein Shocks and Struts: Camelot, Diplomat, Endeavor, Imperial, Windsor, Sceptor
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mike, I actually did try that and that's where I noticed that under the 2002-07 heading it shows in brackets for (RR8S). I also tried Shock Warehouse and they got back and said they don't have a listing for my chassis. Which I find a little strange. My shocks are eye and eye and possibly with the side rad (RR8S) they are eye and pin. I don't want to order up a set an have to return them.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #4

Here is something to consider. Take off one shock from your MH and measure center of eye to center of eye fully extended and closed and get the part number off the side and call Bilstein USA and let them cross it over and see if a BE5-F627-H0 is a direct cross over. Are all the front and back shocks the same double eye on your rig?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
That sounds like a plan, The front and rear are the same so I am suspecting that the shocks you mention are correct but want to make sure before ordering. I'll crawl under tomorrow and see if I can find a PN on the old ones and get a xreference. I haven't tried Monaco yet and may still do that.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Did them 4 months ago on my 03 Dip.

Front BE5-B402-H0
Rear BE5-B403-H0

Bilstein*Shocks:*04-07*Diplomat/Endeavor (RR8R chassis)* - eShocks.com:
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Richard, Do your shocks have the eye on the bottom and shaft at the top as in the picture in the link? If so they are different than mine. Mine are eye and eye. The plot thickens. I got part numbers of my old Koni shocks 2105 88 167 and both front and back are the same.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

Lyle, that old red Koni shock part number is not complete. You have a digit missing out of the last three numbers. And according to Koni the part numbers for the front and back axles are different for their new FSD number. Probably just a little different valving. You should look at the old shocks closer and read the part numbers again front and back.

According to Koni Tech those shocks were used on a 1993-2002 RR8R 8 bag chassis and have double eyes. They show that in 2003 they switched to the PIN tops.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
OK so I checked again, very faintly there is another 7 on one front and one rear shock and nothing on the other shocks the last 7 barely dents the paint. So the number is 2105 88 1677.
Does that get us closer to a xref for Bilstein comforts.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #10

That Koni number is still not good. Bilstein USA in their master catalog show the eye to eye shock for your series MH takes the BE5-F627-HO both front and back.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mike, you've been very helpful. The part number on the Koni are very clear except for the last digit so I can't do any better on the number. I've been in contact with Shox.com and they are suggesting HD version rather than Comfort. They say they will ride better that my Koni but have better side to side control than the comfort shocks. Now before anyone jumps in I didn't say better than Koni FSDs I said better than my Koni adjustables.
I know JIM&KATE put on the HD shocks and I think he was happy with them but haven't heard an update.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #12

While I researched the Bilsteins I was a little shocked as to how they define them as to Heavy Duty or Comfort models. On my 2004 Monaco Signature Roadmaster S Series Chassis the specified Bilsteins are part number BE5-F628-HO and are classified as Heavy Duty shocks but that same part number when used on 90-01 Monaco Signature Roadmaster S Series Chassis are classified as a Comfort shock. Same identical shock. I called Bilstein USA and asked them about it and they said it was dependent on the chassis weight and shock combination. I thought that to be pretty interesting.

I think I am going to build a shock test stand that I can pull off one shock at a time and mount it in the stand and pull a lever up and down to test each shock. There is no point in replacing all ten of my shocks because of one or two premature failures. Maybe I can find a racing buddy with a shock dyno.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The BE5 F627 HO looks to be the correct comfort shocks according to shox.com also. That's interesting about the shocks shift from HD to Comfort. I thought the valving in the Comfort was different but I guess not, it sounds like they are just a next lower on the resistance scale. I maybe start to lean towards the HD in that case. Testing the shocks might be a good idea but don't you think if you only put on a couple shocks, either the old ones are going to give up pretty quick or put undue stain on the new ones.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #14

As long as the rest of the shocks are still good I don't think it makes much difference replacing one or two shocks out of ten. If I found one bad then I would probably replace them in pairs, one in the same position either side of the MH.

I guess a HD shock on a light frame is a Comfort on a heavy frame. It surprised me.